Sponsored by:

Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 534 Posts

Technically any hitch will fit but because of the relatively short wheelbase of the Cayenne the hitch should be somewhat shorter than what you'll find at the local O'Reilly's or Autozone. It is SOLID, not hollow. You may also be able to get one at the local VW store (for a Toureg) for less $$ than at the P-car dealer.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:49 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would I have a problem with the hollow type and cut it back or does it lack the strength needed?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
Ski I lost my receiver so I can't go to AutoZone and get a replacement. I got another tow ball but I need to get a new receiver will I have a problem?????
I think we may have a terminology problem here. The "receiver" portion is the one that is bolted to the frame of the vehicle, the "receiver insert" is the part (about 12 - 14 in long) that the trailer hitch ball attaches to, it's the part that is easily removable and can be swapped for various shaped (lower and raise the trailer level) inserts.

The "insert" does NOT come with the trailer towing pkg. from Porsche, you must purchase one from a 3rd party and I believe this is std. for any vehicle mfgr's trailer tow pkg. All my SUV's/PU trucks have had trailer tow pkgs but none have come with the insert.

You can use any 3" insert (Class 3/5 hitch I think) from Auto Zone, U-Haul ect., they all fit. Trailer ***** are the same, just get the size and shank length to fit your trailer and insert. The Inserts cost about $15 - $25 depending on the shape and where you shop.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:26 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't purchased the Cayenne, find one with the tow package already installed, it will save you from major headaches. Heck, when I bought a trailer with it's own brake system I had to go through the hassle to get a controller put in by someone other than the dealer that sold me the trailer. They tried, but quickly gave up when they realized that the install was a delicate matter and referred me to a dealer that specializes in Porsche installs. They still don't have my winch working. Patience.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:08 PM
pzalkind
1st Gear

I put a Curt 2008 hitch on a 2009 Cayenne today. Besides a little trimming around the hitch to get the slip bumper cover back on, works like a charm. $350 all in. No wiring.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:33 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Mine already has the tow package I thought he was talking about some kinda special "receiver " but I think I just got a little lost on the topic ...haha!

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch