Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav DVD (PCM update too) price

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:58 PM
vyper340
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know how the NEW update process works and what version actually shows up with the new part number please. THX
Old 06-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vyper340
Let us know how the NEW update process works and what version actually shows up with the new part number please. THX
Will do. Sunset had UPS pick up the old update today, returned on their dime. I really wish I could remember how I came up with that p/n in the initial post since when I initially called Sunset I gave them the p/n listed on Porsche's web site.

FWIW, the guy I talked to initially was not one of the regular guys I've talked to in the past and is not listed on the web site under Porsche parts personnel (I will not name names so don't ask). So, I learned a lesson here too. I talked to Bob this last time, he indicated the new updated DVD was in the So. Cal. warehouse so it shouldn't be to long getting here.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Bill (and other interested parties),
I spoke with Sunset; they qouted $315. I then spoke with Nashville Jag/Porsche /Audi They qouted $229+ 1hr. labor to install. I ordered from Nashville. They looked it up and said it should work in all '05s with DVD nav. My only hesitation is that the service mgr. thinks the PCM and Nav update both come under one part number which conflicts with what Sunset told you. I'll see what comes in and let everyone know.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche 25th
I spoke with Sunset; they qouted $315. I then spoke with Nashville Jag/Porsche /Audi They qouted $229+ 1hr. labor to install. I ordered from Nashville. They looked it up and said it should work in all '05s with DVD nav. My only hesitation is that the service mgr. thinks the PCM and Nav update both come under one part number which conflicts with what Sunset told you. I'll see what comes in and let everyone know.
uh, no.
The update DOES come with the PCM update but it has a insert that says the PCM update should only be done by a dealer, and that info is also in the TSB.
Unless Sunset has really screwed this up the update should be $226. I will not work with the first guy I dealt with again, it has been a screwed up transaction from the beginning.
We'll see what my invoice says when I get the correct part in.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche 25th
Porsche, just to be clear, if I had known then that Porsche of Nashville would only charge $229 and 1 hr. labor for the PCM update I would not have hesitated letting them do it for that. That is a VERY reasonable charge for that service IMHO.

Unfortunately, if you look back at my original post you'll see the service guy at PofN that I talked to (not Todd) told me I could get the update much cheaper from other sources than I could get it from them.

So, it seems the two of us are getting different answers to our similar (?) questions from both sources????
Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

We are definitely getting conflicting stories. I'll be very interested to see what actually shows up based on my order with PoN. Are the part #'s in post 14 above correct to the best of your knowledge? I'll look for you at the PCA meeting tomorrow night.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

The saga continues.....I got a call from Sunset (where I have the order for the LATEST update) yesterday afternoon, seems the new update has had a price increase. The new price is around the $315 quote Porsche 25th got (just wish they had told me this last week when they told him).

P25th, I'd be willing to bet you're either going to get the old (o8/2005) update or find the 08/2007 update is actually $315+ from PofN.

I DO hope Porsche is reading this, maybe they'll understand our position when we get frustrated when they respond to our inquiries with "consult your local dealer". Where do we go to get a straight, accurate answer, preferably the first time? The Nav system update shouldn't be this complex!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:37 PM
bmodanlou
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Got the new CD's/DVD's (from SunCoast Porsche), reviewed the recent TSB from RennTech and confirmed I have software version B (its a 2007 997 TT)... but when I insert Disc 1 of the update into the dash CD slot I get something like "Invalid Update Disc" after a few seconds... anyone know what I might be doing wrong in the process? I've tried repeatedly and still get same error... stuck!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Default Correct (I think) update has arrived

UPS has just delivered the PCM/NAV CD/DVD from Sunset. yea!
** P/N on the box is 955.044.902.61, this has all (3) discs below **

Included in the pkg. are:

(1) PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD Cayenne
08.2007 - 000.043.205.47.002

(1) PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD Navigation MY08 (?) (I don't think I use this on my '06)
08.2007 - 000.044.901.40

(1) PCM 2.1 DVD-Navigation America (w/ DVD label)
08.2007 - 997.044.901.51 & 955.044.902.61 & T1000-12701

Plan to get these installed this evening, I have the TSB's printed, battery charger ready and all set to go (I hope).

Last edited by Slow Guy; 06-22-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Well, my part came in. I had them do the install, along with a few other minor things like clear side markers. I picked it up last PM, in a hurry to get to a meeting. When I finally get home, I eject the disc and see 08/2005.....WTF!?!? I'm am going back today to sort things out. Stay tuned for the next chapter of Navigation Confusion!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Post The saga continues...

OK next chapter: I just spent 30min. at the PoN computer with the service mgr. and the parts mgr. Apparently, there were two internal mailers/bulletins to Porsche SMs and PMs. The 1st posted on 5/27 and the second on 6/6. However, PCNA didn't tell their guys there was a new mailer and that it superseded the previous one. We all learned something. Thanks Bill for the correct part numbers. It made it a lot easier to figure out. So...I think I now have the correct discs on the way. I saw a $299 in the bulletin which is $70 more than I have paid. I'll see if I can get some consideration for my inconvenience.

BTW, when I put my CS in on Monday , 4 out of the 5 bays in the service area had Cayennes in them. Not sure if that's funny or sad

There was also a brand new black GT 3 awaiting prep. I asked if it was going to be a local car and they said it was going to Canada! damn Canucks snapping up all the good cars
Old 06-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Sorry P, I think I told you at the meeting I thought that's what you would be getting. Glad they're making it right.

After your post I updated my post # 24 with the correct p/n (it's mentioned earlier but I thought I'd mention it again).
Old 06-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

You were absolutely correct on that one. Have you attempted your own install yet? How'd it go?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:12 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the truck in this week for some issues to fix. The dealer ended up putting the new PCM/DVD in. Just on the drive home, I noticed that the mapping display is different. What else are the changes? thanks
Old 06-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Well, when I went to install my PCM and Nav update I knew my PCM was at the rev level "B", which per the TSB is the required min. rev. level for the newest Nav update. The TSB also says if you're at that "B" level to go straight to sect. 4, the Nav. update portion. I wanted to see if the PCM update would bring my system up to the "C" or "C1" levels so I started from the beginning with the PCM update. Unfortunately I misread one of the first steps in Sect. 4 where I was supposed to insert the PCM Update CD into the Nav DVD unit and instead inserted the Nav DVD into the Nav DVD I don't believe I screwed up the PCM or the Nav unit, I think the Nav update is still functional but I've defeated any attempt at getting may PCM updated.

This was on Wed. (I think). I just stopped when I realized my error and have been too busy to get back on it, the Pepper has been sitting in the garage anyhow so it's been no big deal. I plan to try again this w/e and this time follow the steps correctly.

Realize folks, even if you're only updating the Nav system (not PCM) you still have to install the PCM CD in the Nav DVD unit as the first step of the process (read the TSB, step 4).

I'm typing this from memory, all paperwork is outside in the Pepper so don't take this for the actual process, get the TSB and follow the steps outlined in the TSB. There are NO instructions with the PCM/Nav Update, it is intended to be completed by the dealer ONLY. So if you don't have the TSB in your hands I wouldn't attempt this at home.

Even with the TSB I still screwed up.....

Last edited by Slow Guy; 06-21-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Nav DVD (PCM update too) price