Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain-sensing wipers sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Funny thread this - over on renntech, I started a very similar thread this AM.. but the responses were a lot different: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...per-operation/

I asked:

Originally Posted by me at Renntech:
I guess I'm used to BMW's auto-rain-sensing wipers.. the Cayenne one seems to work quite differently. On the BMW - if it's set for rain-sensing (1) it actually seems to sense when there are rain drops falling. The Cayenne one just sits there wiping away even when there is just a very light mist - without any intermittent operation. (2) the BMW one goes into a very slow intermittent mode when the vehicle is stopped - like at a traffic light. I don't see this happening on the Cayenne (the BMW one also goes into a slow-timed intermittent mode when stopped even if in the manual slow wiper mode.) (3) When the Cayenne wiper is busily wiping away - even with nothing to wipe - I found if I click it down to OFF - and then back to intermittent - it seems to go into a semi-timed mode, related somewhat to the time I had it in the off position. BMW used to have a wiper control that worked this way - non-rain sensing. (4) BMW when it senses torrential rain automatically switches to high-speed wiper operation. I experienced that sort of Biblical rain today - but the Cayenne wiper stayed in slow-speed operation.

Is there something I'm missing or did Porsche just not quite get it right on rain-sensing wiper operation? I've read the manual, and it sounds as if it should work the way I'd expect, but it just doesn't. Something must be amiss (not a-mist.. bad pun intended..) Is there a calibration setting for the rain sensor? (There is on my BMWs - done with the dealer level tools.)

Not dumping on Porsche - just really puzzled how two German cars can have such similar systems that appear to work completely differently.
The replies over there were that mine was misbehaving - and needed attention. It's nice to hear I'm not alone with this..
Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As odd as it may seem, the rain sensing wipers on my '09 work flawlessly. It took some time to get used to their intended delay operation when slowing or stopping however, the adjustable frequency lever built into the wiper stalk usually fine-tunes the system to your specific preferences.

Also, I don't use any windshield coatings on my Cayenne due to past experiences with Aquapel or Rain-X and that famous sound of "an elephant dragging his a$$ over the windshield" (Thanks Lewis).

Quick Reply: Rain-sensing wipers sensitivity