Sponsored by:

squeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:16 AM
pokerjarvis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default squeaky brakes

I just had the front brakes on my '04 CS done; Hawk pads, TRInet rotors, new hardware, new sensors. Unforturnately, they are quite noisy, especially the left one. Loud squeak nearly everytime I'm on the pedal. I'm wondering if anything can be done or if possibly the noise will go away after some breaking in. The Hawk pads are supposed to be noise and dust free...one outta two ain't bad. Wait. Yes it is.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 901 Posts

Did you do them, or did you have a mechanic do them? If you did them, did you use brake grease on the back of the pads?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:02 PM
pokerjarvis
Instructor

I had a mechanic do them; not sure if brake grease was used.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Interesting. I'm not sure what to tell you. I just replaced my pads a few weeks ago, and I used synthetic brake grease called "brake quiet" on the backs of all four pads. I have no squeaking at all.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:49 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Interesting. I'm not sure what to tell you. I just replaced my pads a few weeks ago, and I used synthetic brake grease called "brake quiet" on the backs of all four pads. I have no squeaking at all.
You could tell him to get a new mechanic as a start
Old 06-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRCTT
You could tell him to get a new mechanic as a start
Old 06-28-2008, 09:59 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerjarvis
I just had the front brakes on my '04 CS done; Hawk pads, TRInet rotors, new hardware, new sensors. Unforturnately, they are quite noisy, especially the left one. Loud squeak nearly everytime I'm on the pedal. I'm wondering if anything can be done or if possibly the noise will go away after some breaking in. The Hawk pads are supposed to be noise and dust free...one outta two ain't bad. Wait. Yes it is.

Give it some time. Brake squeaks come and go frequently in that vehicle. Most of the time, they are non-existent

This might seem less than helpful, but the factors that cause a squeak are several -- and constantly changing. At the end of the day, the Cayenne does not have an inherent problem with "squeaking" brakes.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Cannoli
Instructor

I recently changed my rotors and pads on my 955 Cayenne turbo. I've changed brakes often on my other cars and have used a liberal amount of anti-seize paste (Permatex, Napa, etc.) on the back and perimeter of the pads. No squeaks.

Now on the 955, Porsche does NOT recommend that any paste is used. You'll note that the pads have large cylindrical features on the sides. I believe this is to add mass to the brake system to prevent vibration and/or squeaks. With my new brakes (Hawk HPS pads and Stoptech rotors), I don't have any squeaks or any non-normal noise when the brakes are applied.

You just might want to remove the pads from the corner that you are hearing the squeal from and apply some anti-seize paste on the back side of the pads. This should take about 15 to 30 minutes to complete.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: squeaky brakes