Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Questions for possible purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Cayenne Questions for possible purchase...

Hi guys my wife and i are planning on buying an 05 or 06 Cayenne with less than 30k miles.

1) We like the wood trim and wood steering wheels, are there any problems with that trim like wear and tear???

2) Cobalt told me that the early 6 cylinders were Volkswagon engines, do you know when the 6 cylinder became a true Porsche powerplant???

3) We could go v6 or V8 depending on the deal, is the V8 way better or is it not a big deal which engine.

Thanks Guys
Old 02-06-2009, 02:32 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

I would recommend the v8 for the first gen Cayenne. The v6 is breathing hard to keep up with the 5000+ car unless u live in a area its all flat. If u plan to to tow nething V8 is the way to go. I would opt for the air suspension(ride height adjustment as well as settings for shocks ie comfort/normal/sport)/xenons/full leather/nav is great but not necessary. On stock springs rear occupants will feel it's way to bumpy. Driven the mk2 cayenne loaner car v6 and definitely much improved then old version. Mike
Old 02-06-2009, 02:33 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Hi guys my wife and i are planning on buying an 05 or 06 Cayenne with less than 30k miles.

1) We like the wood trim and wood steering wheels, are there any problems with that trim like wear and tear???

2) Cobalt told me that the early 6 cylinders were Volkswagon engines, do you know when the 6 cylinder became a true Porsche powerplant???

3) We could go v6 or V8 depending on the deal, is the V8 way better or is it not a big deal which engine.

Thanks Guys
1. No problems w/ wood. I'm not really a fan of it, and it may be hard to find used.

2. All the 6 bangers are VW/Audi engines.

3. V8 is the ONLY way to go! I do NOT recommend the V6. I've had both.

I just picked up a LOADED V8 from Carmax for $35K. You can't beat today's prices on these awesome SUVs.

You might want to look for a car with up to 40k miles. It will be much cheaper, and you will still have 10k miles of warranty to fix all the minor problems.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:40 PM
cadboy2006CS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boeing 717,

I highly recommend looking into a marketplace that has the inventory to support your search.
LA is flooded with Cayenne's and there is always an advantage to buying a SoCal vehicle, the conditions there are more hospitable to any vehicle, more than just the weather also the mindset of SoCal drivers...they tend to take better care of a vehicle. Detailing in SoCal is easy to find and cheaper than in most other areas due to the low cost of labour. This is just an opinion but is supported by my vehicle that came from Pacific Pallisades...06 was 'like new'.

So to answer point 1, the person(s) whom may have serviced or detailed your potential vehicle will determine the condition of the interior. Porsche uses high quality materials and so if there was at least an attempt to perserve these regularily, the interior in an 06 should be in excellent shape.

2) "While the engine block is sourced from Volkswagen, which is Porsche’s partner in the construction of the Cayenne’s unit-body chassis, the 15-degree, 3.2-liter V6 engine has been extensively reworked by Porsche engineers." This is fact, not opinion.

3) I am sure that the V6 has it's merits, shopping trips and school drop offs are probably going to be fine with this powerplant. But I will defer to research that suggest that woman are turned on by the sound and feel of Horsepower. For the value, especially in these economic times, of the V8 you will find...it is better I think to pursue the Cayenne S. If you travel to the hills for Skiing or want to take on a coastal trip, the V8 will have more to offer in terms of performance pleasure. Inner-City a Cayenne may suit some but out there on the roads the Cayenne S is a better instrument. The Turbo are an awefully good deal nowadays, but it is not for everyone.

Oh and for sure...make sure you get CPO!

Off lease, 2006 Cayenne S with 40K, CPO I was in for $37k.

Too Cheap to pass up in my mind, I can direct you to a fine salesman on Ventura Blvd that is honestly going to find what you are looking for!

Good Luck!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,521 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
1. No problems w/ wood. I'm not really a fan of it, and it may be hard to find used.

2. All the 6 bangers are VW/Audi engines.

3. V8 is the ONLY way to go! I do NOT recommend the V6. I've had both.

I just picked up a LOADED V8 from Carmax for $35K. You can't beat today's prices on these awesome SUVs.

You might want to look for a car with up to 40k miles. It will be much cheaper, and you will still have 10k miles of warranty to fix all the minor problems.
+1

The wood trim still looks great on my 2004. The only downside to the wood package is that you lose the heated steering wheel if you get the wooden one. It doesn't bother me, but it might bother some. I believe you can add the wood package later if you don't find a used Cayenne that has it, but I'm not sure about the cost. It's probably expensive to do it that way.

I would definitely get a V8. No question there.

I think PASM is also very nice, but it might be hard to find. It will be nearly impossible to find on a base Cayenne, and it will be difficult on a Cayenne S. This isn't a deal breaker to me, but if you find one that has it, it's a nice option.

Finally - buy one that still has some warranty left, and buy one that has documented service records. They won't guarantee a problem-free car, but you'll have lots more peace of mind if you know the oil has been changed, TSBs performed, etc.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM
cadboy2006CS
Track Day

Dennis C makes an excellent point about the steering wheel heat, I have it, never thought I would want or need it ... but this winter hit ( the worst here in 35 years ) and Damn! That's Nice! If you live in colder climates, probably something the Wife would really like [ Aren't they always cold! ]

I got PASM, took a lot longer to find but WELL worth it and Rare to boot!

CPO for $37K = Cheap Piece of Mind

Oh, here's the Study:http://autos.canada.com/news/story.h...e-67b8d2e3f838
Old 02-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree w/ everything posted but I would add the heated steering wheel is nice. I may not live in Helena, MT but even in Nashville I do use/like it.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Agree w/ everything posted but I would add the heated steering wheel is nice. I may not live in Helena, MT but even in Nashville I do use/like it.
Man ditto on the heated steering wheel. I hate to beat this dead horse but I can't believe what it adds to the vehicle in the winter. It makes it the best winter car I have ever owned, bar none, when you combine that with pretty good heated seats and an engine/climate control that gets warm as quickly as it does.

I would REALLY have to love wood to forego this option. In fact I would just put a picture of an oak tree in a frame and prop it up on the dash before I'd lose that heat. Especially this winter here in Chicago.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Boeing 717

Thanks alot guys lots of good info!!!!! Hopefully will have one in my garage within a month or so. Lots of nice ones out there to look at.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Man ditto on the heated steering wheel. I hate to beat this dead horse but I can't believe what it adds to the vehicle in the winter. It makes it the best winter car I have ever owned, bar none, when you combine that with pretty good heated seats and an engine/climate control that gets warm as quickly as it does.

I would REALLY have to love wood to forego this option. In fact I would just put a picture of an oak tree in a frame and prop it up on the dash before I'd lose that heat. Especially this winter here in Chicago.
It was 9 deg. here Wed. morning and it wasn't the first time we've been in single digits this year either. Not like the -20 or -40 some of you have experienced but cold enough for this Florida native.

Only weakness in the heating dept. is the ****-poor footwell heating, I don't feel squat down there.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:47 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Wood is nice option but (as others have said), I like my heated steering wheel more than I'd imagined.

Get the V8, no question about it. I paid $30K for an 06 S with 22k miles. Loaded with nav, xenon, PASM (highly recommended), Sirius, tow, park assist (highly recommended), 19" wheels, etc. No CPO.

We should have a sticky thread with recent sales to help fellow Rennlisters evaluate deals. dave
Old 02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by mvd
Wood is nice option but (as others have said), I like my heated steering wheel more than I'd imagined.

Get the V8, no question about it. I paid $30K for an 06 S with 22k miles. Loaded with nav, xenon, PASM (highly recommended), Sirius, tow, park assist (highly recommended), 19" wheels, etc. No CPO.

We should have a sticky thread with recent sales to help fellow Rennlisters evaluate deals. dave

Holy cow....thats the kinda deal were hoping for.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Bought car off lease at discount

Holy cow....thats the kinda deal were hoping for.
Notice that I don't have CPO? That's because I bought my car off lease from Porsche Financial. At the time of purchase in Jan 06, I couldn't decide whether to pay cash or lease since I can't write-off any of the expense. Ultimately, I went lease because of the gap insurance (ie, walk away from a totaled car instead of losing ~10% on the insurance claim). Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd save $11K three yrs later which was the difference between the lease residual ($41k) and the amount that PFS accepted. Had PFS stood firm on the pay-off, I would have turned the car in. dave
Old 02-11-2009, 02:51 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Excuse my ignorance my ASE tech knowledge ended around 01 before the cayenne was a gleam in someones eye but I was told (form the dealer) that the heated wheel is only in the one with the wood trim the straight leather ones is not heated??!! BUT my CTTS is heated and wood to so ...... I guess we are all a little off so I looked in the manual for the car and its available in either trim and only works automatically after it gets under 22deg's C it is not something that you can even control but is good to have MORE interesting and fun to play with is the PARKING HEATER that is set by a timer!!!!!! that is GREAT!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My wife has the wood wheel; after 4+ years and 41K miles, its just like new. You cannot get a heated wood steering wheel but its an option for the standard steering wheel.

Definitely agree you should stay away from the first gen 6 cyl - way underpowered (I have driven loaners). With today's deals, I think you are much better off the S. Much better performance - a big difference.

We turn in our 05 CS this week (off lease) and pick up our new 09 CS. FYI, I was told by PFS that they do not offer to sell off lease cars at under residual value (possibly a recent change?). (Our residual is now about $31K on a fairly well loaded car - I think MSRP was $67K.)

Quick Reply: Cayenne Questions for possible purchase...