Ice and Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:47 PM
pep
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ice and Wipers

Hi,
This is my very first post so bear with me!!
I just bought an '06 CS.. Does any one have a suggestion for keeping the ice from accumulating under the hood by the windshield and preventing the windshield wipers from moving. Having to open up the hood in the morning to clean the ice is a drag. (I know a garage would do the trick but it's not an option right now) .
Old 12-17-2007, 12:58 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by pep
Hi,
I just bought an '06 CS.. Does any one have a suggestion for keeping the ice from accumulating under the hood by the windshield and preventing the windshield wipers from moving. Having to open up the hood in the morning to clean the ice is a drag. (I know a garage would do the trick but it's not an option right now) .
Haven't had that issue, but driving home Thursday night the wipers themselves were accumulating a lot of ice. I reached out the window to clear them and the wiper came off in my hand. Drove the remaining 8 miles to the next exit looking out the passenger side. Great fun.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alsamrob
...I reached out the window to clear them and the wiper came off in my hand..
Don't do that.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:21 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never had the problem described, in the parking lot at the office i do leave the wipers up.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:45 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
Don't do that.
In retrospect, very good advice. At the time though, seemed like a good idea. But I think McNamara said that about Vietnam as well.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:45 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pep
Does any one have a suggestion for keeping the ice from accumulating under the hood by the windshield and preventing the windshield wipers from moving.
Yes.. live in a southern state... to date I have never had ice accumulate under the hood of my Beta or the Tit.S...
Old 12-17-2007, 08:38 PM
pep
Track Day

Thanks, it would be nice to live in a southern state but it is fun to drive the CS in the snow...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,581 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
Yes.. live in a southern state... to date I have never had ice accumulate under the hood of my Beta or the Tit.S...
Having lived in a southern state, I have to agree with this suggestion.

Now living in a northern state, I agree with option 2 - garage.

If that still isn't an option, then it looks like leaving the wipers up when you park is the way to go!

As for driving in the snow, it's fun in the CS, but a bit unnerving at times. I can really tell there is a RWD bias in the car. I much prefer the HUMMER for snow driving. It just plows through with confidence, while the CS provides much more "fanfare" when things get slippery. We got about a foot of snow last Saturday, which has mostly turned into a coat of ice on the side streets now. Not quite so fun anymore...
Old 12-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,581 Likes on 989 Posts

You could always try this... look how happy she is!
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2007, 01:49 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

My wipers are crap. They make so much noise in the rain and in the winter, they allow snow and ice to build up which prevents them from doing anything.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pep
Hi,
The easiest thing is to raise the wipers up off the glass (you should be seeing other cars parked in the area with their wipers poking up.)

There are two other things to do -- get winter blades, which have a rubber which doesn't tend to ice and is better at dealing with snow and ice; and, carry two strips of plastic to drop between the wiper and the windshield and fold back over the top of the windshield. Leave those plastic pieces in place over night, then it's no trouble in the morning to pull out the plastic and the wipers are clear.

I've had my car parked when it's hit zero over night and had no problem using winter blades, but I still put some plastic over the whole windshield to avoid the whole de-icing drama.

Depending upon how much you care about your paint, you should at least get it very clean and then wax it thoroughly -- this will help prevent ice from forming against the paint and help prevent lumps of thawing ice sliding down a body panel and scratching the paint. If you really want to protect the car, the next step is an outdoor car cover. Tedious work in the morning and it requires careful cleaning before placing the cover over the paint, but the reward of clean car through winter can be motivation. Snow also does a wonderful job of carrying road and holding contaminants against the paint giving chemicals time to eat through wax and damage the clear coat. By the way, even a temporary car port will keep ice from forming on the car and they can hold a foot of snow without trouble.

For me, for now, I park out in the open and just wash the car. Now that I have a driveway built, the next step will be a garage etc. Of course, just building the garage cost about the same as a GT3 RS. Gotta love building contractors. They make car sales people look like saints.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wash and Wax a Cayenne? Surely you jest.

Larry had the best winter solution:
1. Never wash/wax....EVER
2. Douse pile of snow/ice hiding the pig with any combustible fliud (race gas, napalm, etc), light match, drive away when pig fully defrosted and is cooked to 165 degF.....Simple.

On a somewhat more serious note, I was unaware of proper winter wiper blades being available for Cayennes. Is this something new?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I was unaware of proper winter wiper blades being available for Cayennes. Is this something new?
I put on something that was the right length from the Napa store in Truckee (or was it the Ace hardware store?) I just checked and couldn't find any of the on-line cattle dogs with fitment specifically for the front (just the rear) and I imagine you could go with a Touareg fitment, but I dunno.

I think any silicon/teflon blade designed not to get bogged in snow (usually a smooth angled backing surface) would suffice. I don't have my car with me, but I'm pretty sure the brand is Valeo.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:06 PM
pep
Track Day

Lightbulb

Thanks for all the great advice...

The wipers being up is not a problem, having lived in the Northeast most of my life I'm very familiar with that practice that won't stop the snow and ice from acumulating under the top part of the hood. I've never had to open up the hood on any car to get the wipers to work (big huge wipers need lots of room on the CS).

That lovely windshield cover will work, I'm going to find one and I too will be smiling!!! Thanks for that suggestion.

The whole contractor red tape has daunted me for years, biggest reason why I don't have a garage. Although now I feel really guilty leaving the CS outside in the cold.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pep
The whole contractor red tape has daunted me for years, biggest reason why I don't have a garage.
I think "red tape" is the most polite description I've ever heard. Most of the descriptions I've heard (or used) are probably illegal (and certainly wouldn't pass the filters on a forum site...)

As for "daunting" and discouraging people from building, I think there's more than a little truth to it. I'm sure I would have improved the value of my last three houses by double had I been willing to throw money at the runaway train of the building industry. I'd have a better house to sell, my neighborhood and community would have benefited and I'd be contributed higher property taxes plus the creation of local employment and local county revenues. But the building industry stands in the way of progress by, as you say, their daunting visage scaring people away.

Corruption, graft, kick-backs, conspiracy, deliberate fraud, the list of their crimes is a complete guide to contract law. And all perpetrated in broad daylight by some of the stupidest people I've ever met. I guess there's something to consider in the contradiction of that statement.

I think contractors rank down their with lawyers and greasy rag mechanics and I can't imagine they sleep easy with their consciences. I'm sure their are good, fair-minded and ethical people in the construction industry, but they're the exception and I imagine they pay a price for doing good business.

Quick Reply: Ice and Wipers