Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne correlation issues vs. mileage, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:40 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne correlation issues vs. mileage, etc.

I've been on R/L a few years, moving from Boxster to 993 to 996 Forums. I now have the potential to move to this group. I am without a winter vehicle, so was going to get another Disco. However, instead of storing my 996, I have a chance to sell it. While it's a great car, I do not enjoy it as much as either my Boxster or 993(!). My wife and I had twins last year, so they're a couple years away from enjoying the 911 (though they have enough p-car toys to open a @$$%$! car lot ).

I have a chance at picking up a one owner '04 CS with 80k mi. for several thou under book. Besides a problem with the locks replaced a couple times, it has had no issues with cardan, cooling pipes, coils, etc. These are things I was not even aware of being problems with the Cayenne, but after researching here, not surprising. I've never experienced engine porosity with the Boxster, CEL/CAI/valve problems with the 993, or RMS with the 996, so finding out the issues w/the Cayenne is not a shocker. Are the issues with the Cayenne in the same vein? That is, are they discussed in horrific detail here on the Forum, but the majority of owners never have them? In my case, I'd like to think that one of these issues would have shown up by 80k mileage, if they were going to happen.

Just thought I would get your opinion. I know the best answer would be to get an '05 or later, but this just happened to be a one shot chance. I could let the Cayenne fill the gap in 21+ years of Porsche ownership, with something the whole family can enjoy. I can then get the "keeper" 911 in a couple years, when some of the carrying capacity issues disappear!

Thanks!

cheers,
Old 10-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suspect right now you could get a '05 or newer w/ moderate mileage that would be very little more than you would pay for the '04 and a much better bet.

The online book prices are WAY behind the actual market right now. Just walk onto any dealer's lot that has one and express a modest interest and see what happens...

JMHO
Old 10-20-2008, 03:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Rennlist member 'T2' has nearly 2x that 80K on his Cayenne Turbo.
He has posted his repair history here, a quick search should turn up those threads.
I would not be concerned about a high mileage Cayenne.
It is a true Porsche vehicle, designed for long service life while providing unmatched performance and value.....then again, you can't believe everything you read in an internet forum.
I'll be sunning myself at the base of Cayenne cliff (I'm the one sitting next to Larry's widow)....be sure to wave on your way down before you hit.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:44 PM
wirunner
Pro

I recently bought a one owner clean 04 CS with 27k miles for $26k. I would guess one with 80k miles would be a lot less. Mine also never had a single repair performed but two months later, I've replaced all coils/plugs (fairly easy DIY = $200), radio had to be sent to Becker for repair ($300), and it's getting a new drive shaft as we speak ($1000+??). So, I'd recommend being careful. There's a lot to choose from...good luck
Old 10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
pchak
Pro

ltc,
I had read a lot of the posts here (much to my enjoyment ), which is why I was wondering if some of the things I had uncovered about the 2004's were similiar to some of the issues with other Porsche models.

High mileage has never scared me as, except for the Boxster (31k), every other Porsche I've owned had mileage starting at 60K at time of purchase. Most of them went way north of 100K. I've been extremely lucky with all of them (well, except for my 944S that ate a tensioner belt, and that was a $1600 fix, grr), so I figured I might continue to press my luck!

thanks!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

An 04 Cayenne S with 80K miles.....I'm not sure you should be expected to pay for it...you should be paid to take it. Not a very highly sought after/high resale value vehicle IMHO.

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Cayenne looking for a new home, usually at dealer lots with CPO coverage. In fact most Porsche dealers don't want orphan used Cayennes....they end up at auction anyways.

Be patient, you should be able to find a 'better' Cayenne....wow, what an oxymoron that one is....better Cayenne....jumbo shrimp......sorry, I digress.

Caveat Emptor.....
Ciao.....
Old 10-20-2008, 04:42 PM
pchak
Pro

lol!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:43 PM
cadboy2006CS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,

I was able, after months of researching the CS, find a squeaky clean 06' with Air Ride, Nav, Leather Wrap Int., even in the color I wished for and I am stunned at the value!

Being from the North, I researched heavily on the market in the South. I discovered that, should one be looking for Porsche it is logical to seek the market where many of them are. In my case I found more opportunity in LA to find what I was looking for.

Like yourself, I began looking at 04's and was willing to accept some mechanical in lieu of saving on purchase price. What I found in LA was a great salesman, who was honest about the price he was paying for a vehicle in order to flip it to me CPO.

I highly recommend CPO! Porsche really made it impossible for me to justify buying anything else BUT a CS, since combined with the fact that it is a Porsche and is covered to 160 K's ( 100 miles ) or 2 years after original warranty really means you have nothing to worry about!

Since you are starting on the family path, the CPO will give you piece of mind in a vehicle that is well, can I be so bold as to say...probably the safest SUV on the road?!

I paid less than $40 USD and even after importing into CAN, it was still one hell of a deal for an 2006!

The salesman realized that I was buying site unseen and made sure that the Pepper was clean as possible. Truly, I can't believe the condition.

Having a vehicle that most likely never saw Salted & Sanded Roads, Ice Scrapped Window Shields, etc made that 06' seem even newer.

Exporting from SoCal also avoided paying 8.5% user tax, so there were no taxes for me!

I encourage you to do your own due diligence but will say that if you read through the Cayenne Forum you will note many repeating the words, "stay away from 03-05" and I agree. 2006 may have not been a huge year in advancement for this model but the options that were added and upgraded ( MP3 compatible PCM !!!) make it what it is, the Final Year (best?) of the First Gen of Cayenne.

IMHO go 2006 and get CPO, worth every penny and find a market that is saturated with them (LA or FLA?)

Jason
Old 10-20-2008, 05:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pchak
lol!
Good, you have a sense of humor, a prerequisite for the Cayenne ownership experience.

Quick Reply: Cayenne correlation issues vs. mileage, etc.