Sponsored by:

Faulty Steering code

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Ben Tan
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RT_955TT_KY
You read correctly. Lock has been removed from column, not operating and no kessy or starting issues for over a week now. I hope to be able to probe around in the next week or so and document the results.
Hi RT_955TT_KY et al,

My car developed similar symptoms about 3 weeks ago. Pop by the office for an hour came out, turned the dummy key and the car had no reaction. Just the Porsche Logo on the cluster display. It didn't show any Steering Faulty error. Went through Google. Saw this thread as well as a whole bunch of others including VW forums.

Was quite certain it was the steering lock issue. Ordered the v23086-c1001-x008 relays off AliExpress as Tyco refuses to provide information quoting that the X variant of these relays are restricted sales. Replaced the relays on the board with the new relays. Had to use a magnifying glass to see but I think I soldered them back on close to OEM quality. By the way, the magnetic transparent part of the hall sensor was still in perfect condition as well as the sensor on the the PCB.

Today, I manage to get a workshop to come over with the PIWIS II tool. Somehow the brake pedal 30 secs and/or the hazard lights trick didn't wake any modules. We had to short the relay 433 under the passenger seat (RHD) to have the modules awaken. Long story short, cleared the steering faulty in Kessy. Tried to start the car, the steering lock actuator would unlock, and then lock the car throwing (a now new to me) steering lock error on the cluster. Cleared the code and the same thing happened again. Could I have killed the Steering lock when I soldered on the relays?

Anyway, I proceeded to dismantle the steering lock again leaving just the PCB board connected to the wiring harness. Tried starting the car, could hear the relays clicking back and forth (as they were trying to rotate the motor forward and backwards) and then the display cluster showed me the message "Move the steering" but no faults in the kessy. The car could still not be started. If I slide the transparent stick with the different polarity magnets manually into the hall sensor, it will throw the "steering lock" message.

I am now absolutely confused. I'm hoping I can short a a few things to have kessy happy and not have any steering lock. Most importantly have the car being able to start. Have you managed to further your findings?
The following users liked this post:
Sid Rao (05-01-2022)
Old 11-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Peter Hunt
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@VulcanGrey- you may be able to get around this, at least temporarily, by disconnecting the 3-wire connector to the locking mechanism, and reconnecting it. I had this problem and that worked for me on my 04 Cayenne S (3 times, I don't think it was a fluke). Here's how you do it:

Step 0: Make sure the battery is fully charged. If in doubt, put it on a charger overnight before attempting this procedure. With the battery fully charged:

1. Take the panel above the pedals / below the steering wheel loose, and reach up to the column. The connector is on the left side of the column (US Car, Left Hand Drive) about halfway down it. It is a flat connector and has 3 wires going into it.

2. There's a pinch lock on the back of the connector- squeeze the 2 sides of the connector together at the back (towards the firewall) and pull towards the firewall to disconnect.

3. Wait a couple of seconds, and plug it back in again.

4. Then try your key again

If you are lucky (like I was) you'll hear the column unlock when you put the key in, and the Steering Faulty message will go away. This procedure worked for me, whether it will work for anyone else is anybody's guess, so your mileage may vary.

Conjecture: From what i've read, this fault can occur when the battery is low, like if the car has not been driven for a while. In my case, I was doing some restoration / repair work and the car was off the road for quite a while. I'm guessing here, but if the mechanism is worn and the current from the battery is low, the lock doesn't fully engage or disengage, leaving it "hung" and triggering the error. With a full battery and after resetting the lock mechanism by disconnecting / reconnecting the cable, the error was cleared (for me).

Now I'm driving it regularly the problem has not reoccurred.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:12 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Hunt
@VulcanGrey- you may be able to get around this, at least temporarily, by disconnecting the 3-wire connector to the locking mechanism, and reconnecting it. I had this problem and that worked for me on my 04 Cayenne S (3 times, I don't think it was a fluke). Here's how you do it:
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.
I did try that last night, removed connector, also tried removing the fuse 41 "Kessy control unit (steering column lock, ignition lock,
Porsche Entry & Drive, clutch switch)".

I can hear the steering lock motor make noise only after removing the fuse and putting it back in, but the steering is still locked and the screen says "Steering Faulty.
I have a new battery (10/17) in there (same as the original lead acid, and 900CCA).

I'm gonna have to put it on wheel dollies to get it aligned for a flatbed to pick it up... and I'll unlock the transmission and put it in neutral.

I've ordered a Durametric.

And I'm reading the shop manual about removing the steering column. It says you have to rotate the wheel 90deg to remove the airbag... but I can't! The steering is locked! Not sure how all these people with this issue are removing the column to repair the circuit board?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:00 AM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I sold my CTT and moved over to the 996 world before I did much more additional testing unfortunately. I do have a few locks sitting around that I plan to experiment with one of these days.

Vulcan - once you get your Durametric, you may luck out as I did and be able to clear the 288 fault and get the column to unlock and work for several weeks at a time. I actually kept my Surface tablet in the car and would clear the code with Durametric whenever it popped up for almost a year, until I was able to "bypass/repair" the lock. If you can get it unlocked after a reset (you may have to clear the code and insert/remove key several times before you get the unlock), there is no need to pull the column.

Good luck.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:35 AM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Thanks.

I was able to figure out that it was not locking, so I was able to move it onto a flat bed after unlocking the transmission manually. just rolled it up and onto the flatbed, without dragging.
It's back home now, and the Durametric should be here Monday.

Last edited by VulcanGrey; 11-10-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:57 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Used the Durametric Enthusiast version to read and reset the faults. Was able to start the car. The steering lock also locks and unlocks now. Haven't driven it yet to reset the steering angle sensor fault. Will do that later. I do want to look at the wires under the drivers seat carpet and clean up any corrosion.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:37 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Just to wrap up my reply to this thread.

I was able to get my codes reset, and I think I found the source of my problem.
See my reply here for how I, and others, repaired the corroded wiring under the driver's carpet, which is part of what was causing the battery drain and the weird faulty codes.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post14617228

Last edited by VulcanGrey; 11-20-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:31 PM
ringnalda
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my Cayenne the other day and upon switching the ignition off I saw the Steering Faulty error message. Turned the car into a paperweight. What a mess! Today removed the lock, kessy unit and will send to Tom at Speedometer solutions tomorrow. He can fix the kessy faults (if any) for (I believe) around $100 and the lock faults for $359, and because he is using original parts, no re-coding should be necessary. Hopefully when I get all this back, I can reset the code with the Durametric and be on my way again; how long for is anyone's guess... At least this is an option that doesn't require a new steering column. I managed to get the lock off without having to remove the steering column, but that was because I was lucky and the lock never engaged. There is a torx screw that connects the lock to the actuator and if you can get to the torx, the removal process is hugely simplified. Tom has instructions to get this lock off either way though.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

@ringnalda

Did you try clearing the codes with the Durametric first? in my case I didn't have to remove my steering lock module or the KESSY, all I had to do was reset the codes with Durametric and clean up the wiring (and a new battery).
Old 12-24-2017, 05:05 PM
ringnalda
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VulcanGrey
@ringnalda

Did you try clearing the codes with the Durametric first? in my case I didn't have to remove my steering lock module or the KESSY, all I had to do was reset the codes with Durametric and clean up the wiring (and a new battery).
If you got your system working this way, I would recommend you remove all of the components (steering lock, kessy module and key) and send them to Tom. You can remove the steering lock much more easily if you can leave it unlocked, which makes this a 30 minute job. Leave everything connected until you get to the last torx bolt on the steering lock, which attaches the operating plunger to the lock. With the key inserted, the lock unlocked, unplug the steering lock and remove the key. Disconnect the battery before removing the rest of the components. You can then remove the final torx on the steering lock. The steering lock board suffers from poorly designed relays, dry solder joints and other issues, which Tom all checks and repairs where necessary. If you did nothing else than re-set the error and replace the battery, I can almost guarantee you this fault will return, and it never happens at a good time...!

My local Indy is very capable and has PIWIS. He said could not establish any communications (and yes I told him about the 30 sec brake pedal trick) Anyway all parts sent to Tom and he turned them around in 3 days. Kessy module fault had been cleared, it was a case of simple reassembly, re-install steering lock and kessy, plug all of the connections back in, re-connect battery and plug and play. All works and no problems with steering faulty; Tom guarantees his repair for 2 years. Because the lock had not activated, the torx screw was accessible so I could remove the steering lock without even removing the steering wheel. All in all with towing charges I am out of this mess with change out of $500.

Hope this helps some of you with this fault.
The following users liked this post:
Sid Rao (05-01-2022)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:57 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

@ringnalda
You might be right, I actually had ordered and received the relays for the steering lock circuit board. So far my issue seems to be totally related to some stray signals from that wiring corrosion and moisture. I've been driving it in ~20degree weather with a lot of snow, and so far so good. If I get a whiff of other symptoms, I'll probably pull out that steering lock circuit, replace the relays, and re-do any solder joints.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to

Do you have the 30 min how to

QUOTE=ringnalda;14690162]If you got your system working this way, I would recommend you remove all of the components (steering lock, kessy module and key) and send them to Tom. You can remove the steering lock much more easily if you can leave it unlocked, which makes this a 30 minute job. Leave everything connected until you get to the last torx bolt on the steering lock, which attaches the operating plunger to the lock. With the key inserted, the lock unlocked, unplug the steering lock and remove the key. Disconnect the battery before removing the rest of the components. You can then remove the final torx on the steering lock. The steering lock board suffers from poorly designed relays, dry solder joints and other issues, which Tom all checks and repairs where necessary. If you did nothing else than re-set the error and replace the battery, I can almost guarantee you this fault will return, and it never happens at a good time...!

My local Indy is very capable and has PIWIS. He said could not establish any communications (and yes I told him about the 30 sec brake pedal trick) Anyway all parts sent to Tom and he turned them around in 3 days. Kessy module fault had been cleared, it was a case of simple reassembly, re-install steering lock and kessy, plug all of the connections back in, re-connect battery and plug and play. All works and no problems with steering faulty; Tom guarantees his repair for 2 years. Because the lock had not activated, the torx screw was accessible so I could remove the steering lock without even removing the steering wheel. All in all with towing charges I am out of this mess with change out of $500.

Hope this helps some of you with this fault.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-14-2018, 10:58 PM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Instructions of location of Torx.

Hi can anyone send me a picture of where and how to remove the torx as indicated in the guide above thank

the torx screw was accessible so I could remove the steering lock without even removing the steering wheel. All in all with towing charges I am out of this mess with change out of $5
Old 08-20-2018, 05:13 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by ringnalda
If you got your system working this way, I would recommend you remove all of the components (steering lock, kessy module and key) and send them to Tom. You can remove the steering lock much more easily if you can leave it unlocked, which makes this a 30 minute job. Leave everything connected until you get to the last torx bolt on the steering lock, which attaches the operating plunger to the lock. With the key inserted, the lock unlocked, unplug the steering lock and remove the key. Disconnect the battery before removing the rest of the components. You can then remove the final torx on the steering lock. The steering lock board suffers from poorly designed relays, dry solder joints and other issues, which Tom all checks and repairs where necessary. If you did nothing else than re-set the error and replace the battery, I can almost guarantee you this fault will return, and it never happens at a good time...!

Hope this helps some of you with this fault.
You were right! And it was an inconvenient time for the steering lock to go faulty again! But it could have been worse!

I haven't seen the "STEERING FAULTY" error since I "fixed" it last November.

I went hiking in the mountains yesterday with the girlfriend and dog. Drove 10 miles from the nearest town, and 4 miles on a rough dirt road, hiked ~6 miles, got back to the Cayenne, and it started fine.
Drove back to the mountain town to get lunch, and the car threw the "STEERING FAULTY" error on the dash, just as I turned the engine off!
The windows were open, and it was raining just previously, could rain again. Couldn't start the car, couldn't close the windows (hand crank for the sunroof would work). My laptop was 1hr away in Denver.
Called some friends about bringing me my laptop... but then was able to borrow a laptop and download the Durametric software from a shopkeeper in the little mountain town!
Cleared the Steering Faulty code and got it running. Drove home no problem, and then it threw the steering faulty code again at home, and again at work today.

It now requires a laptop every time I start the car!

I actually bought and received the relays that are on the steering lock PCB, so I think I'll replace those, and any cold solder joints I find...
Old 08-20-2018, 05:54 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow, you can't even roll the windows up!?! Another little easter egg they threw in for more fun. I can't wait to see all the odd reasons that the more modern cars decide to completely shut down all functionality and leave people stranded when random relays and connections fail. At least as an owners group we have gone from, "learn how to pull the console apart to manually shift the transmission and tow that biotch to the dealer and cough up $4-5k to have the entire steering column replaced - don't forget the lube!" to a systematic approach for fixing it for a reasonable cost with way less hassle.

Quick Reply: Faulty Steering code