Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Tail Light Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 AM
JFR-
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New member here. Wanted to thank you guys for this post and the confidence it gave me to pull "like a thousand wild horses" to finally get my stock lights to let go.

I also wanted to share my application of a "fishing line" method, which helped me get a hold of the outside corner. I simply wiggled some string behind the corner, let it slip inward on the back of the light a few inches and then tied the ends together to close the loop and create a sort of handle.

If not for this thread, there's no way I would have pulled as hard as it took to get those suckers out.

Thanks again
John
Old 12-14-2013, 05:06 PM
durand
3rd Gear

Default String works!

Thanks JFR! The string method worked very well and much better than my first removal to replace a brake bulb a couple of years ago on my 2006. Thanks again

Last edited by durand; 12-14-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add add'l words
Old 06-03-2014, 04:22 AM
sgny
1st Gear

Default Tail light screw

Originally Posted by cigardbf
Trying to replace brake bulb on 06 Cayenne. Bottom bolt came out fine. Top is just spinning and spinning. Can't tighten or loosen. Guessing the nut snapped off the assembly. Pulled it, pushed it and tried torqueing every way, no luck. So, other than drilling through the head of the bolt, any suggestions? Now I have a burned out brake light and a rattling assembly.
Did you ever end up figuring out how to get that screw off? I am having the same problem, where the top screw on the left tail light just keeps spinning and spinning and wont budge for coming off?

Please help and thanks so much
Old 03-16-2016, 08:26 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sgny
Did you ever end up figuring out how to get that screw off? I am having the same problem, where the top screw on the left tail light just keeps spinning and spinning and wont budge for coming off? Please help and thanks so much
Sorry to bring up and old thread, but having the exact same issue. Anyone have a solution??
Old 03-20-2016, 05:22 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So if this problem comes up for anyone else the only solution was drilling it out.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:53 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
So if this problem comes up for anyone else the only solution was drilling it out.
Well, I didn't drill mine.

I used a Dremel to grind the head off the bolt.

My "speed nut" (the little sheetmetal clip on thing) had rusted to the bolt. When I tried to turn it, it just broke. So the back of the speed nut was rusted to the bolt & was just spinning.

I don't think there's any way to reach inside there to hold the stupid thing. Even after I got it apart, I couldn't see a way that would have worked. You know, the old "Now that I see what happened, I should have done "this" instead.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:26 PM
Bernard
Pro

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Well, I didn't drill mine.

I used a Dremel to grind the head off the bolt.

My "speed nut" (the little sheetmetal clip on thing) had rusted to the bolt. When I tried to turn it, it just broke. So the back of the speed nut was rusted to the bolt & was just spinning.

I don't think there's any way to reach inside there to hold the stupid thing. Even after I got it apart, I couldn't see a way that would have worked. You know, the old "Now that I see what happened, I should have done "this" instead.
Do you remember what tip you used? I'm having the same problem with the top bolt. Thanks
Old 09-21-2016, 12:34 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

I think I used a somewhat worn cut-off wheel. I have a little jar of them. They are maybe 1/2"-3/4" in diameter, and as they get used up, they wear down smaller.

I used one that was maybe 1/3 gone, and it fit into the little "pop-out" cover over the bolt. It was tight, and I ended up chewing up the plastic a little bit.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:28 AM
Bernard
Pro

Thanks for the info. Did you end up grinding the head off or cut it off? Thanks
Old 09-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

It was a while back, so the memory is a bit fuzzy.

But, I sort of did both. I think I came at it from the side, and kept taking chunks off of the head until enough was gone to get it through the hole.

I also may have switched back and forth from the cut-off wheel to a grinding stone wheel (smaller diameter). I think I tried a few different cutting and grinding tips to see what worked best, and some of them worked better at different times.

It was a fairly slow process, maybe an hour of work.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Bernard
Pro

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
It was a while back, so the memory is a bit fuzzy.

But, I sort of did both. I think I came at it from the side, and kept taking chunks off of the head until enough was gone to get it through the hole.

I also may have switched back and forth from the cut-off wheel to a grinding stone wheel (smaller diameter). I think I tried a few different cutting and grinding tips to see what worked best, and some of them worked better at different times.

It was a fairly slow process, maybe an hour of work.
Thanks I'll give it a shot this evening and see how it goes.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:09 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

If your grinding? Safety glasses.
If your scared of chipping the paint?
A little marking tape on the bumper and around the light.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Bernard
Pro

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
If your grinding? Safety glasses.
If your scared of chipping the paint?
A little marking tape on the bumper and around the light.

Thanks... Had them on yesterday. I'm trying to removed the lights to pull the bumper to have it painted. I know the other light is going to have the same problem because I tried and stopped before it broke off.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:59 PM
Bernard
Pro

Got it... I first tried to use a dremel but it would've taking days to remove it. I ended up drilling it out. I used a 7/64 and 7/32

I used possibly the smallest Vise Grips ever made I had to grind down both sides of the tips so it would fit in the holes to hold the bolt from spinning but worked perfect.

I bought a new speed nut and I'll need to JB weld it in place being the top edge of the light is broken off.

I'm just going to drill out both bolts on the other light so I don't break off the edge.

Thanks for all the help

Old 09-22-2016, 08:25 PM
Bernard
Pro

Took me less then five minutes to drill out the other two bolts on the other light. The key is to not force the bolt and break the plastic holding the speed nut. Just drill them out. Hope this helps the next person.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Tail Light Replacement