Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:11 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man. I am happy for you and your family.

Who cares about the car! It is just a dumb hunk of metal and plastic, and it did its job!

Just an excuse to decide what you're going to get next. That is usually a GOOD thing.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 PM
AndreCT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you are all OK. Here we have a statewide ban on hand held cell phones while driving but you would never know it from the amount of people who either just don't care or JUST DON'T CARE.. I boils my blood because I have been hit twice (not in the Porsche thank goodness) by drivers on their cell.

I hope the insurance takes care of you too. Good luck deciding on your next purchase - sure to be fun looking around.. there is a large choice available out there.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:12 PM
sigs
Racer

So glad that you and yours are okay. Admire your healthy attitude about what surely has to be a major headache for you, but just walking away from something like that tends to put things in perspective, I guess. Had a similar experience with a JGC broadsiding my old 300ZXTT as I was turning on the arrow. As expected, your Cayenne fared much better than my Z, but it was incredible to see the damage to the JGC. The other driver was bloodied by her airbag and could barely walk, but still had a death-grip (pun-intended) on her cell phone. Let us know what you buy for a replacement.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:33 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The insurer for the at fault driver was State Farm. They agreed to total the vehicle yesterday. They used the NADA Retail Book for valuation and valued my 2004 Cayenne S 62K miles at $38,375. I am picking up the check today from the local claims office. At least that is one good result of this incident, but certainly not a recommended way to trade in a vehicle!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:39 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Smile Replacement?

Originally Posted by sigs
So glad that you and yours are okay. Admire your healthy attitude about what surely has to be a major headache for you, but just walking away from something like that tends to put things in perspective, I guess. Had a similar experience with a JGC broadsiding my old 300ZXTT as I was turning on the arrow. As expected, your Cayenne fared much better than my Z, but it was incredible to see the damage to the JGC. The other driver was bloodied by her airbag and could barely walk, but still had a death-grip (pun-intended) on her cell phone. Let us know what you buy for a replacement.
I have driven a 2008 Cayenne S with the same features as the old one. it is much improved and many things remain the same. It has been at the dealership for some time with 500 miles so I am hoping I can get at or just under invoice. Meteor Grey with Grey two tone interior. I am even a bigger fan of this car after the accident. I know I can get a Chevy Tahoe with everything for maybe $40,000, but the Cayenne S is just more fun to drive. Thanks for everyones comments and interest.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
The insurer for the at fault driver was State Farm. They agreed to total the vehicle yesterday. They used the NADA Retail Book for valuation and valued my 2004 Cayenne S 62K miles at $38,375. I am picking up the check today from the local claims office. At least that is one good result of this incident, but certainly not a recommended way to trade in a vehicle!
As someone who was just in the market it sounds like you got a good deal (not great but definitely good for you). And it is far better than you would have gotten on a trade in. I have State Farm so I'm glad to hear they're treating you fairly.

Best of luck on the search for the replacement. Hope you and the family continue to suffer no ill effects from the incident.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Glad you & the family are fine. Sadly, it appears our national passtime IS talking & driving at the same time. If you add the inexperience of a younger driver it only increases the potential risk. My wife had a similar issue with a teenager running into her car while on the phone; & running a red light. I for one am looking forward to hands-free or other requirements nationwide.
From what I have read the act of talking is the issue not the use of a hand held cell phone.
Looks like the Cayenne took the hit well. Happy to hear there were no significant injuries.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Replacement 2006 Cayenne S

I just took delivery on a replacement for my totaled 04 Cayenne S. This is the picture of a 2006 Cayenne S 51K miles. This is a CPO w/ 2 YR 100K mile warranty and better optined than my 04. It even has SAT XM Porsche module. With taxes, tags, and everything, the total out the door was $39,700! Certainly this is not the recommended method of trading a vehicle, but I thought others would be happy to know the final result concerning the physical damage portion of this claim.

Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

At first I didn't think it was such a great deal then I re-read your post and saw your price was with tax/tag and out the door, that's pretty darn good.

Overall (and I'm no Bruce Anderson) I think you did very well, for very little out of pocket you got a 2 year newer vehicle w/ 11k fewer miles, 2 yrs. of warranty and more options. As you say not the recommended way to upgrade your car but congratulations. Hope the family is still ok.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:59 PM
sigs
Racer

+1.

Hope you drive this one for years and trade it in without a scratch.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 AM
dustybottoms
Track Day

Everything else we love or hate about the Cayenne pales when compared to something like this.

Personal safety is the most important feature.

People are crazy out there. I just got back from a short trip to Reno NV (300 miles) and had two very close calls caused by nit-wits...

I'm glad your family was protected.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:08 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default 06 Cayenne

Originally Posted by 993BillW
At first I didn't think it was such a great deal then I re-read your post and saw your price was with tax/tag and out the door, that's pretty darn good.

Overall (and I'm no Bruce Anderson) I think you did very well, for very little out of pocket you got a 2 year newer vehicle w/ 11k fewer miles, 2 yrs. of warranty and more options. As you say not the recommended way to upgrade your car but congratulations. Hope the family is still ok.
The PCO, according to the dealer, had a cost of $2200 by itself. Titling tax in VA is 3%. And I have to admit this is the first time I have had XM Radio. It's very good especially when it is programmed into the existing radio unit.

Thanks for your comments everyone. The Rennlist community is very supportive, and yes it appears evryone is OK two weeks now after the event.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Our vehicle sales tax in TN is around 8% depending on county.

Of course we don't have an income tax...

I just got word yesterday my wife hit something on the 615 (?) around Dallas that blew out her LF tire. She managed to get the car off the freeway and called Sewall Lexus who sent a tech out to change her tire and took the car back to the dealer. Now they say they need to get the body shop and State Farm involved.

My wive does not handle things like this very well so I'm trying to keep her calm and get everybody that needs to be involved. She is thoroughly pleased with the folks at Sewall Lexus in Dallas though.

Sorry for the hijack of your thread.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:35 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Alex - Just saw this thread ... glad everyone is ok! ... and you've already got a new vehicle to tow your rig. See you at the next VIR
Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Glad everything worked out and would agree you did come out very good. In Europe you can not talk on your cell phone while driving and wish the good old USA would do the same. I think we could learn something from Europe .... In Germany you can drink at 16 but not drive till 18, you can not talk on cell phones while driving with up to 300 Euro fine, required drivers school and graduation, much higher level of annual safety inspections, loss of drivers license if caught with any alcohol in your system between 18-21 years of age and overall most Europeans (minus most of Eastern Europe ant the Dutch) are better drivers.

Quick Reply: Totaled Cayenne S