Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Recommend Extended Warranties?
Yes, cost is justified
26.92%
No, post-50K failures are waning in my opinion
38.46%
Maybe, still no empirical evidence post 50-K
34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

To be naked or not to be, that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008 | 11:33 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Default To be naked or not to be, that is the question.

In light of 2 years and 35,000 miles of ownership of my '06 Tit.S with only an intermittent PHC unavailable light in an otherwise flawless/bulletproof period, I'm questioning my (our forum's) heretofore opinion of recommending extended warranties. If one intends to keep their pig to 100K or more, my thought is that it may be unnecessary in light of the past few year's improvement in quality, etc.

Opinions?

p.s. However, I have no regrets that I did purchase one two years ago because of my previous experience.
Old 10-06-2008 | 01:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I'm about to enter official nakedness in the eyes of Porsche, although I do have the back-up warranty out to 100K miles. I have not had any significant issues to date in my beta, but I rest a little easier knowing that I have the warranty should the need arise.

Given today's drop of the Dow to under 10,000, I like knowing that I won't have to shell out any significant cash for anything like a major car repair anytime soon.
Old 10-06-2008 | 02:08 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

I have one of the "good" '05s; the ONLY thing I've had is coils (x2). Other than that, it doesn't even burn oil. No electronic gremlins, etc.
I'm naked in 2500mi. I want to keep it until '10-'11 or 85k max. I put about 7500mi/yr on it. I felt better spending the money on an Easy Care ext. warranty than always having to worry about "what's that noise/vibration?"
Old 10-06-2008 | 03:06 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

I have been naked now on my 05 for 4200 miles.

Stealer wanted $7,700.00 to extend the warranty to 100,000 miles.

I have had the coil fix. I am still having problems with air bag sensors but they have fixed those under the air bag warranties. I had the PCM controller unit replaced under warranty.

I would like to keep mine for 200,000 miles if the electronics stay good. It is not worth much to trade in so why buy a mew one that depreciates $30,000.00 the minute you drive it off the lot.
Old 10-06-2008 | 09:01 PM
sigs
Racer

Seems like we keep running around this bush, with lots of worthy individual opinions, but very little data. Aside from a few notable bad reports on failing companies (Book 'em, Danno), these posts have managed to provide very few hard figures and reports on exactly which warranty companies wanted how much for how much coverage on which vehicle, and even relatively few posts on good or bad experiences with individual repairs. I'll be facing the same decision in a few months and, being generally a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy, I'll probably buy a warranty. Like all insurance, I hope it turns out to be a waste of money, but the extended warranty I bought for my ML was the highest return I'm sure I'll EVER see on any investment. But, with so little hard data to analyze, it will be a hard call whether to pony up the extra bucks for the (non-Porsche) plan from the dealer, in hopes they'll stand behind it if there is trouble down the line, or to save up to $2k by going with another warranty company.
Old 10-06-2008 | 10:03 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Pranqster, 4200 or 42000?

P.S. I voted for going nekkid and hope to drive my pig (btw, LTC, did you see a photo of the Cayennes on track in the "Rennlister Photography Thread" in OT?) until the "ALL NEW" one comes out
Old 10-07-2008 | 12:08 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sigs
Seems like we keep running around this bush, with lots of worthy individual opinions, but very little data. Aside from a few notable bad reports on failing companies (Book 'em, Danno), these posts have managed to provide very few hard figures and reports on exactly which warranty companies wanted how much for how much coverage on which vehicle, and even relatively few posts on good or bad experiences with individual repairs. I'll be facing the same decision in a few months and, being generally a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy, I'll probably buy a warranty. Like all insurance, I hope it turns out to be a waste of money, but the extended warranty I bought for my ML was the highest return I'm sure I'll EVER see on any investment. But, with so little hard data to analyze, it will be a hard call whether to pony up the extra bucks for the (non-Porsche) plan from the dealer, in hopes they'll stand behind it if there is trouble down the line, or to save up to $2k by going with another warranty company.
Sigs, good points and I agree.. data would be helpful.... with my beta, I had cardan shaft, water pump, and other issues that totaled more than my ext. warranty that I had purchased (however, Hawaii is still not resolved the bankruptcy case). So for a '04 S, if someone is just now getting through their regular warranty, I'd buy the ext. warranty for sure. The question will be for high mileage '05 and '06... any owners with high mileage over 50K '05 or '06 that can report on any significant service/mechanical issues? Data please....?
Old 10-07-2008 | 12:40 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

I posted the same question a few weeks ago. I got naked on October 1. Well, I have a 05 that is under 50k miles and I had a new motor at about 38k miles. I don't think thats the norm though. I did have all of the usual problems...glass latch, airbag fault, washer fluid nozzle,coils...i'm sure there's more.
Old 10-07-2008 | 02:14 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Never go naked - you might get burned....

I crack myself up...
Old 10-07-2008 | 06:12 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

We've been running naked now for almost 100,000 miles, yes our 2004 C-TT has 147,000+ miles on the ticker - costs for repairs have been far less than any warranty would have covered. Bottom line is you'll spend the money in payments for a new vehicle or repairs on the one you already have....T2
Old 10-07-2008 | 06:28 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T2
We've been running naked now for almost 100,000 miles, yes our 2004 C-TT has 147,000+ miles on the ticker - costs for repairs have been far less than any warranty would have covered. Bottom line is you'll spend the money in payments for a new vehicle or repairs on the one you already have....T2

proof please?
Old 10-07-2008 | 10:17 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I bought a 7 yr./ 100,000 mi. Platinum Extended Warranty policy from 1 Source Auto Warranty and got taken for $3K! Definite big mistake! Won't buy an extended warranty again!
Old 10-07-2008 | 11:11 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ljugete
I bought a 7 yr./ 100,000 mi. Platinum Extended Warranty policy from 1 Source Auto Warranty and got taken for $3K! Definite big mistake! Won't buy an extended warranty again!
This is the same ext. warranty company I had on the beta.. I hope you filed a claim here's the link to get the latest update from the Hawaii Insurance Commissioner (thus the book 'um Dano and Hawaii Five-O comments). I did buy another ext. warranty and paid a lot more but did it through the dealer. I, too, plan to keep the Tit.S to at least 100K and if doing fine even longer.

http://hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/ins/ins...ns/primeguard/
Old 10-07-2008 | 12:48 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Naked at 70K miles.

Though I did pay $4,000 this week for service which included oil change, new tires, new brake pads and rotors.

These trucks are expensive enough to maintain w/o buying the after market warranty.
Old 10-07-2008 | 01:22 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

147,778 when I left the house this morning - will take a pic tonight if I have time but will get one posted. FYI - my 2003 996TT just rolled past 195,000 miles yesterday. T2

proof please?

Quick Reply: To be naked or not to be, that is the question.