Sponsored by:

radio gremlin...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
545moose
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RJH_MUSIC
Sorry, that did not work. Even made it worse. There is no feature for Traffic announcements in the PCCM+, only Turning off Traffic notifications on the MAP's options.
Mine's gone ape sheet now too. Aside from my first post a few weeks back, the past few days I had new developments too. First started with switching from FM to SAT to try and find my radio ID for Sirius. Initially it worked fine, SAT radio actually worked on all stations somehow and was great, no idea if the previous owner had it and didn't cancel, or some anomaly, but I went from that quickly to a few days later, switching from that back to FM, still showed AM frequency on the radio and dash display, then could SCAN forward in SAT, but when I chose by station, it just stayed on channel "0". So from that yesterday, and now this morning the radio turns on, shows all 3 (AM/FM/SAT) yet I have no volume at all, nadda. head unit, wheel controls, reset settings, silience. Not sure what to do now but I can't go without sound for long. This all points back to the amp? 05' Cayenne S
Old 02-01-2024, 09:54 AM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 545moose
Mine's gone ape sheet now too. Aside from my first post a few weeks back, the past few days I had new developments too. First started with switching from FM to SAT to try and find my radio ID for Sirius. Initially it worked fine, SAT radio actually worked on all stations somehow and was great, no idea if the previous owner had it and didn't cancel, or some anomaly, but I went from that quickly to a few days later, switching from that back to FM, still showed AM frequency on the radio and dash display, then could SCAN forward in SAT, but when I chose by station, it just stayed on channel "0". So from that yesterday, and now this morning the radio turns on, shows all 3 (AM/FM/SAT) yet I have no volume at all, nadda. head unit, wheel controls, reset settings, silience. Not sure what to do now but I can't go without sound for long. This all points back to the amp? 05' Cayenne S
You could have a bad amp...but your PCM is also dead. Are you keeping it stock for a reason? The PCM is terribly outdated, and as you see, prone to failure. I would replace the radio with a android unit (Xtrons, Seicane, etc) made for the Cayenne, a PCCM+, or a generic aftermarket radio (Kenwood, Pioneer, etc) and see where you are.
The following users liked this post:
545moose (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 11:45 AM
545moose
Advanced

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
You could have a bad amp...but your PCM is also dead. Are you keeping it stock for a reason? The PCM is terribly outdated, and as you see, prone to failure. I would replace the radio with a android unit (Xtrons, Seicane, etc) made for the Cayenne, a PCCM+, or a generic aftermarket radio (Kenwood, Pioneer, etc) and see where you are.
Not particularly no, just picked up my 05' a few weeks ago. Still trying to understand all that PCM is/does etc. No radio at all is gonna need a quick fix though, that's a no-go. I'll look at a few Android units. Crutchfield has a lot of options for a double DIN, even with all the adapters and such they seem to be cheaper than the PCCM+ route. The most plug and play option is what I'm shooting for

Last edited by 545moose; 02-01-2024 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:58 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,140 Posts

No sound at all is a problem with the amp. My '06 has the no sound problem when it's colder than 20F. When it's around 0F the amp makes loud popping and crackling sounds through the speakers.
Warmer though it's fine.
Probably bad capacitors in the amp. I heard Becker can fix them, might be my next step.
545moose (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 01:00 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
No sound at all is a problem with the amp. My '06 has the no sound problem when it's colder than 20F. When it's around 0F the amp makes loud popping and crackling sounds through the speakers.
Warmer though it's fine.
Probably bad capacitors in the amp. I heard Becker can fix them, might be my next step.
Possibly, but if the PCM is not outputting any audio signal (which is possible because he said it is acting weird), then it could just be the PCM.

To troubleshoot, I would buy an android radio made for the cayenne and a MOST decoder off of amazon (make sure you get ones that have free returns). If you have audio again, your amp is working. If not, you're going to need a new amp or send off yours to get refurbished.
545moose (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 01:36 PM
545moose
Advanced

Possibly, but if the PCM is not outputting any audio signal (which is possible because he said it is acting weird), then it could just be the PCM.

To troubleshoot, I would buy an android radio made for the cayenne and a MOST decoder off of amazon (make sure you get ones that have free returns). If you have audio again, your amp is working. If not, you're going to need a new amp or send off yours to get refurbished.

Thanks a bunch Brian, I'll see what I can find and run through that test. I also emailed Becker to see what they charge to repair and replace things.
BobcatBrian (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 02:11 PM
545moose
Advanced

Do I need both Male-Female ends?
Amazon.com: RKX MOST fiber optic optical loop bypass Female Adapter for radio and audio compatible with Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche and Volvo : Electronics Amazon.com: RKX MOST fiber optic optical loop bypass Female Adapter for radio and audio compatible with Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche and Volvo : Electronics
Old 02-01-2024, 09:59 PM
RJH_MUSIC
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m not positive, but I may have solved my problem by accident. I recently purchased the dash Chrono and a dashboard with the hole and I’m getting ready to operate on the car to hook it up so I pulled out the PCCM + unit to check the wiring. I remember when I installed it I could not use the antenna extensions that were provided in the kit because the cables didn’t match. So I checked the antenna FM cable, unplugged it and plugged it in and the problem seems to have gone away so it may have been a loose antenna cable.

I also looked at going aftermarket when replacing the stock older PCM unit and in the end I chose the Porsche because it came with everything I needed and the wiring no splicing just plug-in play, and I believe it was worth it. All beit at very expensive. The SAT issue you’re having was not related. If it changing all the time to channel 0 that means you don’t have a subscription and it was trying to get you to sign up for one. The only other time you would get the SAT radio is if they were giving a free weekend.. which Sirius does just about every other weekend.

again, take a look at the Porsche PCCM plus. It provides navigation, AM, FM android auto, as well as Bluetooth and Apple phone. And it comes with the SiriusXM adapter already included, and all of the wiring harnesses. Take the old one out and plug in the new one, it also integrates with the cars computer management for other functions.
545moose (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 10:43 PM
545moose
Advanced

So earlier today, I went to leave work and started the car; RADIO WAS ON ULTRA HIGH VOLUME, about went deaf when it turned on lol, screaming!!! So I had sound again going home lol, adding to that, my side mirrors were all jacked up and moved from when I parked it this morning. Totally blew my mind and don’t get it.

Quick Reply: radio gremlin...