Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:06 PM
oldphart
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration Lag update - Stealer or Independant

Hello Everyone,
Long time stalker....first time contributor
Anyway, I just bought a used 2004 CS here in Canada. I then came across this forum and found that I may be in for a couple of issues. BTW...please no responses to tell me if I made a mistake in my purchase choice....

Anyway, I have read that the software has to be updated to fix the acceleration lag. I am curious if this is a standard build that they upload or if it involves tweeking by the mechanic on power curves, etc?
Also, is this something that has to be done by the Stealer? I have a good independant mechanic....and just curious if this is something he can do or not.

Thanks
oldphart
Old 12-16-2007, 03:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does you independent have a PIWIS and a current S/W subscription?
If so, then, yes, he can flash F/W to (almost) any module in the vehicle, including the TCU and ECU.

It is not a customizeable F/W download, (tweeked by the mechanic), rather a fixed F/W image.

Now, keep in mind, the transmission F/W is still 'adaptive', so if you drive it all the time like a granny going to church on Sunday (hey, grannies are a big part of the Porsche demographic marketing strategy, right after soccer moms, but I digress....), then it will become "sluggish" or "hesitate" more than usual.

By switching PSM 'OFF' and/or driving it like you stole it, you can help mitigate this adaption to an extent.

Ciao
Old 12-16-2007, 06:19 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by oldphart
Anyway, I have read that the software has to be updated to fix the acceleration lag. I am curious if this is a standard build that they upload or if it involves tweeking by the mechanic on power curves, etc?
Can you describe the hesitation you’re experiencing? Is it hitting you around town: off the line, coming out of stopped turns, coming out of rolling turns?

Are you still under warranty?
Old 12-16-2007, 06:23 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
By switching PSM 'OFF'...
Since this is a 2004 this is a maybe thing. From my experience it will depend on which TCU and DME flash he has. If he has the early ’04 TCU that doesn’t drop into first when PSM is turned off the factory flash will do little to nothing for him. I’m basing that on the fact that a DME update alone did little to nothing for my ’04.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:57 PM
oldphart
5th Gear

Thanks everyone....
The hesitation is just a slight one when you press on the pedal. For example when a red light turns green.....I noticed it when I test drove the vehicle, and then have read about it here in the forums.
I will have to check to see what version it is at. I will also check the production date to see if it is an early or late 04.
Thanks
oldphart
BTW....don't let the nickname confuse you....I like to drive it like I stole it
Old 12-16-2007, 07:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bancu
Since this is a 2004 this is a maybe thing. From my experience it will depend on which TCU and DME flash he has. If he has the early ’04 TCU that doesn’t drop into first when PSM is turned off the factory flash will do little to nothing for him. I’m basing that on the fact that a DME update alone did little to nothing for my ’04.
Agreed.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:11 PM
bancu
Racer

The hesitation is just a slight one when you press on the pedal. For example when a red light turns green.....I noticed it when I test drove the vehicle, and then have read about it here in the forums.
Don’t worry about “checking versions”. You need to focus on the TCM first. Turn off PSM when you’re at a light. If the transmission drops from 2nd to 1st you’re one TCM ‘generation’ in the right direction. If it doesn’t drop to 1st it’s going to be a bit longer road to a fix.

If it’s off the line hesitation there are several things that could help. I fought with this for many years and don’t feel that there’s “one” fix. That’s why I asked about you being under warranty and how you were experiencing the hesitation. To get everything in place to mitigate the issue as much as possible there are complete modules that need to be replaced.

Do you have the service history on the vehicle handy? Where the spark plugs and coils replaced?

To set your expectations...if you were sensitive enough to pick the hesitation up on test drive I’m not sure you’ll ever be completely happy with your Cayenne. Most folks don’t pick it up during a test drive time or test drive a demo Cayenne that’s been thrashed about and buy another. I’ll tell you from experience that once you get it in your head it’s hard to ignore it. Even more so if you’re picking it up in town. On the plus side you’ve got a CS and not a CT. I’ve found much easier to drive a CS “hard” enough to offset the in town hesitation.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:29 PM
bancu
Racer

BTW....don't let the nickname confuse you....I like to drive it like I stole it
Have you ever had vehicle with a Porsche Tiptronic before the Cayenne?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Anyway, I just bought a used 2004 CS here in Canada. I then came across this forum and found that I may be in for a couple of issues. BTW...please no responses to tell me if I made a mistake in my purchase choice....

Hahaha...welcome to the club! I was *** backwards also with my 04 CS
Old 12-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
By switching PSM 'OFF' and/or driving it like you stole it,

So THAT is why I am only averaging 12.1 MPG!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:24 AM
oldphart
5th Gear

I will have to check to see what gear it drops into. That is great information, thanks bancu. As for tiptronic, yes I have had one in the past.
As for the vehicle records, it is a US vehicle brought into Canada. I know that as part of the export/import process all recalls have to be completed. I have also asked for a confirmation that all recalls have been completed on the vehicle.
I know the dealer in IL that has serviced the vehicle (CarFax), and will be calling them to get copies of all of the service records....or what they can share with me legally anyway.
The last thing is that I am having my independant mech check the coolant area to make sure that there is no issue with the hoses....all looks good so far.
Yes, the hesitation may be an issue. However, this is my first Porsche experience, so I hope that I have picked an 04 Cayenne S without an attitude
Thanks everyone.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:17 AM
bancu
Racer

As for tiptronic, yes I have had one in the past.
However, this is my first Porsche experience, so I hope that I have picked an 04 Cayenne S without an attitude.
I’m glad you put that last part in your response. I guess I should have used the phrase 'Porsche Automatic'. From what I’ve experienced, beyond any delayed acceleration issue, Cayennes with automatic transmissions behave differently than other automatics.

Unlike any other automatic I’ve driven, Cayenne responses to accelerator pedal inputs are not linear. How a Cayenne reacts to the accelerator depends not only on how far you depress the pedal but the rate at which the pedal is depressed. Easing the accelerator down for 25% of its travel versus ‘jabbing’ pedal down the same amount will result in a totally different experience.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:19 AM
bancu
Racer

I know that as part of the export/import process all recalls have to be completed. I have also asked for a confirmation that all recalls have been completed on the vehicle.
As a “long time stalker”, you might need to dig a bit more into past posts to reset your expectations.

It sound sounds like you, like several of us, are of the mind that if Porsche knows there is an issue with something they will automatically fix it. This appears to be rarely the case with Porsche.

There’s a big difference between a recall and the many things that _can_ (note that I didn’t write will) be done “if the customer complains,” “in the event of a complaint,” “in response to the complain,” “for existing complaints,” “complaints regarding,” or “complaint about”. If you dig into things you’ll find that there are very few recalls.

I personally can’t remember any “recalls” targeted at the “driver’s subjective opinion” that a Cayenne has a hesitation issue. This is why I asked if your vehicle is under warranty.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:53 PM
oldphart
5th Gear

Thanks bancu,
I hear you about what is a recall or not. My reference was to any TSB open recall has to be completed before the importation can take place.....
Now for a bit of an update......
I had a pre-delivery/purchase check done of the vehicle today. It seems that the front & rear bumpers, drivers side rear wheel well, and lift gate have all been repainted....and not as professional as it should have been. Also, the running lights were just wired by them, and not in a Porsche approved way. When I told the selling dealer about it all I got was "gee....that is news to me". Ya right!
Soooo.....I have pulled out of that deal. I was lucky in that nothing was signed, etc.
As it stands the local dealer just had one come on the lot today, again 2004 with a different color combo....and no navigation. I brought them down to the same price, but only with a 2 year CPO Porsche warranty.
Although you have pointed out how Porsche may interpret things, the nice thing about this is that I am not completely naked.
I feel much better about this one as I have all the service records, warranty, etc. As for the nav...based upon what I have read, I may be better off with a TomTom or Garmin unit anyway.....
Thanks again to everyone for your help.
oldphart
Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 PM
oldphart
5th Gear

BTW....one last thing....
The test drive with the dealer vehicle, there was no hesitation. Huge difference, so I am assuming all of the Firmware has been updated.

Quick Reply: Acceleration Lag update - Stealer or Independant