Sponsored by:

spare tire in GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 PM
neverpa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spare tire in GTS

Just got a flat tire in the new GTS. A screw through the tread in the left rear tire. I think the TPMS saved me from damaging the wheel. As I was driving along, the beep from the display alerted me to reduced pressure in the left rear tire. I stopped the car and looked. The tire looked okay and I didn't see anything puncturing the tire. I drove a few miles and stopped at a rest area. Then I saw the screw sticking out of the tread. So, with 1000 miles on the GTS, I took out the jack and installed the spare tire. The suspension compressor was very nice to inflate the tire spare. I drove 150 miles with the "collapsible" spare tire installed. I took the tire to a repair shop where they patched it so I don't have to drive on the spare. I realize the tire will no longer be speed rated (according to the tire manufacturer). So, I reinstalled the OEM wheel with the repaired tire. I then let the air out of the collapsible tire and let it sit in the garage overnight with the valve stem removed. Now it will fit back in the tire well with much effort, but I can't bolt it back in because it is still larger than it was before I inflated it. Anyone have any experience with these things? I guess if I could suck the air out of the spare it would fit, but I don't think that should be necessary.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

I've never had to use my spare... it sits in the back un-inflated.

I'll be curious to hear how it goes getting it back in.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2008, 01:19 PM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Be glad your GTS came with a spare. On the ’04 models it was an option. Some people have even traded their Cayenne when their dealer incorrectly told them a spare couldn’t be retro fitted in an ’04.

2. I’ve inflated (but not installed or driven on my spare), deflated it and had it fit back in the spare well without a problem.

3. You need to leave the spare out if you can’t bolt it down. You do not want something that size and weight in bouncing in an accident. I have seen what loose tires/wheels to people and if they live it’s not pretty even after multiple surgeries.

The real crime here is that Porsche didn’t design spare storage space that a full size tire could fit into.

What did you do with your regular wheel while you were driving on the spare?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:01 AM
Cannoli
Instructor

I've used my collapsible spare once. The tire will fit back into the storage well, you just need to get the air out of it. You need to remove the innards of the valve stem. Re-install the innards once the tire/wheel is in the well.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:35 PM
neverpa
Intermediate

I did remove the valve core. Now the spare fits in the well, but I can't seem to get it situated correctly so that I can reinstall the bolt that is supposed to hold it down in the spare tire well.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Cannoli
Instructor

Here's a picture of the collapsible spare tire in the well. Note that the tire valve is in-line with the hold down bracket. Place the spare tire in this configuration. It WILL work, just exercise patience.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2008, 05:32 PM
neverpa
Intermediate

Thanks for the photo and the advice. At this point, I can just start the threads on the hold down bolt, but they (the threads) will cross if I continue. I can see that it will work if I just shift the tire forward slightly but so far I have not been able to do that. I realize that this is getting a little silly, but I sure do appreciate the help.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:08 PM
neverpa
Intermediate

Okay, got it back to size. I guess when the manual says it will take a few hours to return to its original size, they might mean it could take longer. So, the spare is back in its place and bolted down.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:22 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neverpa
Okay, got it back to size. I guess when the manual says it will take a few hours to return to its original size, they might mean it could take longer. So, the spare is back in its place and bolted down.
FYI - my tire completely exploded this fall at 75-80mph, and I drove across 4 lanes of traffic to the shoulder and my wheel never got touched. Obvoulsy my air compressor and "goop" were worthless, but it was still amazing that the wheel never touched pavement.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Cannoli
Instructor

Wait a minute ... which tire exploded - the spare or regular tire?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 PM
neverpa
Intermediate

Interesting to me was that the TPMS was the only indication of a tire problem in this situation. A leak that was enough to drop the pressure by ~7 PSI was enough to cause the TPMS to "warn" me. This certainly could have saved my wheel because there was no much of a visual change in the tire even at -7 PSI (from 47 or so). I was glad I had a spare to drive on and not just some sealant. Makes we worry for what will happen if I flat while driving my GT3. I guess the TPMS is worth something at least to me for this type of driving. It appears to have functioned well. The 21s don't leave much sidewall to protect the wheel in the event of a tire failure.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The owners manual speaks about a bottle of tire sealant being included in the spare tire kit. My '09 GTS has no such bottle but only the hose and pressure gauge to fill either the slow-leak flat or collapsible spare tire with air via the onboard air compressor. Is it safe to ***-ume that since I have the air hose and pressure gauge, the sealant does not apply in my case or are you supplied with both from the factory?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

my 08 gts has no sealant bottle either.
I ***-umed the sealant was for vehicles without the air compressor?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ive had about 10 flats and used the spare tire that much, the first time it took a day to collapse down and then for me to figure out getting it in just right.

I pulled up to Mi Cocina in Dallas, got a great front row spot and stepped out to a hiss...........I had the car jacked up, tire off manually and inflated the spare in enough time to arrive inside with the rest of my party as they got their initial drink order.

I dont race my 6er......so the patches dont bother me.......and no i dont have 10 patches maybe 2 in current set of tires........

Got out of builder business, obviously, and cant wait to order my fresh set of pristine winter tires in a month or so after my 100k service is done.]]
Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by k722070
my 08 gts has no sealant bottle either.
I ***-umed the sealant was for vehicles without the air compressor?
Good ***-umption! I concur!

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Got out of builder business, obviously, and cant wait to order my fresh set of pristine winter tires in a month or so after my 100k service is done.]]
Same here. Damn construction sites always sporting a nasty nail or two that finds it way into your rubber...

Quick Reply: spare tire in GTS