Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really Off-topic, Off-Forum..... sort of.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:31 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Really Off-topic, Off-Forum..... sort of.

We've talked about why the Cayenne was introduced in this forum, ad nauseum. I'm not trying to re-open the debate; but, even with my Beta experience, I've now completed the "circle of Porsche life" by buying a 911 and join the ranks of a guy with a "fun" car, too. Probably Dr. W's goal all along.

"I had a dream".... really a 35-40 year old GOAL. Actually two... one to fly machines of the air, the other to own a 911. Since the 60's (i.e. as a youngster), I wanted to fly airplanes and then drive something almost as fast on the ground. I've built 911 models as a kid, watched them race in Formula 1, and gone to auto shows with "lust in my heart" whenever looking at 911's. I'm an engineer and appreciate the German approach to sports cars but couldn't rationalize the pure extravagance of owning a "garage queen" as a father of three and a struggling entrepreneur. First dream was handled with military service. Yesterday, the "almost there" of the latter (i.e. bought a 'practical', daily, Cayenne S) was finally FULLY realized by buying a used 996 Targa.

The car was a great deal and has the new PAG 2 year, 50K extended warranty (includes electronics). The car was maintained by a guy who used a toothbrush to clean the wheels and crawled underneath the vehicle with pressurized air to get water, dirt, etc. off his baby's belly! It will be a Christmas present to myself that will require some type of bribe for the wife and probably some period in "time out" for doing this in a vacuum. Oh well, marriage purgatory for a few days is worth it. 23K miles, showroom quality, advanced technic option, tiptronic (would have preffered manual), full leather, supple leather, BOSE (is that an upgrade?), colored crest wheels, etc. etc. Pictures are poor (cell phone), am having clear markers installed (had to be ordered), so won't pick up for a few days when I'll get good pics for the 996 forum, although I doubt I'll post much over there --- this is the only forum that I play in.

Bottom line of post: It was worth the wait and the Cayenne only added to my desire to own the iconic 911... I see my Larry encounters and the Beta experience as stepping stones to yesterday's sportscar dream being realized. Pics are poor quality due to it being nearly sunset and overcast/misting. Car is lapis blue with stone interior.
Attached Images   

Last edited by MadFox; 12-16-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typos.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:43 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On behalf of Larry (R.I.P. ) who didn't live long enough to see this day...

Congratulations

I think you will find, unlike the pig, that installing clear markers on a Carrera takes less than 1 minute per side....

I would also humbly suggest:
Center console painted to match (was an OEM option), Eric at Bumperplugs
Non smoker's kit (painted to match center console)....eliminates the ashtray and gives you a nice little storage 'cubby' with rubber pad at the bottom. Nice touch. (Eric at Bumperplugs)
Center handbrake in aluminum (Eric or Jeff at Sunset Imports)
Silver hood crest (Eric at Bumperplugs)....act quick, before they're gone for good.
Brushed stainless 'Targa' door entry sills (Jeff at Sunset Imports)
Replace grey carpets with Metropol Blue (nice deviated look and stays cleaner longer...Jeff at Sunset Imports)
Rear 'Targa' emblem painted Silver (Eric at Bumperplugs)...looks nicer than the black (Turbo rear emblems came in Silver BTW)

5W-40 (you don't live in a climate where 0W is required)

And yes, when the climate control is not in 'Auto' mode, it really does say 'Manuel'....like Manuel from Fawlty Towers.......not 'Manual'. Don't ask.

Larry's 996TT is Lapis Blue/Grey (hey, I ended up with his cougar wife, so I got the cars too)....nice combo.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 906 Posts

Congrats. I've been following the same pathway as you - I've been heavily shopping for a 996, and even considering a 997 as they are starting to come off lease.

Lapis blue is an awesome color - I think it looks great on the 911.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:50 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright!!!!!!

A blue 911...way to go MF!

I like LTC's suggestion about painting the center console. It's a really cool look in the 996, especially where it offsets a lighter color interior.

Use it in good health my man.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:54 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Sweet whip. Very nice color combo. I am in the same boat right now, looking (dreaming) for a 993 C4 Cab.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alsamrob
Sweet whip. Very nice color combo. I am in the same boat right now, looking (dreaming) for a 993 C4 Cab.
Sweet whip?

WTF language is that?

NO 993 FOR YOU.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Sweet whip?

WTF language is that?

NO 993 FOR YOU.
"Pimp My Porsche" maybe?

Just add some 22s, a 5,000 watt stereo and a custom body kit, and you're on your way. Nice whip indeed.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:05 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's with everyone being in the same boat around here? Be original, people, and start shopping for a Bond-mobile, Batmobile or a Lambo, for a change.

All right, I was obviously joking up there. MadFox, congratulations! My husband constantly talks about a Targa, so let me jump on the bandwagon and say that we'll be hoping to add that to our one-space garage in the near future
Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Nice, Enjoy!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

HOORAHHHHHH!!!!! As R. Lee Ermey would say, "Semper Fi!" (even though you ARE a Squid!). Congratulations on your purchase. Now, you can pray for an opportunity to own a "real" Porsche - one that is air/oil cooled!

Toby
Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

MF... congrats, now you're a true P-car enthusiast May your sickness continue...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
My husband constantly talks about a Targa, so let me jump on the bandwagon and say that we'll be hoping to add that to our one-space garage in the near future
Sounds like a four post lift may be in the offing H2O or no?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:23 AM
prsdoc
Rennlist Member

The targa'll be fun... try opening the top on a lightly rainy day while at speed -- magical.

Congrats and enjoy in good health!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:07 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rome
Alright!!!!!! A blue 911...way to go MF!
With the whole pimp your ride posts and then way to go MF.. I think I'm going to have to come up with a new CB handle, big buddy.. ya here? MF is just so not me as a shortening of MadFox ... maybe I change to MadTargaFox.. MTF?!
Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
MadFox, congratulations! My husband constantly talks about a Targa, so let me jump on the bandwagon .......
if he's constantly talking about it..... you're going to see one in your future!
Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
HOORAHHHHHH!!!!! As R. Lee Ermey would say, "Semper Fi!" (even though you ARE a Squid!). Congratulations on your purchase. Now, you can pray for an opportunity to own a "real" Porsche - one that is air/oil cooled! Toby
But the black shoes do get you from point a to point b........
Originally Posted by cab&coupe
MF... congrats, now you're a true P-car enthusiast May your sickness continue...
It is indeed a sickness.. I got over the owning an aircraft thing, this habit is inherently safer and far less expensive! MF is just not a good abbreviation... it continues.

THANKS ONE AND ALL... it is a blast.. and I've been in quite a few so I know the feeling of rain flying over your head at 100MPH!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:45 AM
snaproll
Instructor

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
HOORAHHHHHH!!!!! As R. Lee Ermey would say, "Semper Fi!" (even though you ARE a Squid!). Congratulations on your purchase. Now, you can pray for an opportunity to own a "real" Porsche - one that is air/oil cooled!

Toby
Yeah, one of those "real" air cooled models that was heavier, slower, and got worse mileage with less horsepower than the 996 that followed it. We love our 996.

That being said, I drove an '09 Carrera S with PDK the other day while the 996 was at the dealer for its annual. Using the PDK in "race start" mode is simply amazing - bring the revs up to 6K and hop off the brake - you felt the tires spin for maybe a fifth of a turn then the car hooked up and just flew. The initial acceleration was dizzying, literally. We'll never get rid of the 996, but if Porsche were to put out a powerkit option for the 997 we might have to go back to eating macaroni and cheese and make some more space in the garage.

Last edited by snaproll; 12-17-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Really Off-topic, Off-Forum..... sort of.