Sponsored by:

4.8 vs 4.5 Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 4.8 vs 4.5 Impressions

Currently with the rental we have both, so I thought I'd compare and contrast.

The 4.8 is new w/ only about 3k miles on it. Electronic adjust on the steering column and I believe it has the power assist steering.

I like the steering a lot. It does not seem to have the "disconnected" feeling of prior versions.

The transmission is fantastic. No Lag and no herky jerky shifts. Power is smooth and linear throughout the curve. I almost can't feel the shifts.

However, I don't like the new body style. The automatic tailgate seems to get a lot of head turns, but is basically a PITA gimmick in my opinion.

The 4.5 is an '06 w/ 40K. I like the body style, and drives more like a truck. Regular power steering. It has air suspension, which I absolutely love.

My only gripe is with the transmission. Although it's a million times better than the V6, it still lags between shifts and makes stupid shift changes at times, resulting in that jerky shift pattern. Usually that happens up or down a hill on rapid acceleration, or when I punch it and then let go quickly.

That being said, I love driving the 4.5. It's a blast cruising around and great on trips. Lots of smiles per gallon for sure.

I can absolutely say that I have learned my lesson and will never go the V6 way again.
I used to tell myself that it was cheaper on gas, etc, but I think in actuality that's minimal at best. You have to get on the V6 so much and it still never gets up and goes. The V8 accelerates with minimal pedal. In the end, actual fuel consumption is probably the same, or within 2 MPG. The V6 acceleration from a stop was so bad, I had to give up driving it in LA traffic. The V8 I could drive to work every day, no problem.

There's my 2 cents...

Last edited by medtech; 10-17-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:19 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that the 1st gen. V6 was awful but the 08 is SOOO much better with direct injection, new transmission mapping, sport mode and an increase in horsepower. In 2005 when we were shopping we tried the V6 and could get past the slow shifts and overloaded V6 engine, the new one is much better. It is not a V8 but for running around town does the job. We opted for V8 X5 but now we are returning to the Cayenne and getting an 08 V6.

Quick Reply: 4.8 vs 4.5 Impressions