Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne ownership

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:03 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting 14mpg in mixed driving with CTT. Best I am gotten out on the road is 18 plus. Absolutely no problems with 08 in the first year of ownership (15,000 plus miles). The problems with 05 and 06 seem minor.
Yesterday I noted that Cayenne was runner up in their category for best initial quality and Porsche was #1 manufacturer overall. I don't have an extended warrentee and don't plan on purchasing one. I keep the cars for 10 years or 120K miles. I think it just took Porsche 2-3 years to work out the bugs in a vehicle type that they had never built before.
The car is very capable in the snow with dedicated snow tires (I am still running the Pirelli Scorpions because I like them so much). It is a capable tow vehicle and a joy to drive everyday (it handles like a large sports car).
Old 06-05-2008, 07:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 06-05-2008, 08:14 PM
tonga3
Advanced

So I'm going to look at one tomorrow. It has 90000km's and is an'05 Cayenne S. I asked for the vin number and phoned the local porsche dealer, the service department was quite helpfull. Apparently the coils have all been done all service was done at the dealer and they have had numerous bulbs replaced. Other than that he says the history looks good. He also said to expect to burn about 1 litre of oil every 3000 km, front brakes every 35000-40000 and tires about the same. He said brakes were fairly simple to do but Porsche changes the rotors as well as the pads every time, is it nescessary to change rotors every time? Apparently you have to change a pad sensor as well, is this true? And finally (at least for this post) does anyone have any input as to how many miles you can expect out of these motors anr transmissions? The service guy said he has not seen one higher than 150000km, it still ran fine, but that's as high as he's seen. Thank's to everyone for the help so far, it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andy
Old 06-05-2008, 08:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

IIRC, Rennlist member T2 has ~ 130,000 miles on his Cayenne Turbo.

No, you don't have to replace rotors evertime you replace pads (as long as the rotors are still within spec)

You generally replace sensors, since they break easily during changes sometimes.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:59 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the majority of forum members (past and present....and even deceased) are reluctant to own a Cayenne 'naked'.
The vehicles tend to be discarded right around when the warranty is about to expire.
Never really stopped and wondered why.....oh, never mind.
If you surveyed all the P-car owners that purchased their cars brand new I'm confident that a disproportionate number of them sold/traded-in their cars before the warranty period was up. The Cayenne is not special in that regard.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 AM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Milage with my 6 is about 21, driving 60-65 mph. The CS, around town is more in the 15-16 range. Although I used to get 19 or so when I commuted with the CS. I got 15 with it towing (watch out Larry) an aluminum trailer with a Boxster on it. I do have the cat bypass on both and that seemed to improve the milage some.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:43 PM
tonga3
Advanced

Well I pulled the trigger and got an '05 CS. All I have to say is WOW!!!. What an absolute joy to drive, my wife says it is the first vehicle she's owned that she has been excited to drive. Judging by most of your guys (and girls) car lists you are generally fairly affluent individuals, I am a very Blue collar guy who just replaced his '99 Explorer with 300000k's with what I thought I would never see in my life, a Porsche symbol. After driving this rare gem for a week alot of neighbors and friends have asked me about it, and all I can say to them is if given the chance everyone should be able to own and drive a vehicle like this. This truck is an absolute dream and treat to drive. Hopefully it remains fairly trouble free and I don't need to take it to the dealer for much because they are quite pricey, but I can't describe the overall pleasure this thing is to drive. Thank you all for your input on this vehicle.

Thanks
Andy
Old 06-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 983 Posts

Did you get a CPO car or an extended warranty? If not, then I would recommend getting your dealer to look it over and repair anything outstanding before the warranty expires.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:17 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well done congrats Andy, good luck with the car. Enjoy!!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tonga3
Well I pulled the trigger and got an '05 CS.....
Hmmn, 'Cayenne ownership' and 'pulled the trigger'

Freudian slip or Nostradamus like prediction......you decide
Old 06-25-2008, 12:15 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 589 Posts

Lewis, you just can't stay away can you???
Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If someone doesn't "kick the bee's nest" every now and again....you'll end up with 'Cayenne laundry talk'.

Besides, I need something to help pass the time.....I am #1 on my dealer's list for the Cayenne Hybrid and the wait is killing me............wait a minute, what's that Larry?......it may not work? caught fire? replaced by a Cayenne diesel? Oh dear, now what am I going to do?
Old 06-25-2008, 05:50 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default don't worry, be happy

after all, the 2011 redesign is just around the corner.......
Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
Hmmn, 'Cayenne ownership' and 'pulled the trigger'

Freudian slip or Nostradamus like prediction......you decide
A definite quatrain...
Old 06-25-2008, 10:21 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tonga3
Well I pulled the trigger and got an '05 CS. All I have to say is WOW!!!. What an absolute joy to drive, my wife says it is the first vehicle she's owned that she has been excited to drive. Judging by most of your guys (and girls) car lists you are generally fairly affluent individuals, I am a very Blue collar guy who just replaced his '99 Explorer with 300000k's with what I thought I would never see in my life, a Porsche symbol. After driving this rare gem for a week alot of neighbors and friends have asked me about it, and all I can say to them is if given the chance everyone should be able to own and drive a vehicle like this. This truck is an absolute dream and treat to drive. Hopefully it remains fairly trouble free and I don't need to take it to the dealer for much because they are quite pricey, but I can't describe the overall pleasure this thing is to drive. Thank you all for your input on this vehicle.

Thanks
Andy

Congrats! I still am amazed at the beauty of the interior every time I get into my wifes 06.
Drive it like you stole it!

Quick Reply: Cayenne ownership