Lurker presents - a Cayenne off road

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bgsntth
The air suspension in my LR3 will push a wheel down too when it is not making contact; as well as going into super extended mode if the frame makes contact or (I believe) if the vehicle is experiencing extreme wheel articulation. The LR3 climbs gravel/grass slopes like nothing I have ever experienced. My wife still will not let me take her FFRR off the tarmac, so my experience is limited to the mundane utilitarian LR3.

FFRRs are only boring on the tarmac. An this is why I'm replacing the LR3 with a Pepper with the locking rear-diff. Will be interested to see how if compares offroad.
Of course all suspension tends to push down a wheel until it reaches full droop. The trick is to have a system intervene and push down enough on the laden wheel on that axle pair. In other words, if the right front is fully drooped and off the ground or at least not finding traction, how much can the suspension "push down" on the left front to redistribute the center of mass along that virtual "axle" to the point that the vitual axle is "straight" (like a "fixed beam" or "live axle" suspension) and perhaps bring the right front back down to terra firma. As long as the rear suspension is cooperating in this balancing act (and not just causing the car to pivot and rock across diagonals or just end up with all four corners at full extension) then you've got the best shot of keeping the car with weight distributed as evenly as possible to all four wheels.

You might be tempted to want a "spider" like setting where all four corners remain at full extension, but the off-roading game is about suspension articulation and compliance -- the ability of the suspension to allow the wheels to travel through their full range of motion without disturbing the balance of the car. Rather like the way Peugeot created marvelously smooth-riding road cars circa the 405 and 505.

I've never even thought to sit in an LR3. I imagine it has all the smarts of the LR2 (which I find all but unstoppable) but even the LR2 is a bit small for us, so the LR3 is like an off-road Miata. I find the Cayenne just a bit too limited in rear seat space and cargo space. Mine doesn't have a sunroof, so front seat headroom is ample. But we'll likely take advantage of the "Great Depression of 2010" discounting and go back to a Range Rover. And everyone complaining about Cayenne quality and reliability, I dare you to own a Range Rover, then you'll think the Cayenne is impeccable by comparison. : ) God helps us all on resale value of these cars. Where's my bailout?!

Quick Reply: Lurker presents - a Cayenne off road