Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really Off-topic, Off-Forum..... sort of.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by snaproll
Yeah, one of those "real" air cooled models that was heavier, slower, and got worse mileage with less horsepower than the 996 that followed it. We love our 996.

That being said, I drove an '09 Carrera S with PDK the other day while the 996 was at the dealer for its annual. Using the PDK in "race start" mode is simply amazing - bring the revs up to 6K and hop off the brake - you felt the tires spin for maybe a fifth of a turn then the car hooked up and just flew. The initial acceleration was dizzying, literally. We'll never get rid of the 996, but if Porsche were to put out a powerkit option for the 997 we might have to go back to eating macaroni and cheese and make some more space in the garage.
Clueless....the new Porsche demographic.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
sigs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well-done, MadFox - and well-deserved. Am trying hard to stifle my jealousy. Have been too long without a 911 to drive, but am limited on garage space. Would have to either convert my workshop back to a garage bay or park my Cayenne out in the driveway and susceptible to the goblins. Neither a good choice at this time.

I think the car is beautiful, as is, and wouldn't dream of suggesting any mods - especially since a pop-up mini-gun through the targa top would surely play h#ll with your balance through the twisties

As for the wife, perhaps a few miles behind the wheel will assuage her. My wife always complains about any sports car I own - except when she's driving it.

Enjoy!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Pure pearls of wisdom...
Old 12-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MadFox

"I had a dream".... really a 35-40 year old GOAL. Actually two...

Congrats... Time for some new goals!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 203 Posts

LTC,

Once again ......

ROFLMAO!

Another Marketing Victim !

S
Old 12-18-2008, 02:46 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Congratulations MadFox, and all of Larry's above suggestions are good ones. I also like the painted center console idea and have it on my 997S cab--see pic. Especially on the targas and cabs, where the open air of the interior just makes it seem closer to the exterior, I think the painted console to match the exterior paint color works really well.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2008, 08:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Full Boost
LTC,

Once again ......

ROFLMAO!

Another Marketing Victim !

S
Thank you.

Unfortunately, he's not alone......

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...bucks-run.html
Old 12-18-2008, 09:52 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shamus
Congrats... Time for some new goals!!!
as the late great Madeline in Blazing Saddles said, "et twoo.. et twoo.." my goal now..... raise Larry from the dead and World Peace, which begins with wife oriented supplication....

Pick-up today. Taking oldest son, he doesn't know, he thinks he's meeting me for a Christmas errand (i.e. to help with something large). this should be fun. then take it to neighbor who has a garage space (two detached add-ons) for 8 vehicles and buys/admires/sells exotics. He has two Ferraris coming between Christmas and New Years and sold a Lamborghini and something else.. So my Targa gets to sit with royalty for a week until Christmas.

Last edited by MadFox; 12-18-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Vino
Racer

Madfox,

Good job and enjoy!
I think the Targa was an excellent choice, something different.
We'll be waiting for your pictures!
Have fun!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 AM
snaproll
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
Hardly clueless, bonehead. I understand all about the air-cooled mystique, and if I could have afforded one back in 1972 I'd have gotten a 911S instead of a 240Z.

But the simple fact is that Porsche constantly improves the breed, and if they had to depend on air cooling today there wouldn't be a 911.
Another simple fact is that the first 996 was lighter, faster, and got better gas mileage than the 993. I liked the air-cooled cars as much as the next guy and they're fine autos in their own right, but every simpleton that thinks the line ended when liquid cooling came into play can shove their demographic cheap shots where the sun don't shine.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hardly clueless, bonehead. I understand all about the air-cooled mystique, and if I could have afforded one back in 1972 I'd have gotten a 911S instead of a 240Z.

But the simple fact is that Porsche constantly improves the breed, and if they had to depend on air cooling today there wouldn't be a 911.
Another simple fact is that the first 996 was lighter, faster, and got better gas mileage than the 993. I liked the air-cooled cars as much as the next guy and they're fine autos in their own right, but every simpleton that thinks the line ended when liquid cooling came into play can shove their demographic cheap shots where the sun don't shine.
It's not bonehead. It's actually a titanium skull plate.....I'm more metal than bone when it comes to skull.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

That being said, I drove an '09 Carrera S with PDK the other day while the 996 was at the dealer for its annual. Using the PDK in "race start" mode is simply amazing - bring the revs up to 6K and hop off the brake - you felt the tires spin for maybe a fifth of a turn then the car hooked up and just flew. The initial acceleration was dizzying, literally..
I would not call the initial acceleration of a 997S dizzying....it's simply not that fast nor impressive. But then again, some people are easily impressed.

We'll never get rid of the 996, but if Porsche were to put out a powerkit option for the 997 we might have to go back to eating macaroni and cheese and make some more space in the garage.
They do have a powerkit option for the 997.
It's called the 997TT.....available today at your local Porsche dealer.

There's also this new model, GT2, better ask about that one too. I hear it's a nice car.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, one of those "real" air cooled models that was heavier, slower, and got worse mileage with less horsepower than the 996 that followed it. We love our 996.+
I would be more than happy to offer you a drive in one of those heavier, slower, worse mileage "real" air cooled Porsche models.....but I would first have to cover the passenger seat with plastic, since I am fairly certain you would make Ricardo's wife seem calm.....

Old 12-18-2008, 11:17 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Update: Took delivery at 5PM today.. sadly it was raining. now have clear side markers installed and took it for a spin. so will have to clean it up nicely this week-end. Son helped me. We went for 20 min. ride even tho it killed me to take it and play in the rain. Biggest thrill. rolling slowing at interstate on-ramp in 1st so as not to spin the tires on wet pavement and a little easy at the start but wound it out in each gear and hit 95+ by end of ramp after pinning both of us in the seat and some head snap on each acceleration! pics when it is sunny and DRY.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:17 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is great MadFox congrats. what matters the most is capturing the dream. I have to admit I agree with all of ltc's proposed mods... Center console painted to match looks great go for it.
Tell us more on your sons reaction...
You know what my little brat did? aged 7 when I got my 997. Didnt tell him anything, went to pick him up from a party... Now mind you I am a reader of P car related mags (as most of us I guess) especially a british publication which I thoroughly enjoy (911 and Porsche World), and both my boys have been absorbing models, facts, horsepower figures, models, Gemballa, Ruf, 9ff, Techart... we walk out to the car, I do the tahhh-daahhh and he starts crying because "its not a turbo"!!!!! God I have to say that I realized how massively spoiled my brats are...and that reaction was a painful one! I do hope he remembers that when he grows up and he has to pay for his first Porsche. I truly firstly wish he can afford one when he is my age. Then I will remind him...

Quick Reply: Really Off-topic, Off-Forum..... sort of.