Sponsored by:

05 CS Decision: Keep or Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 12:49 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 CS Decision: Keep or Upgrade

I have an 05 CS that has been as trouble free as a Cayenne can be. It has almost 40k miles on the clock. I just got a remand motor and I am hoping this is going to keep me on the road for another 40k miles.

Here is the dilemma, my warranty is up in 6 months or so. If I keep it I am planning on getting an extended warranty from easy care for 36k miles for $3,900.00. This seems high to me. The dealer has a couple of TT's that I could step up to and they are CPO cars. The issue is they are giving me $31k for my CS. So the difference is around $30k. I also need brakes, so may end up spending $5k for warranty and brakes. This is there angle, why spend $5k on something that's going downhill in a hurry.

So what is an 05 CS going to be worth in a couple of years with say 60k miles. Are these going to be $20k cars. Should I get rid of it now. The main reason I am considering keeping the car long term is the new motor. The extended warranty would cover the drive shaft when it goes next.

I guess I am not really in the mood to spend another $30k on a Cayenne right now. But maybe it's the smart(er) way to go.

Thanks,

Last edited by jaholmes; 02-02-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorta OT, why did you need a re-mfgd motor at <40k mi?
I'm considering a '05 w/ 60k and CPO right now.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:52 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

I responded in your post. High oil use, and blowing smoke at startup. Ended up with low compression in one cylinder. That is why I said get a PPI and check the vin # against any tsb's.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How long are you planning on keeping the 'replacement' Cayenne?
I don't think you want to be asking this very same question everytime you are about to go 'naked'......

Much like a marriage, you either have to live with the pig or get away from the pig.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Maybe the question is how low will they go. Is a 05 CS going to be worth $20k in 2 to 3 years. Is an 06 TT going to be worth $40k in 2 to 3 years. At what price will they level off.

Ltc, you are right about dealing with the end of a factory warranty. I am getting tired of dealing with it.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:57 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's not a bad idea to trade up. A car with a replaced engine will be hard to sell at any price later. It's inevitable buyers will wonder how the car was treated. With so many cars available to choose from, it's hard to justify buying one with a questionable history.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jaholmes
Maybe the question is how low will they go. Is a 05 CS going to be worth $20k in 2 to 3 years. Is an 06 TT going to be worth $40k in 2 to 3 years. At what price will they level off..
Well, for a start, you can look at the depreciation curves (more like depreciation cliffs) for the Boxsters and Carreras, as they were produced in similar numbers to Cayennes.
(BTW, 911 Turbos are not immune to this effect either, a $131K MSRP garage queen 996TT is likely worth $60K)....below 993TT prices and likely never to come back up IMHO.
Next, factor in SUV resale/auction/Galves valuations.
After that, consider gas prices and fuel economy (yes, someone writing a $100K check for a new Cayenne likely doesn't care about gas, but a first time Porsche owner paying $30K likely does......marketing demographics).
Add it all up and you'll have your answer.

Ltc, you are right about dealing with the end of a factory warranty. I am getting tired of dealing with it.
Common complaint.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:35 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by racer_65
I think it's not a bad idea to trade up. A car with a replaced engine will be hard to sell at any price later. It's inevitable buyers will wonder how the car was treated. With so many cars available to choose from, it's hard to justify buying one with a questionable history.
I agree with how it may look on the surface, but it wasn't hard driving, it was **** QC from the factory. I am probably the lucky one who found it in time to get it fixed on Porsche's dime.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:38 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how LOW can they GO?????

LETS GET READY TO LIMBO!!!

oops, sorry. wrong thread. anyway, a search on autotrader reveals that there are a whole raft of CS's at the 25-32k range. that means there is no "floor" and you will probably see them in HS parking lots soon. the reason is that at 28k, you are into a "value" buyer, who isn't going to be happy with a 2k a year insurance tab, and parts that run from merely exorbitant to un-ba-livable. so the "value" buyer passes them up, and next you have up the low priced enthusiast. reality will meet fantasy in a hurry here, and i suspect the 03-04's are starting to rack up alot of owners who trade in a hurry. so the price has to go down enough that people will buy them despite their shortcomings. add in the economy and i don't think you want to know the answer to the "how low can they go" question.

OTOH, there is always russia...

were i to get on the merry-go-round again, i would be looking for a low mileage 05-06 with a CPO. run to 100k, figure on getting 30% of the purchase price out and start over again until you get tired of the ride.

of course, porsche's solution is to get rid of that nagging naked problem by selling you a new one. warranty runs out, buy new, repeat as required. simple, but expensive.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Sorry. But this:
I responded in your post. High oil use, and blowing smoke at startup. Ended up with low compression in one cylinder. That is why I said get a PPI and check the vin # against any tsb's.
told me a hell of a lot more than this did.
Get a PPI. Check the VIN against the TSB where they installed the oil scavenger rings upside down. Extended warranty is a must.
But now I know. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:10 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Sorry. But this:

told me a hell of a lot more than this did.

But now I know. Thanks.
Sorry, I have posted my issues on a few treads to try and track down what may be the problem. Just trying to point out the need for a good PPI because I am sure it would find a lot more issues.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Default Truer words were never spoken

Originally Posted by droptop
....of course, porsche's solution is to get rid of that nagging naked problem by selling you a new one. warranty runs out, buy new, repeat as required. simple, but expensive.
When Marketing took over the company and engineering took a back seat, that is what was put forth (except in a German accent).

You have described the 100K cars/years and the foundation of the CPO marketing plan.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:04 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
When Marketing took over the company and engineering took a back seat, that is what was put forth (except in a German accent).

You have described the 100K cars/years and the foundation of the CPO marketing plan.
The problem with CPO is that there is a date time bomb. I don't think I will hit the 100k mile mark before the time expires. For an 06, the CPO would expire in 3 years.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

The problem with CPO is that there is a date time bomb. I don't think I will hit the 100k mile mark before the time expires. For an 06, the CPO would expire in 3 years.
I don't think so. A CPO covered warranty for a car originally sold on 1/1/06 would expire on 1/1/12.

See CPO brochure

Top of page 4 to be exact.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I don't think so. A CPO covered warranty for a car originally sold on 1/1/06 would expire on 1/1/12.

See CPO brochure

Top of page 4 to be exact.
I suppose it depends on when the CPO "prophylactic" was put on:

Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Coverage when sold while the new vehicle warranty has not expired:

New Vehicle Warranty Coverage
(From original in-service date)
4 yrs./50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Porsche Approved Limited Warranty Coverage
(After expiration of the new vehicle warranty)
Up to 2 yrs./50,000 miles/80,000 kilometers,
whichever comes first.

(Vehicle can be covered up to 6 yrs. from the date of sale or 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers, whichever comes first)

OR

Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Coverage when sold outside the new vehicle warranty

Porsche Approved Limited Warranty Coverage
2 yrs. from the date of sale or up to 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers, whichever comes first.

Quick Reply: 05 CS Decision: Keep or Upgrade