Sponsored by:

GTS manual or auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Shrews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTS manual or auto

So i have decided to buy a GTS. the local dealer does not have (nor will they be getting one) a 6speed that i can sample. It seems everyone is polarized on this issue. I think i want the manual (currently using a 996 gt3 as my daily driver) but various people i talk to say the 6speed GTS is bad. If i want one i have to order it and wait vs the tiptronics which are readily available. (i will be getting rid of the gt3 with the ultimate goal of buying a dedicated track car/club racer..)

anyone with seat time in both have an opinion they would care to share?

Shrews
Old 09-17-2008, 12:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The general concensus is that the linkage/throw/feel of the Cayenne gearbox, although much improved over the original V6 gearbox, is still rather poor.

Purely subjective, since shifter/throw/linkage feel is very personal.

I will skip the whole PHC thing for now......
Old 09-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

I wish I could spend time in both! I have only driven the tip.

I think it comes down to your personal preference, and to how you will use the vehicle.

Did the dealer give you any indication that they would more willing to give you a good deal on an existing tip? That may help you decide too. Can they locate a manual anywhere else in the country?

If I were the one buying, I'd get the manual... but hey, that's just me.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:28 PM
APXD 30
Advanced

I have driven the GTS manual on the Leipzig track and have an '08 V6 manual. It is not GT3 crisp but I personally prefer it to the Tip. In the GTS manual had the added benefit of controlling the sounds!

JPD
'08 Cayenne Manual (Leipzig '08)
'06 987 S (Stuttgart '06)
'06 GTI MkV
'03 A4 Q

Past: '99 986
Old 09-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Shrews
Instructor

I'm 95% in the manual camp. i'm sure i could get a better deal on an instock Tip. The dealer is trying to arrange a test drive of a customers GTS w/ a 6speed. Hopefully that will give me the answer i've been looking for.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:56 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not driven either GTS (only an '08 "regular" S tip)- my gut is to tell 95% of the people that would ask me this question to go with the tip due to both the type of vehicle (basically a lowered SUV or hopped up sport wagon) and ability to negotiate based on dealer existing stock. HOWEVER, in your case you are the 5% that should get the stick. If you are driving a GT3 as your everyday car, well then I think you'd want the involvement of the stick- anyone to drive a GT3 everyday doesn't mind more involvement in their car!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Shrews
Instructor

Andrew, you are spot on. I grew up on a farm and everyone that tells me the manual is to "truck-like" just makes me laugh... some of the old beaters i've driven can definently give you perspective on that
Old 09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
APXD 30
Advanced

Here's my analogy of what other car my manual Cayenne shifts like: a 2004 Accord manual we leased to teach my wife stick shift a few years back.

Not a bad thing but, by no means, a GT3 thing either.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Shrews
Instructor

APXD i really dont expect it to shift like my gt3.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:56 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

A manual transmission on a Cayenne GTS is probably fun, but stil a PITA in city traffic (as is with my 993). The resale issues and gas mileage also would be a pain. Mostly highway use would be alright and alot more enjoyable.

Go with what your heart tells you and enjoy!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:23 PM
copasetic222
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to porscheusa.com and do a dealer search for Texas and look at new Cayenne inventory in the Dallas and Houston area. I'll be you'll find GTS's with 6 speeds. Take a little road trip and test drive. It will be well worth it to you.
And if you decide a 6 speed, I'll bet your dealer could locate one.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ljugete
A manual transmission on a Cayenne GTS is probably fun, but stil a PITA in city traffic (as is with my 993). The resale issues and gas mileage also would be a pain. Mostly highway use would be alright and alot more enjoyable.

Go with what your heart tells you and enjoy!
I suspect you would have no trouble with resale. Very few of them available and lots of us that don't buy new would love to have a 6 speed GTS just waiting for one to hit the used market.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Shrews
Instructor

where on porsche USA can you do a new inventory search? I know parkplace in dallas has a couple of 6speeds (altho they are in black which i refuse to buy....)
Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can take a trip to Chicago. Porsche Exchange has a manual GTS with the PDDC. It's RED too.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i had the tip CTT - 6 months - and now the manual GTS - 3 months.

first - see if you can locate a V6 manual as it will give you the feel if you need to try one.

second - the manual is good; the throws are fun when you think about them and can enjoy. when you are too busy and just running through them they go so smoothly you are in 4th and don't even remember shifting.

1s to second - nice throw but like most, the ratio's a little work if you goose it. 2 to 3rd is so smooth and to 4th is the same. down shifting to 3rd is easy - no downright fun - and going down to 2nd sounds soooooh nice.

clutch is a little heavy but that is forgotten soon after engine gets warm.

anything you have heard about the grab handles getting in the way is BS.

1st caps out fairly quickly but 2nd and 3rd are really nice gear ratios; given both the upshifts and downshifts here are fun, the manual gets nicely engaging when you want to have fun.

it is much easier to fool around with the sound of the exhaust when using the sport button - which you will find is pretty much always on imo.

Quick Reply: GTS manual or auto