Sponsored by:

Stop Radio Station ID Scroll?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:27 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stop Radio Station ID Scroll?

'04 Cayenne S with PCM. On my commute I listen to the local NPR station. I guess the last fund drive was successful and they upgraded their transmitter, because now they are sending out over the airwaves a 3 or 4 line station identifier....and it is continuously scrolling on the display of my PCM and the instrument cluster....and I can't figure out how to stop it....it is a distraction....I even read the manual....

OK, it's not the worst thing in the known universe, but it bugs me.

Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 946 Posts

I think there is an option to disable RDS in the PCM menu somewhere. Try the settings menu while you have the station selected.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think there is an option to disable RDS in the PCM menu somewhere. Try the settings menu while you have the station selected.
Do you mean RBDS?

I've got that deselected and it doesn't make any difference.

Interesting: when I'm in the parking garage - where the signal is weaker - the scrolling stops.

--Bob
Old 10-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Yes, RDS and RBDS are the same thing. I'm surprised that it doesn't stop when you deactivate it.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't for the life of me get mine to display the individual station info, I have a bunch of those L-1, L-2, L-3's ect. Haven't messed with it in a while though.

Yes, I RTFM!, several times, clear as mud. Where did that Technical Writer come from?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I can't for the life of me get mine to display the individual station info, I have a bunch of those L-1, L-2, L-3's ect. Haven't messed with it in a while though.

Yes, I RTFM!, several times, clear as mud. Where did that Technical Writer come from?
I agree - that's very confusing. I've tried to do this too. Generally, if you hold the button down as if you are programming the station, it will change the display to L-1, L-2, etc. Yesteraday I tried it on one of the stations that was already set to L-1 and it changed back to the station ID.

I've also never seen an explanation of what the "L" designation actually means. The manual refers to alternate/secondary programming, but nothing more.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Thanks Dennis, I'll try that next time I'm in the Pepper. I've read technical manuals for 25+ years and read some poorly written ones. This one leaves (me at least) more confused than when I started.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Let me know if you figure it out! I've looked at it several times and had the same experience as you.

Have you looked at the description of the air diffuser in on the center of the dashboard? The manual tells you how to turn it on and how to turn it off, but doesn't say what it really does or why you would turn it on or off.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:32 PM
rbaron
Racer

Generally, if you hold the button down as if you are programming the station, it will change the display to L-1, L-2, etc. Yesteraday I tried it on one of the stations that was already set to L-1 and it changed back to the station ID.
Which button are you referring to here?

And, do you mean that when the Main button is pushed the display reads L-x?

I haven't seen that before....but then I haven't looked. I was happy with just the call letters of the station being displayed.....which is what I used to have before something changed, and I am assuming (without knowing) that the (NPR) station must have upgraded its signal (strength? stream of data?) somehow.

And boy are you right about the manual.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbaron
Which button are you referring to here?

And, do you mean that when the Main button is pushed the display reads L-x?

I haven't seen that before....but then I haven't looked. I was happy with just the call letters of the station being displayed.....which is what I used to have before something changed, and I am assuming (without knowing) that the (NPR) station must have upgraded its signal (strength? stream of data?) somehow.

And boy are you right about the manual.
Say, for example, that you are on radio station 92.3 and you have it programmed to button number 2. If that station does have RBDS and other alternate programming, then the ID on the programmed button could show 92.3, it could show the station ID (that station is called "The Fort" here in Fort Wayne, so I think it says FORT or FRT) or it could show L-1, or L-2, etc. If you select that station by pressing button number 2, and then hold that button down as if you are programming the station, the display for the button will change. The problem I have is that sometimes it changes, sometimes it doesn't. Also - there is not an explanation of what L-1 or L-2 really mean.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:10 PM
uncledick
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say, for example, that you are on radio station 92.3 and you have it programmed to button number 2. If that station does have RBDS and other alternate programming, then the ID on the programmed button could show 92.3, it could show the station ID (that station is called "The Fort" here in Fort Wayne, so I think it says FORT or FRT) or it could show L-1, or L-2, etc. If you select that station by pressing button number 2, and then hold that button down as if you are programming the station, the display for the button will change. The problem I have is that sometimes it changes, sometimes it doesn't. Also - there is not an explanation of what L-1 or L-2 really mean.
My Wife's Turbo has been doing this same thing for over a year with no help from the dealer! On the 8th a rep is going to look at the issue, I'll fill you in if we get resolution.
Rich.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Your discription is very accurate, I only wish I could get mine to display the "92.3" instead of the L-x. When I followed your suggestion the display did change but not for the better, just went to another L display. The pepper is at the dealer for now, I'll have them check it out.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

....Also - there is not an explanation of what L-1 or L-2 really mean.
IIRC, it has been explained on Rennlist before.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
IIRC, it has been explained on Rennlist before.
Thanks - I'll take a look. I guess it never bothered me that much, so I never searched.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I read through as many of the old archives as I could find... this certainly has been a hot topic in the past.

So if I understand correctly, the "L" designation is for "local" stations, and the 1, 2, etc. is for what? I still can't figure out how to simply toggle it back to the station frequency. Again, it hasn't been a big issue for me, because even when I listen to the radio I generally have the PCM screen on "main", which is set to "auto" in my vehicle. I don't see all the buttons very often.

Quick Reply: Stop Radio Station ID Scroll?