Sponsored by:

Just did front brakes and rotors on my V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 12:44 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just did front brakes and rotors on my V6

And I have to say it wasn't that bad. The first side took about 90 min (including a run to sears for a Torx-50)...the second side took about 30min. New rotors, hardware, and Hawk ceramic pads. I'll try to compile a complete DIY from all the posts I used.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:35 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Were your rotors worn so far down they needed replacement? I will need new brakes soon but I was planning on just replacing the pads. I believe there is only minimal wear on the rotors. Curious if you measured yours or what?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

Porsche recommends changing the rotors as well as the pads each time.

I did my pads a few months ago, and I measured the rotors. My rotors were all well within spec, so I only did pads.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:23 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Were your rotors worn so far down they needed replacement? I will need new brakes soon but I was planning on just replacing the pads. I believe there is only minimal wear on the rotors. Curious if you measured yours or what?
The front rotors were below spec. But lets face it, spec is only 2-3mm. I guess we would need some mechanical engineers to tell us if that puts the rotor at significant risk for failure? I think I would be less cautious if we were talking rear rotors as opposed to the fronts. BTW, my rotors had 40k miles on them.

Anyway, I had the dealer check the rotors. You can do it yourself with a brake micrometer. I forgot what the exact specs are. If I find them I'll post it with my DIY this weekend.

The rotors only run about $100 a piece. It's easy to do. And when you are saving $700 in labor by DIY, why not replace them.

Quick Reply: Just did front brakes and rotors on my V6