Sponsored by:

Ice and Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll post some winter pics of my Cayenne over the Christmas break.

It has the Hakkapeliitta "Sport Utility 5" in 275/40-20 and I got some of the Thule low profile diamond chains. It should be basically unstoppable. : )

http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/ch...huleXG12_l.htm

Old 12-19-2007, 01:58 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carrera Gt and Pep
Red tape is what is caused by government not contractors. Generally local land use, setback and zoning issues will cause more severe limitations than any contractor.
Most people simply do not ask the right questions when they go to hire a contractor. Barriers to entry are fairly low on the residential side so you have to be particularly diligent in hiring a contractor, especially to build you something like a garage. Appropriate experience, references, education, work force, financial stability, insurance, safety, bonding and skill set should be checked at a minimum.
Carrerra; the construction industry represents about 7% +/- of the total GDP, I would be awfully careful about making broad generalizations about as many contractors as you have above. There are many skillfull contractors that build the roads you drive on, the buildings you work, live and have fun in and do it in an innovative and productive way.
My company has over 500 of the most hard working, intelligent and just plain great people that are wonderful citizens and great contractors in their own right. We are forty years in business and build buildings for Microsoft, local hospitals, retail, housing and small works. We will do more than $500 million in business in the greater Seattle area and we are an active community supportor on many fronts. We also are active in the local association and I can assure you that the vast majority of the contractors that I am exposed to are good, hardworking and honest Americans.
If you need help or advice regarding a contractor respond back to this message and I will try to help you out.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:26 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by leek
Carrera Gt and Pep
Red tape is what is caused by government not contractors. Generally local land use, setback and zoning issues will cause more severe limitations than any contractor.
Most people simply do not ask the right questions when they go to hire a contractor. Barriers to entry are fairly low on the residential side so you have to be particularly diligent in hiring a contractor, especially to build you something like a garage. Appropriate experience, references, education, work force, financial stability, insurance, safety, bonding and skill set should be checked at a minimum.
Carrerra; the construction industry represents about 7% +/- of the total GDP, I would be awfully careful about making broad generalizations about as many contractors as you have above. There are many skillfull contractors that build the roads you drive on, the buildings you work, live and have fun in and do it in an innovative and productive way.
My company has over 500 of the most hard working, intelligent and just plain great people that are wonderful citizens and great contractors in their own right. We are forty years in business and build buildings for Microsoft, local hospitals, retail, housing and small works. We will do more than $500 million in business in the greater Seattle area and we are an active community supportor on many fronts. We also are active in the local association and I can assure you that the vast majority of the contractors that I am exposed to are good, hardworking and honest Americans.
If you need help or advice regarding a contractor respond back to this message and I will try to help you out.
The "red tape" was a euphemism, not meant in the literal sense of the phrase (if I understand correctly.) My comment was pointed at the blatant and disgustingly casual way the builders, engineers and architects I've used on recent projects (with just one or two shining exceptions) blithely over-charge and under-deliver. They bring in second rate materials, let shoddy work slip by and hire undocumented workers at the same time as complaining about California worker's comp and their high costs of business.

In any case, as I mentioned, there are surely exceptions to the general image of the construction industry. My recent projects are a tiny sampling, but talking with neighbors and friends about their projects has been quite an eye-opener for me. The consensus is all but unanimous that for the private owner (home or business) the building industry is, in a word, a scam. Even as the building industry goes into a prolonged so down, it's only changing the dollars and the level of competition, not the underlying work-ethic.

From my experience, I can see the problem someone such as you faces. I've been involved with Porsche service companies in recent years and I know the frustration and pain of being an honest businessman in a market where the customer is rightly skeptical about claims of fair and ethical business. I try to find those same sorts of people in other businesses -- anything from buying mountain bike tires to a dentist. It's always caveat emptor.

I think you're seeing the glass half full and perhaps forgetting that while you now have access to a vast majority of good talent and hard workers, those statistics are built up over time in your favor and involve leveraging the size and strength of your business. I regret being so cynical myself, but the pain of two recent building projects (which I foolishly embarked upon in parallel) leaves me seeing the glass half empty. Or less.

As for your company, I'd have to understand a lot more about it before I could understand how 500 people can generate $500M in revenue -- that's beyond even what a tech company can achieve at a peak.

I shouldn't have posted quite so far off topic, it's just been on my mind lately, so let me close off by repeating a sentence from my earlier post so that you can discard your concern about me generalizing across an industry sector or wanting to round up everyone holding a hammer and tar them with the same brush.

"I'm sure there are good, fair-minded and ethical people in the construction industry, but they're the exception and I imagine they pay a price for doing good business."
Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

It's not only builders but architects, engineers, undocumented workers and material suppliers that are the culprits...
I would submit to you that many people that try to build something don't know the right questions to ask, assume that the project is much simplier and will take less time and $ that it really will and expect to get a deal. I will repeat my offer to help if you need help hiring the correct people.
I don't often have problems in my business. We keep our promises, I have good competition and plenty of it but we make a fair profit.
My glass is not half full. 30 years of experience (including four in California) provide the basis of experience for my comments, not the admittedly tiny samping that you have.
When I came here 24 years ago we did about $40 million per year in business. Some key employees and myself built the business up with hard work and integrity.
Payroll this morning was 505 people, projected business volume is $529 mill for the year, the company is GLY construction. Check out the D and B if you choose not to believe me. I do not know how you can compare a tech company with a construction company, makes no sense to me.
I would submit again that you are incorrect about good contractors being the exception. That is simply not my experience. There are bad contractors but their are bad people in all sectors. Painting an entire industry with a broad brush is unfair and uninformed. This is off topic so if you want to e mail me please do so.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:15 PM
pep
Track Day

What I meant by "red tape and daunted" was just that there is a lot of work and time involved on my part to ensure that I find the right contractor, get all the permits etc... Like any other thing that you do "including finding a good mechanic or dealership to work with" it requires research and trial and error. Having done this in the past I'm aware of the commitment I need to have to this initiative. I have absolutely worked with some wonderful contractors and have also had some unresponsive ones in the mix. No different than any other industry.

I do appreciate all the help and suggestions from everyone on my wiper question...
Old 12-22-2007, 04:57 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Slightly back on topic: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ade%20Assembly

and I like my Blizzaks. Don't own chains.

Quick Reply: Ice and Wipers