Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What % of CS's Require Coolant Tube R&R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is weird... Everything i have been told is this problem is more due to location, but going by the different locations of everyone here this doesnt hold true. We have only seen 3 instances of cooling tubes, 2 so early they didnt have the new tubes, and 1 with the new tubes. But one of out techs came from LA and said they saw a bunch of them... Weird...

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Mine's the older CPO program, not the newer more restrictive CPO.
New CPO covers MUCH more than the older one, it ALMOST parallels the factory warranty...

And the Alternator is watercooled for longevity, they put out ALOT of amperage. Thank GOD they dont fail often, they are HORRIBLE to replace...

Mark
Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the climate has a big impact on how many miles till they go
Old 03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm also told that Turbos suffer failed tubes more often than CS' due to extra heat generated under the hood.

This is in line with the climate/environmental argument.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 PM
stealthn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there is my question, do the turbos have the same issue?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthn
So there is my question, do the turbos have the same issue?
Yes, and in Texas, apparently more prevalent than non-Turbos
Old 02-05-2010, 01:36 AM
oakneck
3rd Gear

Looking to buy a used Cayenne S. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but how could I tell if the car had the coolant tubes replaced?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:05 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Remove the intake...really no other way to be 100% sure....unless you are presented with certified dealer repair records stating they have been replaced with the metal tubes.

Much like the 993 DME relay, it's not if, it's when.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 PM
oakneck
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ltc
Remove the intake...really no other way to be 100% sure....unless you are presented with certified dealer repair records stating they have been replaced with the metal tubes.

Much like the 993 DME relay, it's not if, it's when.
Perhaps it's really obvious. But is there a picture reference somewhere of what it would look like?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:53 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

The new tubes are aluminum and sliver in color. The old tubes are black plastic.

You may be able to get a dentists mirror down in the valley to see if they have been done. Another way to check is to ask for the service records.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:11 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by oakneck
Perhaps it's really obvious. But is there a picture reference somewhere of what it would look like?
One of the first stickies on the top of the forum has pics.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 AM
JW3
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
All of them, it's just a matter of time.
I am not familiar with the Lemon Laws or laws that require manufacturer recall so I will ask this question. If this is a known problem and it is because of inferior parts shouldn't this be replaced under recall rules? And why hasn't Porsche replaced the parts on new cars?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JW3
I am not familiar with the Lemon Laws or laws that require manufacturer recall so I will ask this question. If this is a known problem and it is because of inferior parts shouldn't this be replaced under recall rules? And why hasn't Porsche replaced the parts on new cars?
Ne!ther am ! fam!l!ar w!th Lemon Laws or laws that requ!re manufacturer recall...

A. it is not a safety related hazard, say like the A506 Cowboy Belt Buckle recall...or the recent Toyota gas pedal recall.

B. due to A above, there is little to no incentive to scrap all the black plastic parts and replace them with much more expensive metal parts.

BTW, I apoligize for the sometimes random "!" on my keyboard, I'll have to get that checked
Old 02-06-2010, 09:01 AM
JW3
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
Ne!ther am ! fam!l!ar w!th Lemon Laws or laws that requ!re manufacturer recall...

A. it is not a safety related hazard, say like the A506 Cowboy Belt Buckle recall...or the recent Toyota gas pedal recall.

B. due to A above, there is little to no incentive to scrap all the black plastic parts and replace them with much more expensive metal parts.

BTW, I apologize for the sometimes random "!" on my keyboard, I'll have to get that checked
If I understood an older post, the metal replacement "parts" are less than $500 (retail). Seems to me this is insignificant when building an automobile like a Porsche -especially when the builders cost can be passed on to the buyer (sort of like a fart in the wind).

Don't tell me the " ! " thing is contageous
Old 02-06-2010, 11:41 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JW3

Neither am I, but if it is not a safety or emissions related item, my experience, it doesn't get a recall.

I think the coil thing may become one soon, since that fouls the plugs, causes poorer gas mileage, and possibly more air contaminants.

I just got my notice two months ago that VW is replacing all the touareg coils for free as a recall now. They also had the seatbelt thing done too.

I have had free 02 sensors and catalytic converters on my land rovers because they failed prematurely that land rover did a recall on.

My 2c.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:47 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JW3
[COLOR="DarkRed"]If I understood an older post, the metal replacement "parts" are less than $500 (retail). Seems to me this is insignificant when building an automobile like a Porsche -especially when the builders cost can be passed on to the buyer (sort of like a fart in the wind).
It's a subjective business call.

They have a LOT of inventory/orders/contracts for the plastic parts and there is no REQUIREMENT for them to replace them.
If it were an easier part to access, then perhaps, but if PAG/PCNA is going to foot the bill for the parts and LABOR, it is a very easy decision for them to make.

Back when they had more money than they knew what to do with, were going to buy every automaker in Europe, etc...perhaps, but now that they are merely a shadow of their former self and just a VW business unit, they won't spend a wrong dime...

Coolant tubes are simply another "wart" that P!g owners are going to have to learn to live with....

Quick Reply: What % of CS's Require Coolant Tube R&R?