Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne vs BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:46 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Transmission seems very good in my 05 Turbo. Maybe its not so good with the v6 engine which lacks power+torque.

They don't handle like sports cars though, so not sure how that claim has been made on this thread!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The 1st gen. tranny is a sloppy mess when compared to many of the other high-end SUV's, v6, S or turbo!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

In what way?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
Transmission seems very good in my 05 Turbo. Maybe its not so good with the v6 engine which lacks power+torque.

They don't handle like sports cars though, so not sure how that claim has been made on this thread!
It handles as much like a sports car as a 5500lb SUV can. I've seen them tracked, and people bring them out for canyon runs, etc. Of course it aint a 911, but I personally can't think of any other "truck" that can do that as well as a Cayenne S or TT AND still be capable off road (unlike the BMW "Sporty Activity Vehicle" or "Sporty Accessory Vehicle")
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I may get flamed for this but go test a Honda Pilot and report back.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 PM
doberdog

The 1st generation Cayenne has a well documented problem with transmission lag. (do a search) When in drive, press down on the throttle and count to three, that is how long it can take for the transmission to shift. Some call it the "granny" mode and Porsche does have some DME flashes they can perform but they don't get rid of the problem only improve on it. The new 08 and 09's have had this problem fixed, that is why I purchased an 08 instead of picking up a used one.
Our previous vehicle was a 4.4 X5 and even though it isn't a Cayenne it is no slouch.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:19 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Power not important, need the car to be reliable and low cost of ownership.
For the Cayenne, the 05 or 06 seems to be pretty good. The 03 & 04 seems to get more complain.

For the X5, you probably know more about it than I do. The only thing I can tell you is I have friends that swear by BMW and some that will never drive another one even if it was free.

For low cost of ownership, I must vote for the BMW. Also, be sure to get either SUV without the big wheels. FYI, the smallest wheel available for the Cayenne S is 18". At that size (255-55-18 i believe), you can still find plenty of all season tires cheap and last long time. 19" & up (mostly high performance summer tires) will be twice as much and last half as long...

Hope that helps!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you guys for your input, I personally thought the Cayenne looks kind of wacky... Will go test drive some cars tomorrow and see.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:41 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doberdog
The 1st generation Cayenne has a well documented problem with transmission lag. (do a search) When in drive, press down on the throttle and count to three, that is how long it can take for the transmission to shift. Some call it the "granny" mode and Porsche does have some DME flashes they can perform but they don't get rid of the problem only improve on it. The new 08 and 09's have had this problem fixed, that is why I purchased an 08 instead of picking up a used one.
Our previous vehicle was a 4.4 X5 and even though it isn't a Cayenne it is no slouch.
Well thats one approach but you swapped out an apparently slow gearbox for a slow car? Can't say I've noticed a 3 sec delay although as a turbo car one can obviously feel and see the boost build before it goes loony. Turbo cars need to be driven with anticipation so really not a problem.

I do like x5s though. Nice cars, very nearly bought one instead of the cayenne but ultimately was seduced by the performance, chassis and Ruf badge. Everyone told me to avoid the 4.4 when I was looking at x5s!

Still, for me this is just a family barge. I'm just not that fussy about subtle performance issues as its still a 2.3 tonne vehicle and I've got a GT3 for that. Wish i didn't have larry's headlights though!

Last edited by DanH; 03-14-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:50 AM
niche
Drifting

Robin, how are you buddy?

I had a 2002 BMW x5 4.6is and I loved it!! It was good looking, fast and fit/finish was great. I wish I had kept it. The sportier look was nicer looking than Cayenne in my opinion. Had no problems with it whatsoever. I think since power is not a big deal. I would go with the six cylinder x5. Those sixes are great!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:20 PM
doberdog

A great great engine with a sloppy transmission is more frustrating that a lower powered vehicle with a slick tranny. The 6-cylinder X5 is no speed-monster but it does a good job as a family wagon. We had our 4,4 X5 for four years and never had a stitch of trouble and the in-line six is the better of the three engines offered. I also had a 740 with the same engine and had no trouble with it either.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 PM
bbcobby
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top notch service, reliability and TCO were my top priorities until my husband made me drive the Cayenne S. After having taken out the regular V6 when my S was in the shop getting snazzier wheels, I am so glad that my husband made me test drive the S first because the V6 was wimpy. Before getting this car, I was all about what was practical and pragmatic while still being nice. That's long gone. The Cayenne S has great get up and go. I commute 40 miles daily in Texas where it is incredibly windy. The wind here would toss my RX300/330 around all the time. I don't even feel it in the Cayenne S. Love it. It's like driving a small but maneuverable tank that can haul derriere. My husband recommended it because of its weight and safety features. He also wanted to put me in a car that had enough hp to maneuver out of a bad situation if I ever had to. I hope the test driving goes well and that you both love whichever car you choose.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I may get flamed for this but go test a Honda Pilot and report back.
Bob,

A honda pilot? Are you serious?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:43 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doberdog
A great great engine with a sloppy transmission is more frustrating that a lower powered vehicle with a slick tranny.
Went for a drive in the CT today and really not noticed the problem you are referring to? Does it only occur when you are driving sedately then floor it because I noticed no such problem when i was on it. Or maybe I'm just blissfully unaware. Regardless, I don't agree that the tranny is so sloppy that I'd rather have approx half the bhp! Each to their own and all that!

Still, no getting away from the fact that its a big old barge. Went for a run in the 6RS afterwards and the contrast was as emphatic as one would expect. Cayennes really aren't sports cars.

Last edited by DanH; 03-15-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Thank you guys for your input, I personally thought the Cayenne looks kind of wacky... Will go test drive some cars tomorrow and see.
Well, how did it go? And yes, I must admit I used to think the Cayenne is ugly. But my wife likes it so we went for a test drive one day, the rest is history

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs BMW X5