Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannoli
0w-40 for most parts of the US ... check your Owners Manual for more information..
IIRC, Porsche has recently updated their 'recommended oil list' for the world.
The most popular choice is now 5W-40, unless you live in a specific climate where you need 0W-40.
FWIW, 0W-40 Mobil 1 is the only factory fill oil currently in use.
If you do a search, you will likely find the complete/updated list for the world.

By the way, ltc actually went easy on you ... he tends to be vicious with new meat.
Damn these meds.
The only weapon I have left are Larry's trusty squirrels:

Last edited by ltc; 05-16-2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to be switching to Elf (Total) Excellium NF 5w40 on my next oil change.

It's one of the very few oils that's got the blessing of the 993 (air-cooled) gurus, is also on Porsche's Approved Oil List and also on BMW's approved for my M3.

It also comes in 5L jugs so it cuts down on my storage issues and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Read one of the several oil threads on the 993 forum for some real entertainment.....
Old 05-16-2008, 02:00 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW

It also comes in 5L jugs so it cuts down on my storage issues and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Read one of the several oil threads on the 993 forum for some real entertainment.....
ooh really, nice. Now I can get the case out of the back and help the environment with less plast.... never mind.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:02 PM
vyper340
Pro

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I'm going to be switching to Elf (Total) Excellium NF 5w40 on my next oil change.

It's one of the very few oils that's got the blessing of the 993 (air-cooled) gurus, is also on Porsche's Approved Oil List and also on BMW's approved for my M3.

Where is it generally available??
Old 05-16-2008, 03:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Spec sheet:
http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produ...ang_1/6342.pdf

http://www.polepositionusa.com/produ...cfm?sid=google

http://www.worldimpex.com/featured_9.html

http://www.germanfilters.com/elf-exc...3979_3980.html

Easy to find online.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I actually found it a little bit cheaper at

Performance Oil Store. They are in Oak Ridge, TN. Also, their max shipping charge is $20.

I ordered (4) 5L bottles and my shipping was only $13 I believe, of course it helps I'm in Nashville.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 05-20-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:31 PM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
Oh, so I didn't just make it up.....huh.
(Where is MadFox? I could use him right about now...he is the father of STTF)

You should receive a Carrera GT as a loaner car......they probably won't give you a free quart of Mobil 1 oil.

You're welcome.......be sure to let us know what you think of the Carrera GT.
Well the loaner is a sweet 08 cayman S with only 1300 miles on it. I think I like it better then the Carrera they wanted to stick me with!!

According to the service manager, Porsche says not to worry as long as it isn't burning over a quart every 750 miles.
I told him that had to be a joke and he agreed it was ridicules. He said from now on just stop by any time and they would top it off for free. Just to be sure, they are going to check it out from top to bottom. He also said if there is any update flashes they are going to run those for me as well. I told them to go ahead and put the Turbo S flash on for me ..... No Charge.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Cannoli
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you actually got a P-car as a loaner? The two Porsche dealerships in my neck-of-the-woods subcontracts to a rental car agency (Hertz) for loaner cars, which are either Japanese or USA cars. Now, when I bring my 500E to my local MB dealer, I'm sent to an in-house rental car agency, but I'm given a MB as a loaner.

And remember, never leave home without a spare quart of oil for your Cayenne Turbo - it's an unwritten rule.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 PM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

`And remember, never leave home without a spare quart of oil for your Cayenne Turbo - it's an unwritten rule.
I think I am going to make this know to the public at large. The previous owner traded in my Turbo just for this reason. I bet if this was made public they would be hard pressed to sell Turbos to the unsuspecting public, like me and her. In order to sell them they would have to provide all owners a case of oil every 6 months. Now wouldn't that be nice.

I have a 96 300ZX Twin Turbo that is pushing over 400 to the wheel and it doesn't use even a qt of oil every 5000 miles when I change the oil.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by daddy Turbo
I think I am going to make this know to the public at large. The previous owner traded in my Turbo just for this reason. I bet if this was made public they would be hard pressed to sell Turbos to the unsuspecting public, like me and her. In order to sell them they would have to provide all owners a case of oil every 6 months. Now wouldn't that be nice..
Would you care to make a bet? Go ahead, make my day.

I have a 96 300ZX Twin Turbo that is pushing over 400 to the wheel and it doesn't use even a qt of oil every 5000 miles when I change the oil.
Japanese engines are built differently than German engines, different philosophy on tolerances and assembly.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Cannoli
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankly, I'm okay with the oil consumption with the Turbo. If that is how it normally operates - fine, so be it. Carry a quart of oil when on long trips.

As ltc said, one can't expect German engines to operate just like Japanese engines - different engineering philosophies. Hell, in 2008 Formula 1, even though the engines are "spec" engines, Ferrari engines tend to be more reliable and out perform most of the other teams.

Enjoy the CTT for what it is ... a quart of oil for ~ 1000 miles.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 PM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Enjoy the CTT for what it is ... a quart of oil for ~ 1000 miles.
Oh don't get me wrong ........ I love the CTT. However if I could get Porsche to pay for the oil, then why not.

Look what a little bitching got me already ...... a day with the Cayman S and freeeeeeeeee oil any time I want to drop by the dealership.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Oh don't get me wrong ........ I love the CTT. However if I could get Porsche to pay for the oil, then why not.

Look what a little bitching got me already ...... a day with the Cayman S and freeeeeeeeee oil any time I want to drop by the dealership.
Keep bitching and see what else you can get
Old 05-20-2008, 12:24 AM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
Keep bitching and see what else you can get
If I were a rich man,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
I wouldn't have to work hard.
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
Lord who mad the lion and the lamb,
You decreed I should be what I am.
Would it spoil some vast eternal plan?
If I were a wealthy man.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:25 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

I checked mine this morning. The consumption appears to be slowing down. 3000 miles since last service and dipstick is still reading full.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption on Turbo ?