Sponsored by:

New Lowering module for Q7/Touareg/Cay $599

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:35 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I looked at the website.. it doesn't tell you jack. Are you saying it is a device that tricks the PASM into allowing you to drive at loading level? I'd love that as I think the "pig" looks best with its belly close to the ground and less "fat" above the wheel to the body.

Please explain the methodology and thyself, Alex.. why are you doing modifications on a car that you will own for only another few weeks to months?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:23 PM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Or am I missing something?
It appears we all are by thinking of it as a 'lowering module' like the ones from other aftermarket vendors. The lowering modules that I'm familiar with manipulate the stock ride heights of the vehicle (and I think the damping settings). This one doesn't.

I'm going back and forth with Solo in e-mail and their unit does _not_ modify the vehicle's stock ride heights or damping settings.

Their offering appears to just act as a 'loading level locking' module. It allows the load level ride height to be used at any speed. This contrasts to the stock behavior of raising the vehicle ride height from 'loading level' if you start to drive around very much.

It's an interesting approach given that most folks seem to be looking just for the lower look and that I've never seen anyone note the other third party approaches provide any handling improvements. I guess this also explains why this product costs so much less than other offerings.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:29 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by MadFox
So, I looked at the website. it doesn't tell you jack.
Could it be because the website was done by the marketing folks who are worried that their 'why pay $1500-$2500' line wouldn't seem like a valid comparison to what their product does.

Originally Posted by MadFox
Are you saying it is a device that tricks the PASM into allowing you to drive at loading level?
That's what I got out of them.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:23 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bancu
It appears we all are by thinking of it as a 'lowering module' like the ones from other aftermarket vendors. The lowering modules that I'm familiar with manipulate the stock ride heights of the vehicle (and I think the damping settings). This one doesn't.

I'm going back and forth with Solo in e-mail and their unit does _not_ modify the vehicle's stock ride heights or damping settings.

Their offering appears to just act as a 'loading level locking' module. It allows the load level ride height to be used at any speed. This contrasts to the stock behavior of raising the vehicle ride height from 'loading level' if you start to drive around very much.

It's an interesting approach given that most folks seem to be looking just for the lower look and that I've never seen anyone note the other third party approaches provide any handling improvements. I guess this also explains why this product costs so much less than other offerings.
Hmm, so if this is accurate it is not really a lowering module in the sense that you can go any lower than the factory settings, but it does allow you to drive in the loading setting. I wonder how it tricks the vehicle into allowing you to drive it in the load setting.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:08 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll wait for Alex's eval...

Alex, thanks for volunteering to be the guinea pig!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:40 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

larry, you KNOW that the Blue.... word is now a nicely priced item for enhancing the bottom line at our favorite German car manufacturer!!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:09 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by STATMAN
Hmm, so if this is accurate it is not really a lowering module in the sense that you can go any lower than the factory settings, but it does allow you to drive in the loading setting.
It is an accurate write-up of what became clear to me after couple of e-mails. They really say that down in their website copy:
"...lock-in the lowest loading level at 4.8 inches and experience the full handling capability of your S.U.V. at any speed!"

What throws you off a bit are the highest and lowest inches they note. I think their referencing the T-reg's ride height range 'cause the figures don’t match with what I've seen, and they sent me, for the Cayenne.

I'm with you guys that they need to say that right out of the gate to get across the facts to us thickheaded folks that have been dealing with other (perhaps real) lowering modules.

I’d edit their lead-in website copy from this:
“Why pay $1500-$2500 or more for lowering modules which need professional installation..."

To this:
"Why pay $1500-$2500 or more for lowering modules, which need professional installation, when you just want a lower looking stance and less wheel well gap as you drive your vehicle around?"
Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
larry, you KNOW that the Blue.... word is now a nicely priced item for enhancing the bottom line at our favorite German car manufacturer!!
Yes, and they know people are more than happy to pay for it.....especially since they've done nothing but bitch and whine about it for a few years now.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by STATMAN
I wonder how it tricks the vehicle into allowing you to drive it in the load setting.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:33 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Alex,
Did it come today??
Old 09-26-2008, 03:36 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Me too...
Old 09-26-2008, 06:28 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

The unit needs to be screwed in the kick panel while inserted on top of the aircompressor valve, then there's a on and off ****...

Put the car on loading level then turn the switch to on then it locks it on the loading level height... pasm sport/comfort/normal mode still works just fine...

but for height control you have to switch the unit off ,
The price is cheap but if you see the unit you'll say this is $600? LOL
But these are way better than those links.. this is a 5min install..

It does what it's suppose to do.. but the tire inflation warning light annoys me..LOLOL

amazing handling though.. he's not lying..

so i guess if youre trying to inflate your tire the air suspension cant be adjusted? so the unit triggers the tire air compressor? hmmm why didnt I think of that..hahaha

they should've called it something else.. like air susp defeat or ugly switch..haha
here's a pic... is this worth $600..
Old 09-26-2008, 06:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Wow.....I was going to suggest a simple software command to do the same thing.....

Learn something new everyday.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:57 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When they replaced my blown strut it was suggested that ride height levels are indeed set by PIWIS
Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
When they replaced my blown strut it was suggested that ride height levels are indeed set by PIWIS
Sounds like a great market opportunity, easy to undercut $599 for a simple circuit that transmits a command or two......so what exactly does the business plan look like......

If someone could be located who had design experience with Cayennes and/or Porsche electrical systems and had access to PAG in vehicle diagnostic commands ("!").....oh, never mind, I've seen this movie, I know how it ends.

Quick Reply: New Lowering module for Q7/Touareg/Cay $599