Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS manual or auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:56 AM
murdog
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an '08 V6 with the Manual tranny. I have always driven sticks and would not even consider an auto so I am somewhat biased. The throw is long but other than that, the exerience of driving something this large with a stick is awesome. Get the manual, you will not regret it!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:13 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove GTS tip & man this weekend. The manual took a few shifts to get used to, I normally drive a 6 speed 997 and the shifts were different in the GTS. Given the snow/ice I deal with in the winter here I'd probably go for the tip, I think it'd be easier to deal with when things get slippery.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Driven both and spent a week and 1000 miles with the manual.

After a while, I started using second when starting from anything other than a noticeable uphill stop. Plenty of torque to get going without slipping if you're at all good with a clutch. First, as someone noted, tops out really soon. Thus, using first around town was a pain, and hard to be truly smooth. Once I started using second to get going, the GTS became very nice in use around the city and in traffic. Everything can be done in second and third, meaning just one upshift most of the time, and no upshift from light to light or stop sign to stop sign.

First should really be labeled G, as it was in the 959, for Gelande (or terrain).

As for the shift throws, they are a bit long and light, but you get used to it and then it's not so bad. They're certainly not as nice as a Porsche sports car's. But I feel they're well worth it for the added involvement and control. Put another way: the GTS stick was the first Cayenne I've tested that I actually had fun driving as opposed to just being VERY impressed by its performance.

Local dealer, Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley, CA, has three manual GTSs: one Gray/Black/Turbo 21s, one Black/Black/Turbo 21s, and one Olive Metallic/Havannah/Olive GTS 21s. No affiliation, but my guess is they'd be willing to deal and ship given how many Cayennes are on the lot (a LOT).

Hope this is helpful.

pete
Old 09-22-2008, 08:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cayenne and 959 mentioned in the same post.......unfriggin' believeable.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag

After a while, I started using second when starting from anything other than a noticeable uphill stop. Plenty of torque to get going without slipping if you're at all good with a clutch. First, as someone noted, tops out really soon. Thus, using first around town was a pain, and hard to be truly smooth. Once I started using second to get going, the GTS became very nice in use around the city and in traffic. Everything can be done in second and third, meaning just one upshift most of the time, and no upshift from light to light or stop sign to stop sign.

First should really be labeled G, as it was in the 959, for Gelande (or terrain).

As for the shift throws, they are a bit long and light, but you get used to it and then it's not so bad. They're certainly not as nice as a Porsche sports car's. But I feel they're well worth it for the added involvement and control. Put another way: the GTS stick was the first Cayenne I've tested that I actually had fun driving as opposed to just being VERY impressed by its performance.

Local dealer, Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley, CA, has three manual GTSs: one Gray/Black/Turbo 21s, one Black/Black/Turbo 21s, and one Olive Metallic/Havannah/Olive GTS 21s. No affiliation, but my guess is they'd be willing to deal and ship given how many Cayennes are on the lot (a LOT).

Hope this is helpful.

pete

good comments excmag-- i'm going to try the 2nd gear starts and see.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:03 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

excmag, Excellence magazine?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Shrews
Instructor

I guess i really need to drive one, i've got the itch and need to scratch it soon. Pete, thanks for the write up, great commentary!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
excmag, Excellence magazine?
yep, but sssssh! (I try to keep a low profile) (or semi-low profile!)

pete (stout)
Old 09-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

yep, but sssssh! (I try to keep a low profile) (or semi-low profile!)

pete (stout)
OK, I won't tell anybody, it'll just be our little secret.....

FWIW, my Nov. issue just came today.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Shrews
Instructor

Drove the manual version today. i almost bought a tip last week and boy am i glad i didn't! Throws took a little (2 shifts up and down) to get used to but the manual definently makes it a more "fun" experience. 2nd gear starts are a piece of cake as well.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 PM
johnfields
Track Day

Default Took delivery of a manual GTS last week

Hope this is helpful.

pete

Pete, your comments have been very helpful as was the article in Excellence Magazine (April). I trusted you guys and the 6 speed was the right choice for me. I am having a blast. I ordered my GTS in July and spent at least 45 minutes test driving manuals to "make sure". My GTS has 200 easy miles on it and I am looking forward to pushing it after the break-in period.

Meteor Grey/Full Blk 6 speed
Old 10-13-2008, 03:12 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnfields
Pete, your comments have been very helpful as was the article in Excellence Magazine (April). I trusted you guys and the 6 speed was the right choice for me. I am having a blast. I ordered my GTS in July and spent at least 45 minutes test driving manuals to "make sure". My GTS has 200 easy miles on it and I am looking forward to pushing it after the break-in period.

Meteor Grey/Full Blk 6 speed
So good to hear. Manual isn't for everyone, but for those who like to shift, the GTS stick is so, so good.

pete
Old 10-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Shrews
Instructor

Pete, you definitely hit the nail on the head. I found the Tiptronic to be so removed and boring whereas the manual put a great level of "fun" into the GTS.

Quick Reply: GTS manual or auto