Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 PM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by REGURU
My understanding is that it has had all the maintenance done and when they brought it in for maintenance they did any recalls.
If you dig into things you’ll find that there are very few recalls.

There’s a big difference between recalls and the many things that _might_ (not will) be done by a dealer “if the customer complains,” “in the event of a complaint,” “in response to the complaint,” “for existing complaints,” “complaints regarding,” or “complaint about”.

It might help you put things in perspective if you read this thread if the ’04 in question doesn’t pass the PSM off test I doubt you’re going to be happy with it down the line: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/397882-acceleration-lag-update-stealer-or-independant.html

You should also search the forums for other issues.

Finally review _all_ the TSBs on the Cayenne to get a complete picture.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:07 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by REGURU
From what I have seen, to get an 06 S with low miles and less equiptment it would cost about 15k more even when figuring the 4k for an extended warranty.
Unlike others ‘here’ I don’t think the only good Cayenne’s are ’06 and above. People that believe that seem to keep be looking for a magic bullet. They also keep on moving the target. First it was ‘buy an ‘04’. Then it was ‘buy a later ‘04’ followed by ’05 and then ‘only consider ’06 models’.

A well TSBed ’04 seems acceptable to me and that’s why I’m still driving it. Mind you it took four years, several dealers and pressing to get issues addressed. Even with that I’m sure I missed some things. If you are willing to take the vehicle into the dealer several times (to work the absurdity of the Porsche system) an ’04 or an with existing factory warranty would be even better.

I’d take the 4k you’re thinking about spending on an extended warranty and put that towards a Cayenne that has some factory warranty left.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

On a related note I'm considering an '04 w/ less than a year of factory warranty from a private party and had planned to get an extended warranty (service plan). From what I've been reading EasyCare plans can only be purchased through the dealer and from my interpretation of their website only when the vehicle is purchased (used) from the dealer. Is this correct? Are private party purchased vehicles ineligible for EasyCare coverage?
Old 02-13-2008, 03:47 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993BillW
On a related note I'm considering an '04 w/ less than a year of factory warranty from a private party and had planned to get an extended warranty (service plan). From what I've been reading EasyCare plans can only be purchased through the dealer and from my interpretation of their website only when the vehicle is purchased (used) from the dealer. Is this correct? Are private party purchased vehicles ineligible for EasyCare coverage?
No. I have been speaking with EasyCare and they will sell you a policy, but you do have to go to a participating dealer to have the car inspected. They recommend that you have at least 1 month and 5k miles remaining on your vehicle to get the best pricing. PM and I will give the contact at EasyCare and he'll find you a participating dealer.

The dealer they referred me to was a GMC/Pontiac dealer. That and the cost, over $4,500 for 4yrs/100k, have made me reconsider. If my P dealer was selling it, I would feel better because of the relationship, loyalty, etc.

Torn, as I am naked in 6500 miles or April 24 whichever comes sooner.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alsamrob
No. I have been speaking with EasyCare and they will sell you a policy, but you do have to go to a participating dealer to have the car inspected. They recommend that you have at least 1 month and 5k miles remaining on your vehicle to get the best pricing. PM and I will give the contact at EasyCare and he'll find you a participating dealer.

The dealer they referred me to was a GMC/Pontiac dealer. That and the cost, over $4,500 for 4yrs/100k, have made me reconsider. If my P dealer was selling it, I would feel better because of the relationship, loyalty, etc.

Torn, as I am naked in 6500 miles or April 24 whichever comes sooner.
OK, thanks. I think the local Porsche dealer is an EasyCare dealer but they're in the process of being sold. I don't have a relationship w/ them though as I do most of the 993 maint. myself and anything I don't do is done by a local independent. It's better than going to a GM dealer for an inspection though.

Now a $4,500 price tag is a little steep...
Old 02-13-2008, 11:21 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default um...

that's the whole point, it's not. if anything it may be low.

lets see if it's an 04 figure a
30% chance of a cardan (cardigan) shaft, failure
60% chance of 1 set of coils
40% of coolant pipes
50% of water pump
30% of PCM

so the total for one car for the 50k mile warranty would be ~3900.00. give them a 20% profit margin (really low) and you get 4680.00. give them one car with a 17k tranny failure and they are so far in the hole you can't see from here to there.

which is why many will not touch porsche's anymore on service contracts.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:35 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
... First one sold the car prior to factory warranty being up...

FYI, you can get a refund (pro-rated) for the portion you did not use. Not sure in other states, but it is a CA law. The dealerships will give you a hard time and take months but I have gotten checks back everytime. Of course they can do it by months or mileage remaining, whichever works better in their favor but still better than nothing

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Experiences