Acceleration Lag update - Stealer or Independant

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:44 PM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldphart
Thanks bancu,
I hear you about what is a recall or not. My reference was to any TSB open recall has to be completed before the importation can take place.....
Now for a bit of an update......
I had a pre-delivery/purchase check done of the vehicle today. It seems that the front & rear bumpers, drivers side rear wheel well, and lift gate have all been repainted....and not as professional as it should have been. Also, the running lights were just wired by them, and not in a Porsche approved way. When I told the selling dealer about it all I got was "gee....that is news to me". Ya right!
Soooo.....I have pulled out of that deal. I was lucky in that nothing was signed, etc.
As it stands the local dealer just had one come on the lot today, again 2004 with a different color combo....and no navigation. I brought them down to the same price, but only with a 2 year CPO Porsche warranty.
Although you have pointed out how Porsche may interpret things, the nice thing about this is that I am not completely naked.
I feel much better about this one as I have all the service records, warranty, etc. As for the nav...based upon what I have read, I may be better off with a TomTom or Garmin unit anyway.....
Thanks again to everyone for your help.
oldphart
I know things are a bit different in Canada but I'm not sure how you go from “I just bought a used 2004 CS” to “pre-delivery/purchase...I was lucky...nothing was signed”. That just makes me realize why ITC is so 'liberal' with his responses at times.

If you had noted up front that you were _looking_ at a used 2004 CS without a warranty that exhibited hesitation traits I'm sure I wouldn't have been alone in telling you to look for another vehicle right off the bat.

I think you're missing my point on the recalls vs. TSB. Recalls have to and will be done when ever a vehicle goes in for service. Many issues noted in TSBs will _only_ be done if the “if the customer complains”. I don't know but would think that you're going to have to pay for having any "in response to the complaint" work done if the vehicle is out of warranty.

I get as irritated as a new owner when I see them berated about their purchases or jumped on for asking already covered questions but in your case I've got to recommend spending a bit more time here looking at the old posts.

Last edited by bancu; 12-19-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:49 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by oldphart
BTW....one last thing....
The test drive with the dealer vehicle, there was no hesitation. Huge difference, so I am assuming all of the Firmware has been updated.
As I noted in an earlier post, most of us that _bought_ Cayennes didn't pick-up any hesitation issues when we first got our vehicles so don't think that you're out of the woods yet.

Also realize that may of the things done to address the hesitation/shifting related issues aren't just a flash of the firmware and documented as applying to 2003-2006 model years. Some of the major ones are confined to the 2003-2005 model years.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:33 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You got that right, I have an 05 Transmission plus all the matching bits in my 04
Old 12-19-2007, 04:02 PM
bancu
Racer

That’s why I chuckle when I see people say stay away from the ’03-04s. It sure seems like the issues continued into the end of the 1st generation to me. Sure you and I have had to ride shotgun on a bunch of 'fixes' but…

I wish you were nearby so we could do a comparative test drive. I think the transmission itself is the only thing they haven’t replaced. Then again I maybe typing too soon. It’s in shop right now.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I must admit that I have not read thru this thread in detail, its old to me, but there is no real cure for this, the drive by wire / tiptronic / PSM /mpg as low as possible / driving style learning system coupled with most people commuting to work thru yucky traffic cannot result in anything else.

The ONLY cure is the Sport Button on the 08's. no one has reported that this removes it but my guess is that it did.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:19 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by mudman2
I must admit that I have not read thru this thread in detail, its old to me, but there is no real cure for this, the drive by wire / tiptronic / PSM /mpg as low as possible / driving style learning system coupled with most people commuting to work thru yucky traffic cannot result in anything else.

The ONLY cure is the Sport Button on the 08's. no one has reported that this removes it but my guess is that it did.
FWIW, I had a similar experience with my MB CLK430. The transmission "adapted" to my driving style. Because my commute was slow, eventually the tranny drove that way all the time, so when I punched it at lights, or when trying to pass, the tranny waited a bit, like it was making sure I really wanted to do this, before kicking down, and exploding. I had the sport button, but didn't really notice much of a difference, until I stopped commuting, and was able to drive the car hard on a consistent basis.

My CS acts the same way now that I am commuting again.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bancu
That’s why I chuckle when I see people say stay away from the ’03-04s. It sure seems like the issues continued into the end of the 1st generation to me. Sure you and I have had to ride shotgun on a bunch of 'fixes' but…

I wish you were nearby so we could do a comparative test drive. I think the transmission itself is the only thing they haven’t replaced. Then again I maybe typing too soon. It’s in shop right now.
I agree, I drove a few other Cayenne Turbos and picked up the lag right away. Didn't drive an 08 though, but on the other hand I don't plan on buying one or beyond.

Anyway, I'll send you an e-mail and you are more than welcome to try ours out to compare. I consider the lag acceptable on ours.

Also, would you mind e-mailing me which dealer you are using now?
Are you going local or still in Denver?

I went Local, I need to try them out one more time but they seem acceptable.?.? The old service manager had mentioned never seeing issues with a Cayenne even though Stevinson repaired a boat load a week after.
He was still at Prestige
I asked if he was trying to sell me a Cayenne or if he was just stupid..

Seems the service I paid for was done happily but mention warranty and seems like a hassle for them locally unless something like this "!" shows in their face.

Send me a PM or e-mail.

BTW, as of last Monday we are Naked.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:38 PM
bancu
Racer

Vino...e-mail sent.

Quick Reply: Acceleration Lag update - Stealer or Independant