Sponsored by:

Another Lurker gets legit.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:05 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Another Lurker gets legit.....

Dropped by the local dealer to peruse available deals on base Cayenne's. I was debating between a CPOed RRS or a new 08-09 Cayenne. Mentioned to the dealer that I really wanted a Manual to make-up for the power deficit. The stars were aligned and I left with a GTS Manual with PDCC

I do not have pics, but here is a link to the car via p-usa.com, while it lasts.

http://sonnen.porschedealer.com/2009...12612/info.php

It is truly a beast. I do plan on finding some 18" Turbo II wheels with AT tires, and will have questions to those of you who have taken yours off-tarmac. Will 30.5" tires work (265/60-18 Yoko A/T-S)? Can you remove the part of the air-dam in front of the tires? Is anyone running Toyo Open Country AT, Pireilli ATR in 255/55-18?

I'm sure the last paragraph just made me an object of derision, but I need/want to experience the low-range, PDCC & air suspension. I'm also thinking of sacriledge and putting on the front protection plate and rock rails.
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2009, 07:25 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Hawt! Nice options too, you will love it.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to say it, but if off-roading capabilities are important to you, the GTS is clearly the worst choice from the Cayenne lineup. As you are noting, the side skirts and front spoiler (along with its lowered stance relative to the other Cayennes) limit ground clearance. To start removing the spoilers and going with 18" wheels seems somewhat backwards when you are paying extra for these features in the GTS. You could purchase a less-expensive Cayenne S and have 18" wheels and no ground clearance problems from the factory.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 AM
Clutch-n-Throttle
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you sell your 21in GTS wheels, I call dibs.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:46 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Completely agree with you STATMAN. I wanted a manual transmission, and I thought the PASM and PDCC would make-up for the dangly plastic bits. Plus, Cayenne S's with PASM and PDCC seem to be rare, and i doubt I could have gotten as good a deal as I did on the GTS.

Regardless, I am going to throw on some 18" wheels, as even commuting into the City with 21" wheels is nerve racking.

Plus, if the GTS is not able to go where I need to go, I have my wife's FFRR to fall back on; which is simply amazing off-tarmac. Two similarly sized SUV's could not be more opposite in character and driving characteristics, by the way.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:24 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Completely agree with you STATMAN. I wanted a manual transmission, and I thought the PASM and PDCC would make-up for the dangly plastic bits. Plus, Cayenne S's with PASM and PDCC seem to be rare, and i doubt I could have gotten as good a deal as I did on the GTS.

Regardless, I am going to throw on some 18" wheels, as even commuting into the City with 21" wheels is nerve racking.

Plus, if the GTS is not able to go where I need to go, I have my wife's FFRR to fall back on; which is simply amazing off-tarmac. Two similarly sized SUV's could not be more opposite in character and driving characteristics, by the way.
I can understand the allure of the manual tranny, PDCC, and the good price. I actually like the dangly plastic bits on the GTS, and have my share of the said bits on my CTTS, but I'm not the type to enter any rally races! I'm sure you'll enjoy the GTS, and with the PASM up at terrain level, I doubt there will be many off-road treks that are out of your reach.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 983 Posts

I've had my Cayenne S with PASM offroad several times with 20" Sport Techno wheels. That doesn't include any rock climbing - I would never take it into that type of situation. Overall, it does fine. I've never had any trouble with it at all.

For the GTS - I think I'd stay on the pavement. Isn't that the whole idea of the GTS - more of a street only version of the Cayenne? I'm not sure what an "FFRR" is (Range Rover??), but that might be a better bet when you leave the pavement.

Enjoy the GTS - I'm sure it is a blast to drive with the manual transmission.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With any luck, we'll get to see a Cayenne GTS on its roof before this is over....Hey look, I can see the cardan shaft.
Of course, it might take more than a few guys to get the pig back on its feet....
Old 03-31-2009, 06:19 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Appreciate the comments, even ltc's.

Will not be doing any rock crawling, with the exception of one stream; which I will tip-toe through the first time with numerous stops to get out and check for rock to dangly bit clearance checks. Most of my off-tarmacing will be on crushed granite roads with numerous hill-climbs and narrow tracks - see link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20586582@N07/2092858922/

So yes ltc, there is a distinct risk of landing on my roof; but, as you can see, after rolling for 1000 feet I won't have to worry about much of anything. I am excited to compare the GTS's climbing ability against the LR3, Range Rover (FFRR), and my old GX470. I do not expect it to be better than the Land Rovers, but hope it is better than the Lexus's. The manual transmission does present more of a challenge, however.

I also plan on doing a few track-days at Laguna Seca. I managed a 1'57" second in my completely stock Cayman (17" wheels), and am wondering if I could match it in the GTS?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

manual gts = one of the few; they are a riot.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Agree Cpa4s, a complete hooligan vehicle.

Question for you. I find myself avoiding first gear, because it is so short, unless I come to a complete stop or am starting on an incline. Have you heard anything that would indicate that this is bad to do? I learned to drive on 70's era 4x4 pick-ups and FJ's, and was told to always start off in second; and the GTS seems to be of the same vein.

Thanks,

martin
Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

So yes ltc, there is a distinct risk of landing on my roof; but, as you can see, after rolling for 1000 feet I won't have to worry about much of anything.
I would suggest exiting the vehicle before seeing if the Pig can roll over and play dead.
I'll be at the bottom, sitting in a chaise lounge chair, sipping Purplesaurus Rex (I'm sure Larry's widow will be sunbathing) and I will be sure to hold up an Olympic style score card once the Pig comes to rest.

I also plan on doing a few track-days at Laguna Seca. I managed a 1'57" second in my completely stock Cayman (17" wheels), and am wondering if I could match it in the GTS?
Probably, right up until the point the brakes overheat. IIRC, there are some wonderful kitty litter traps at Laguna Seca...I found one of them in a torrential rain once in a SB race car.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Agree about the brakes, but would be willing to short my sessions in the interests of self-preservation.

Come-on ltc, you would not want to take a few laps in a manual gts? Plus, I would have 4-wheel drive to get out of the kitty litter at turns 11 or 2. For the record, I have never gotten more than one wheel off at LS, and then only once at the approach to turn 9, the experience of which convinced me to never do that ever again. I also tried not lifting once going through 6 in a Miata - still gives me shivers....
Old 04-07-2009, 09:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Agree about the brakes, but would be willing to short my sessions in the interests of self-preservation. ....
I was more concerned about the people around you...specifically in front of you.

Come-on ltc, you would not want to take a few laps in a manual gts?....
No.
Never.
Well, IF the rotting corpse of Dr. W were in the back and IF I could set the pig ablaze and send him off to a Viking funeral......MAYBE.

Manual GTS....just another bastardized pig assembled like Frankenstein from the options bin by Marketing. Pitiful.

That having been said, best of luck with your new car

Quick Reply: Another Lurker gets legit.....