Sponsored by:

Thinking of purchasing an 04 Turbo-Your thoughts please

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:19 AM
yeags72
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of purchasing an 04 Turbo-Your thoughts please

I have a lead on an 04 Cayenne Turbo with 22,500 miles. The only options are 20" wheels, comfort and convenience and disc changer. The price seems really good at $39,000. The 20,000 mile service was performed.. The production date was 12/03. After reading through this forum, I have become a little nervous of the fact the car is out of warranty. I definitely would purchase a "bumper to bumper" warranty for this vehicle but I am still scared of uncovered items. I have obtained the full service history of the vehicle and it seems it has cost the original owner and arm and a leg even while under factory warranty. Obtaining the service history has lead me to further investigate this vehicle-hence how I found you guys. Some of the repairs include :

5,049 miles
Headlight retro fit
Instr. Cluster speed units
Alignment
customer states sluggish at times-no problem found
Microswitch
Wiper arm cover

9,488 miles
4 new tires
Rear hatch release switch

16,214 Miles
20,000 mile service to the tune of $3026
Front pads and rotors replaced
Replaced PCM with new unit (customer states when putting in CD loud Noise)
Airbag light
Seatbelt strap
Key Fob Remote
Glass/window lifter unit
Microswitch
Two more new tires
Various other "campaigns" which I assume are recalls.

I would greatly appreciate anyones input on this vehicle and your thoughts on whether or not this would be a good purchase considering the service history and whether or not these items are common and will the shop become my second home. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yeags72
I have a lead on an 04 Cayenne Turbo with 22,500 miles. The only options are 20" wheels, comfort and convenience and disc changer. The price seems really good at $39,000. The 20,000 mile service was performed.. The production date was 12/03. After reading through this forum, I have become a little nervous of the fact the car is out of warranty. I definitely would purchase a "bumper to bumper" warranty for this vehicle but I am still scared of uncovered items. I have obtained the full service history of the vehicle and it seems it has cost the original owner and arm and a leg even while under factory warranty. Obtaining the service history has lead me to further investigate this vehicle-hence how I found you guys. Some of the repairs include :

5,049 miles
Headlight retro fit
Instr. Cluster speed units
Alignment
customer states sluggish at times-no problem found
Microswitch
Wiper arm cover

9,488 miles
4 new tires
Rear hatch release switch

16,214 Miles
20,000 mile service to the tune of $3026
Front pads and rotors replaced
Replaced PCM with new unit (customer states when putting in CD loud Noise)
Airbag light
Seatbelt strap
Key Fob Remote
Glass/window lifter unit
Microswitch
Two more new tires
Various other "campaigns" which I assume are recalls.

I would greatly appreciate anyones input on this vehicle and your thoughts on whether or not this would be a good purchase considering the service history and whether or not these items are common and will the shop become my second home. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.
FORE !

Headlight retro fit: Maxipads or Ventillation kit?

customer states sluggish at times-no problem found: Hesitation, in a Cayenne?

Microswitch, Rear hatch release switch, Microswitch: 3rd time is a charm for the rear window microswitch, apparently some people don't want the rear glass to open by itself

Key Fob Remote: apparently 6" of range wasn't enough, nothing new here,move along

Glass/window lifter unit: ah, yes, rear hatch erectile dysfunction, no biggie (no pun intended)

Various other "campaigns" which I assume are recalls: Actually AFAIK, there has been only one official recall for the pig, A506: Cowboy Belt Buckles...everything else is a voluntary service action......voluntary, suicide is voluntary isn't it.

After reading through this forum, I have become a little nervous of the fact the car is out of warranty. I definitely would purchase a "bumper to bumper" warranty for this vehicle but I am still scared of uncovered items: A little nervous.....

Summary: The pig is worth somewhere around $35K, so when you add the aftermarket prophylactic warranty, you should end up paying no more than $39K total out of pocket.

Go ahead, buy it
Old 06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

BTW, what is the oil consumption on this particular vehicle?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:46 AM
yeags72
3rd Gear

No idea what the oil consumption is but she has had it changed 3 times within 16,214 miles and I am assuming she took it to the dealership every time she did anything- I think she assumed that was the only place to take it. Why do you say it is worth only $35K as-is and what is the deal with oil consumption?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:04 PM
ak13
AutoX

Have had a '05 CTT without any issues so far and am happy with it. My 2 cents would be to look for a deal on 05s or later as I gather, from this and other forums, that they tend to have fewer issues.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by yeags72
No idea what the oil consumption is but she has had it changed 3 times within 16,214 miles and I am assuming she took it to the dealership every time she did anything- I think she assumed that was the only place to take it. Why do you say it is worth only $35K as-is and what is the deal with oil consumption?
Some of the (Porsche) Turbo engines have reported 'higher than expected' oil consumption, resulting in Porsche changing the limit of 'acceptable'.

IIRC, it is now 1qt/1000km.

It's good that the oil was changed 3x in 16K miles, but that doesn't really say if she or the dealership was topping off the oil.

$35K is just an opinion, take it FWIW. An extended warranty will likely be in the $3500 range (not too many companies are eager to insure Cayennes.....ask MadFox about Hawaii......something about 'liability')
Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 983 Posts

It sounds like this Cayenne has had many of the more common problem issues. I'm surprised there was no cardan shaft issue...

With tires at less than 10K and brakes at 20K, it sounds like this pig was ridden hard and put up wet.

The production date for this vehicle puts it right in the "sweet spot" for Cayennes with known issues.

I'd be a little nervous too.

I think you'd be better off finding a 2005 or later with some factory warranty remaining.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Who drove this thing? My 04 CTT has 30k miles. I am still on the first set of tires, rotors and brake pads. Haven't had any of the issues listed and I am not easy on any of my cars.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 PM
yeags72
3rd Gear

I think I will stear away from an 04Turbo. Thank you all for your responses. I have learned a ton about the "pig". I need an 06Turbo and that unfortunately will have to wait!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Great, now look what you've all done.....scared another one away.

And I was all set at the bottom of the cliff....sun block, umbrella, chaise lounge chair, Purplesaurus Rex, popcorn......just waiting for him to take the plunge.

Fine.....wake me when the next lemming is sprinting towards the cliff.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

He may reconsider a 2005 and take the plunge after all.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dennis C
He may reconsider a 2005 and take the plunge after all.
Stop trying to make me feel better......
Old 06-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Stop trying to make me feel better......
I don't think you need me to help you with that... as the price drops on 2003 and 2004 Cayennes, there will be many, many others. You won't be bored in your lounge chair...
Old 06-12-2008, 07:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I'm surprised there are any 2003 and 2004 Cayennes left in the USA....I would have thought they all ended up in Russia.

Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing an 04 Turbo-Your thoughts please