08/09 CTT Reliability Questions - Sorry

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by droptop
you are 100% right, if you are buying it as a lawn ornament.

if you expect it to get you somewhere, as opposed to being a hangar queen, the answer may be different. i am convinced that most buy the cayenne as a form of potlach, however. using this analogy, the rolex vs timex argument is quite applicable. they both do the same thing, the timex is probably more accurate, but you can flash the rolex at the local watering hole and get the proper amount of envy.

i was probably the only person on this board who would have preferred having a "debadged" one. i didn't want my banker to get steamed up when i pulled in, and i certainly didn't want the attention of the particular type of girl who showed up to polish the windows with her...attentions.

i will take the FX. it's faster, corners better, and actually works. plus, most folks think it is a murano...which suits me just fine.
Debadging does really very little when attracting attention. I can't tell you how many people STILL ask me who makes the car I am driving despite a front badge, colored center cap badges and a trailer hitch badge. I pulled into Costco last week and as I am filling up a car full of young adults pulls up in a nicely modded Mercedes. The girl in the front seat starts shooting pics of my vehicle and asks her boyfriend what kind of car it is. Despite the badge being my trailer hitch and just a few feet away she still has to ask. Incidentally her boyfriend pronounced Porsche as a single syllable word. My point is that the badge does little to make the car noticed or recognized. It is just your personal preference and how you see the car. If you wash your car it will attract plenty of attention like it or not.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:13 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i saw

a debadged one once, and it had more of the look i would have preferred. it was missing all of the porsche and cayenne marques, along with most of the trim (which had been blacked out on a black car). the result was something very understated, which looked like it might be more utility oriented.

if porsche wants to be two syllables, the need to get in line with the french and learn how to spell....
Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by leek
evolver,
You won't get an even handed response from droptop. Search his past posts. There is nothing positive at all to say about the Cayenne..
Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 901 Posts

I think attention to the vehicle depends partly on where you are located. In Fort Wayne, Indiana it is rare to see another Cayenne. We are in the heartland here, so a tricked out Ford truck will get much more attention than a Cayenne. I see another Cayenne about once a week here. Most people simply don't know what it is.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:55 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

droptop,
First oil change is now 12K at least on Turbo.
This thing has not been pampered, it has towed 6000 lb boats over mountain passes three times. Been to construction sites weekly and traveled through the mountains repeatedly in the winter.
I went back and looked at your posts, I could not find anything positive other than a passing reference to liking the onboard compressor approximately 100 posts back. The rest of it appears to be very negative and not balanced.
If I would have listened to the naysayers I would have not purchased the CTT and I would have missed out on what has been a great experience so far. By the way mine has no rear badge on it and is very subtle except for the red brakes but I did not want to pay $1700 to get them painted grey.
Barrier in Bellevue has been great. I have had good experience with them on Audi (200T and allroad) which were high milage reliable vehicles (allroad has 130K and son is driving everyday). Wife has 08 350 e series MB also from Barrier.
The decision to buy the Cayenne was based on driving impressions, towing capability (7700 # vs. 2000/3500 # for the infinity), curb appeal, comfort, off road capability and moderate size. Because of the concerns spelled out in this forum I waited until 08 to pull the trigger. I am also an engineer.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is really good stuff
Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mea maxima culpa

my mistake, i thought the OCI was 20k on them all.

there are several posts where i make positive comments about the cayenne (one in which our esteemed madfox talks about fainting after reading, IIRC). as i have said on more than one of my "bad" posts, the dealership will make all the difference with the cayenne. midwest dealers cannot seem to handle ANY german car, no matter what the marque. however, i stand by my statement that at under 20k you aren't anywhere close to getting to the point that you can sigh in relief. furthermore, planning on going naked?

to the OP's original point, and also to the most recent question for me that you responded to (i have had a good off forum discussion with the gentleman), if you are used to Japanese quality and reliability, porsche will more than likely seem like a choice slice of 2nd law of thermodynamics HELL.

also, you better pray to whatever gods you hold sway with that you NEVER have to deal with PCNA, i have known card sharps with better moral standing.

glad yours is working out, i guess someone has to be on the left side of the bell shaped curve.....for awhile anyway.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:02 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned several Japanese cars. They were reliable but very ordinary to drive. I also was hit in the front quarter and was shocked at the result. The car that I was driving was damaged very badly by an impact that was not all that significant.
I have no plans to buy an insurance policy. I paid cash for the car and will pay cash to have it repaired when necessary. When it starts costing me more money than I care to spend I will sell it or give it away and buy another. If history is accurate that will be about 10 years or 120K miles.
I don't plan to deal with PNCA, Barrier has been good when I have had issues and have resolved the issues fairly and promptly.

Quick Reply: 08/09 CTT Reliability Questions - Sorry