Rain-sensing wipers sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
jeremy77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain-sensing wipers sensitivity

Howdy folks,

I’m having some problem reducing the sensitivity level on the rain-sensing wipers. I've turned mine to the lowest sensitivity setting already, but they’re still too wipe-happy. I noticed that during the first few wipes, they're appropriately intermittent. But after 10 seconds or so, they act as if I set them to “low” setting. And as I speed up, often they act as if I set them to the highest setting, even though it's barely a drizzle out there... Part of the problem is, I've been applying Rain-X on a regular basis; therefore, would not need that much wiping. In fact, I think that those unnecessary wipings decrease the longetivity of the Rain-X itself.

Do any of the creative minds of the members of this forum have an inventive idea to solve this dilemma? A wise man once told me that everything can be fixed using these 2 things: duct tape and WD40. I think duct tape is *almost* applicable as a solution in this case.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:14 PM
ventuje
Intermediate

I have not had an issue with mine. I have heard that "rain-x" type producs should not be applied over the sensor area. The sensor needs to see rain "sheeting" to properly adjust the speed and frequency of the wiper schedule. Also, if you've had your windsheild replaced, the correct glue MUST be used for the sensor to "see" water properly. So, try to remove the Rain-x or Aquapel from around the sensor area and see what happens.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ventuje
I have not had an issue with mine. I have heard that "rain-x" type producs should not be applied over the sensor area. The sensor needs to see rain "sheeting" to properly adjust the speed and frequency of the wiper schedule. Also, if you've had your windsheild replaced, the correct glue MUST be used for the sensor to "see" water properly. So, try to remove the Rain-x or Aquapel from around the sensor area and see what happens.
OK, that may be my problem. Where is/are the rain sensors?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rear view mirror?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM
charlieXS
Pro

My wife's Lexus doesn't have this problem... my Cayenne wipers suck too. Maybe it's just a poor design?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieXS
... my Cayenne wipers suck too. Maybe it's just a poor design?
How dare you even think something like that......
Poor design? In the ultimate SUV?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I always got a good laugh out of it during freezing rain spells... when the wipers are nice and cold... they don't move for a good long while, and then.... SSCCCRREEEEEEEECCCCCHHH!

It's fun to watch your passenger jump.

I guess the other reason they are jumping could be because I have to lean my head over to the passengers' side to look out the windshield, because of the big "un-wiped" area right in front of the driver's face on my side...

It's funny either way...
Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 PM
neverpa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem with my Toyota. I switched to silicone wipers and the wiper chatter went away. Anyone try silicone wiper inserts?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:46 AM
jeremy77
Intermediate

Thanks for the "chatter" folks. I'd try wiping off some of the Rain-X off of the sensor.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

Yeah my rain sensor is the same way - it totally sucks and does whatever it wants - speeds up at the wrong time, slows down at the wrong time yatta yatta yatta....

Also the manual states to turn on the rain sensing feature after turning off the car (if left in that position) to either turn the wipers off and back to rain sensing position OR to change the sensitivity - the latter does not work on mine.

Could a windshield with a million chips in it cause an issue like the rain-X?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

the windshield wiper sensor sucks in both my current CTT and ex-CS. I even had the sensor in my ex-CS changed once during warranty but it still sucked. Nothing can be done to fix this problem.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

The sensor actually works pretty well for me... my problem with the wipers is more the blades and the inability to clear the windshield effectively.

FWIW, the sensor in my Saab behaved the same way as the one in the Cayenne. Not perfect, but it works OK.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 PM
ventuje
Intermediate

jeremy77, You'll need to do a thorough cleaning where the sensor is (usually where the rear-view mirror is located). The sensor is inside the car, it sends infrared light at an angle to the windshield, the less light reflected back to the sensor, the system figures more rain on the windshield. So anything coatings on the glass (rain-x or aquapel) or even on the inside of the windshield where the sensor is could be a problem if the windshield was replaced and the wrong glue was used. Try to clean up your glass and make sure the sensor is not loose as well.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ventuje
jeremy77, You'll need to do a thorough cleaning where the sensor is (usually where the rear-view mirror is located). The sensor is inside the car, it sends infrared light at an angle to the windshield, the less light reflected back to the sensor, the system figures more rain on the windshield. So anything coatings on the glass (rain-x or aquapel) or even on the inside of the windshield where the sensor is could be a problem if the windshield was replaced and the wrong glue was used. Try to clean up your glass and make sure the sensor is not loose as well.
OK, this explains it much better. I saw the (what looked like) an optical device on the back of the rear view mirror but thought that was associated with one of the lighting features.

I did put a good coat of RainX on the windshield a couple of weeks ago, I'll get that off and re-apply but avoid getting it on the area around the sensor.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:31 AM
thklinge
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah, the automatic wipers SUCK in the 996. My previous car had an aftermarket Hella-kit installed and it was like telepathy, it wiped a few milliseconds before I needed them to, it was cunning. I wasn't used to them at first so I kept reaching for the stalk, and the wipers would run just as got to them, it was almost scary. So the wipers in the 996 is a let-down. Any upgrade or other solution to get them better would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Rain-sensing wipers sensitivity