Sponsored by:

GTS vs. '06 Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GTS vs. '06 Turbo S?

These two Cayennes are at the same general price point depending on mileage, options etc. Which one of these two would you buy if best performance is the priority??? I'm considering trading my X5 4.8is and am looking... Thanks.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 PM
johnfields
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had the same internal debate

Drove both and opted to order a GTS. Could spec. it just the way I wanted which included the 6-speed. Mine arrived last week. The power of the Cayenne Turbo S is attention getting and I was tempted. In the end I like to shift and was lucky enough to spend 30-45 minutes driving both. Hard to go wrong here - good luck.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:45 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the '06 turbo S and my brother-in-law has the GTS. The '06 turbo S is a sleeper rocketship. Tooling around traffic it is like a roomy Audi A8. Turn PSM off and shift it manually using the tip stick and it is a launch vehicle. And the turbo S has EPIC brakes. Make sure that the tires are properly inflated at 39lbs. front 43lbs. rear, for 20" Continentals, or the entire driving experience will be effected.

The GTS is a trick Cayenne. It has better sounding exhaust and really nice front seats. But the GTS has nowhere near the power and seemed unnecessarily stiff. Noting that it was new when I drove it. Honestly, it was more truckish than even my first Cayenne, an '04 Cayenne S.

When you test drive the turbo S, turn off PSM and shift it manually. Watch the down shift from 2nd to 1st and the upshift from 1st to 2nd as 1st is a VERY short gear. Get out of 1st early and go into 1st as late as possible... almost a 5 MPH roll.

I'm partial. The turbo S is wicked and rare with an incredible leather interior and a Porsche twin turbo V8. That's it for me.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:58 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

If performance is the main criterion, which you said it was, I would definitely think you would opt for the CTTS. The GTS has nowhere near the power of the CTTS, with 405 HP versus 520. If you want even more power, the CTTS can easily be modified to reach ridiculous amounts of HP. I have the CTTS and have test driven the GTS, and there is simply no comparison. I suppose the GTS could be fun with the manual gearbox, but I really prefer the automatic in this vehicle. I doubt you would be disappointed either way, but I think if performance is your main concern, you have to choose the CTTS. Also remember that the base price on the GTS is around $70,000 and that is without full leather and some of the other nice amenities that come standard on the CTTS. In these hard economic times, I would think you could find a great low-mile CTTS for the same as the base price of the GTS.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:26 PM
GBG
Pro

Thanks guys. It seems that the CTTS is the better performer based primarily on the large HP difference. The stance of the GTS appears to be lower to the ground-- are the suspensions on the two cars much different? How about the interiors-- is CTTS' dated compared to the GTS? Thanks
Old 10-15-2008, 06:53 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by GBG
These two Cayennes are at the same general price point depending on mileage, options etc. Which one of these two would you buy if best performance is the priority??? ...
...today - 08-09 CayenneTT. It's better, than both above...until new TTS comes in again...

OZRacing
Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GBG
Thanks guys. It seems that the CTTS is the better performer based primarily on the large HP difference. The stance of the GTS appears to be lower to the ground-- are the suspensions on the two cars much different? How about the interiors-- is CTTS' dated compared to the GTS? Thanks
If GTS has air suspension, then they'll be the same, except that the stock suspension setting of GTS is a bit lower.

Interior will be exactly the same if GTS equipped with all leather.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:34 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GBG
The base interior for the CTTS is more upscale with full leather, which is a $3000+ option on the GTS. The GTS has more "sporty" leather/alcantara (faux suede) seating. Otherwise, the interiors did not change in any significant ways from 2006 to 2008. Air suspension is standard on the GTS and is standard on the CTTS as well. The GTS version of the suspension is 24mm, or slightly less than 1 inch, lower than the typical Cayenne. But, the stance can relatively easily be lowered on the CTTS using lowering links (approx $300) or an aftermarket lowering module (about $2500-3000). I have the lowering links on my CTTS, which makes mine 40mm lower. I know our friend Larry will get a chuckle out of this, but the CTTS is also relatively uncommon--only 600 were produced for the US market and 1,500 worldwide. So, it makes it a bit more unique in that sense.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:36 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Only the GTS is available with PDCC, which arguably completely changes the handling experience compared to the previous-generation Turbo S.

If you're driving moderately around town and on the highway, I'd say go for the '06 Turbo S. For winding roads, higher corner speeds and more driving involvement, I'd say go for the GTS with a manual trans.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:45 PM
GBG
Pro

Thinking about this one. http://danbury.porschedealer.com/pre...ntoryid=444629

Any thoughts re: price/options etc.? Thanks
Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GBG
Thinking about this one. http://danbury.porschedealer.com/pre...ntoryid=444629

Any thoughts re: price/options etc.? Thanks
Looks good! I love the pano roof. But. personally, I like the wood trim on the interior instead of the aluminum and you need the clear side marker lights. Both are relatively easy mods. I negotiated both of those installed by the dealer when I bought my CTTS. The asking price may be a bit high, but the vehicle has low miles and is CPO--that is great. Maybe offer around $65 and see if you can meet somewhere in the middle around $68 PLUS the upgrades I mentioned. Remember, it is a buyer's market out there.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:22 AM
GBG
Pro

Thanks Statman, good advice.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:53 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GBG
Thanks Statman, good advice.
My '06 CTTS is the same exterior minus the pano roof, design wheels, full dark wood interior on black, thermal glass, clear side markers, brand new tires, with both types of roof rails and a large Porsche roof mount ski box.

15500 miles. Babied. Never driven in the snow or slop.

I'll sell you mine for $65k.

Do you have to pay tax on a private party sale?

Oh wait, you're trading a Bimmer. Didn't see that. Go with the CTTS then.

Offers open to others though.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 AM
03LX470
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
My '06 CTTS is the same exterior minus the pano roof, design wheels, full dark wood interior on black, thermal glass, clear side markers, brand new tires, with both types of roof rails and a large Porsche roof mount ski box.

15500 miles. Babied. Never driven in the snow or slop.

I'll sell you mine for $65k.

Do you have to pay tax on a private party sale?

Oh wait, you're trading a Bimmer. Didn't see that. Go with the CTTS then.

Offers open to others though.
Can you post a pic of your interior. Im curious how the wood looks with black interior.

Thanks

Quick Reply: GTS vs. '06 Turbo S?