Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM
REGURU
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Experiences

I know there has been a lot of discussion about extended warranties and I have read pretty much all of the old threads regarding them, but what I have not found out is which ones have people actually used for repairs and which ones do you feel are the best. One nearby dealer pushes EasyCare and another pushes a CNA one. Please let me know who has actually used theres, for what, and would you recoomend buying it.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Well for me its easy, take the money put it in a CD, let it collect interest and roll the dice. My two experience's with aftermarket warranty weren't good. First one sold the car prior to factory warranty being up, 2nd one was on my 996 and the company went bankrupt before paying a first claim, that got denied. Oh and it was denied because I had aftermarket alarm, and therefore they wouldn't replace the motor on the convertible top! I have a great relationship with my local dealer, they are very fair, and not afraid to ask Porsche for help on known issues even after the car is out of warranty. So my $.02 is save your money and let it collect interest and just pay as you go along.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:44 PM
REGURU
Advanced

The problem is that the one I am buying is out of warranty by date not mileage. I can put the money in a CD, but may not have time to rack up any interest. It is a CS with PCM & PASM among many more options, so I could have some pretty big bills if I go naked. The car is an early 04 with no history of problems, just the usual maintence being done. Has anyone used there Extended warranty yet? For those of you naked how has it been repair wise, can you sleep at night? I'm thinking I might just take the risk as I only plan on having the car for a couple of years and the warranties are ranging 3-4k.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 AM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by REGURU
The problem is that the one I am buying is out of warranty by date not mileage. I can put the money in a CD, but may not have time to rack up any interest. It is a CS with PCM & PASM among many more options, so I could have some pretty big bills if I go naked. The car is an early 04 with no history of problems, just the usual maintence being done. Has anyone used there Extended warranty yet? For those of you naked how has it been repair wise, can you sleep at night? I'm thinking I might just take the risk as I only plan on having the car for a couple of years and the warranties are ranging 3-4k.

Is it out warranty by date? Then it is out of warranty.

You should have a warranty. I don't think that the Cayenne is a total peice of crap as do some of the non-owners that still hang out here 24/7 looking for love, but frankly, you can spend thousands of dollars on repairs in a New York Minute. If you can get another 3 years or 36k for $2-3k, I would do it.

Last edited by HD2pct; 02-05-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:42 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default it is telling..

that quite a few of the aftermarket warranty companies will no longer write a warranty (or service contract as it should be properly referred to as) for a porsche of any flavor. they were finding it impossible to make money on 3-4k contracts, which should tell you something about their payout rates. the ones left that will are either ones that haven't figured it out, or ones that will toss your claim on the engine because you didn't follow the windshield washer fluid TSB.

and for the record, i have never called the cayenne a "peice" of anything, and while my love life is just fine, there are a couple of girls on the calendar who can have my number anytime...
Old 02-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=warrantech

So far I'm OK with Warrantech. If I had the dealer that Kevin M. has I would go naked also. I don't, so I have an extended warranty.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:32 PM
REGURU
Advanced

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Is it out warranty by date? Then it is out of warranty.

You should have a warranty. I don't think that the Cayenne is a total peice of crap as do some of the non-owners that still hang out here 24/7 looking for love, but frankly, you can spend thousands of dollars on repairs in a New York Minute. If you can get another 3 years or 36k for $2-3k, I would do it.
Originally Posted by droptop
that quite a few of the aftermarket warranty companies will no longer write a warranty (or service contract as it should be properly referred to as) for a porsche of any flavor. they were finding it impossible to make money on 3-4k contracts, which should tell you something about their payout rates. the ones left that will are either ones that haven't figured it out, or ones that will toss your claim on the engine because you didn't follow the windshield washer fluid TSB.

and for the record, i have never called the cayenne a "peice" of anything, and while my love life is just fine, there are a couple of girls on the calendar who can have my number anytime...
I noticed you are from Illinois, what dealer do you reccomend I'm in the Chicagoland area?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:17 PM
bancu
Racer

The car is an early 04 with no history of problems, just the usual maintence being done.
Usual maintenance as in oil changes only? That’s not the sign of a solid Cayenne to me. If the previous owner was into what was going on with vehicle at all they should have had several if not many little issues addressed by the dealer.

As the owner of a early ’04 CT…unless the GM at the dealer will put in writing that they will cover you on all known issues I would not touch any Cayenne without having some remaining warranty from Porsche.

The issue isn’t that any Cayenne is junk to me. It is that that there are some things that are known issues that will be observed if you really use the thing. Some of these issues are ones that I only got addressed by bringing the vehicle in repeatedly. In some cases I found I had to bring it to another dealer even after a ‘good’ service department noted that the vehicle was operating as designed.

Look at the ‘if customer complains’ TSBs (some of which apply all the way up to 2006 models) since I doubt _any_ service contract is going to cover some of the items addressed.

Find an early one that has had good share of the TSBs taken care of or pay a little more for a Cayenne that is still under factory warranty.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:55 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

I tend to buy mostly used cars due to my taste/budget (could never afford them new) and I would NEVER buy a used Porsche/Audi that didn't have some warranty left on it. This gives you time to find the bugs and have them fixed under warranty along with time to research the TSB's and the info on this site. And equally important would be the price difference between purchasing an extended warranty while in factory warranty vs the price of purchasing one after it has run out.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i think

both of the above posters make very good points. if you find a low mileage 04 with nothing but oil changes, chances are it was a hangar queen. if the PO never drove it enough to hit the problems, or didn't care, they are still lurking in there for you to find.

having some warranty left gives you enough room to find out if it is going to work out without getting filleted by trouble. having four or five things fail in a row may be enough to make you want to bail, it is easier to do so without looking at shelling out 17k for a new tranny.

look, even experienced porscheophiles reach for the ejection lever when they start approaching the "naked" point. take that as the words of the master and proceed accordingly. if you have a great ride with it, fantastic.

i aways sit facing the doors when i am in public. do i expect something to happen? hasn't in the first 50 yrs. however, i don't plan on stopping good habits either...
Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed you are from Illinois, what dealer do you reccomend I'm in the Chicagoland area?
REGURU, to tell you the truth, nobody. Napleton Porsche, in Westmont, is "my dealer" but that is just for convenience sake, and I wouldn't recommend them.

I have had some minor dealings with Motorwerks of Barrington but I am not thrilled with them either.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
REGURU
Advanced

Thanks for all the responses. The situation that I am dealing with is that it is a very well optioned truck that I can get for a steal because I know the owner very well. The truck was not the dailey driver and that is why there is only 30k miles on it. My understanding is that it has had all the maintenance done and when they brought it in for maintenance they did any recalls. It is in showroom new condition (owner is a fanatic) and like I said a very good friend owns it and thus I have known the truck since it was bought new. From what I have seen, to get an 06 S with low miles and less equiptment it would cost about 15k more even when figuring the 4k for an extended warranty. Does Porsche not fix TSBs after the warranty? Would an extended warranty cover the TSBs?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:32 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is Easy Care.. have not used as of yet.. but let's be clear.. these companies have had trouble.. and even competent ones (at least on the surface, BBB rated, webassured, 10+ years in business, etc.) have gone belly-up.. so, if you decide to get an extended warranty take it from me... Jack Lord, your Hawaiian expert.. buy it through the dealer (you'll pay a little more) so IF it turns out to have been seized by some bureaucrat in a distant land and liquidated (and 3 years later still waiting on pay-out of a pittance sum AFTER legal expenses) then you can go after the dealer to either replace it or handle the ext. warranty performance through the dealership. On early Cayennes, you'd be foolish IMHO not to have one.. going naked has been proven to be a problem on cardan shafts, pipes, a/c solonoids --- they cost multiple thousands for each one..

other than that I have no strong opinion on ext. warranties-------
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
bancu
Racer

Does Porsche not fix TSBs after the warranty? Would an extended warranty cover the TSBs?
I do not believe TSBs will be done on out of warranty vehicles unless you report the issue before the warranty is up. I’m basing this view on how the TSB on the cracked coils (I’ve had mine replaced twice) is worded. If Porsche isn’t worried about an issue enough to fix it unless you force them to by complaining I don’t see how a third party warranty will cover them.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
bancu
Racer

Thanks for all the responses. The situation that I am dealing with is that it is a very well optioned truck that I can get for a steal because I know the owner very well
If you want to buy the thing go for it just realize what you _might_ be in for and don’t get sucked into what you _think_ is a good deal. Options don’t mean anything on the used market.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Experiences