Porsche warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:56 PM
jeremy77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche warranty

Hello all,

I've been thinking of getting a preowned CS ('05 or '06) via a private seller. Of course I'm a little concerned of not buying a "certified preowned" from a dealership. But on the other hand, I can get a CS with a bit more options and lower mileage at roughly the same price by buying from a private seller.

As far as I know, all CS comes with a standard 4 year/50k miles warranty. Do you know if that warranty is still honored if I'm buying from a private seller?

I tell you... I'm so excited about this awesome SUV, I've been going to AutoTrader and CarMax every single night in the past 2 weeks

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremy77
I tell you... I'm so excited about this awesome SUV, I've been going to AutoTrader and CarMax every single night in the past 2 weeks !
I'm not even touching this until someone yells "Fore !"
Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 946 Posts

It's on the tee..... and......

Fore!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:03 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need to add about $4K for a thrid party warranty to 100K. Or take the risk, and if its an early 05 or prior that risk could be big.

Anyone for tennis ?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I'd check the service records too. The private seller should have records of all the service that has been done to the vehicle. If he doesn't, I'd be worried.

The Porsche warranty will transfer, and will cover you to 4 years or 50,000 miles. The Porsche dealer can also tell you exactly when the warranty coverage ends. This is important because it is related to the initial sale of the vehicle, not just the manufacturing date. For example - my 2004 Cayenne was manufactured in May of 2004. It was delivered new in October of 2004, and the warranty starts in October of 2004.

Even with that, I'd buy an aftermarket warranty. Do your homework and make sure you get one that will cover you, but mudman is right - this will cost you. If you have any problems, especially with electronics, the aftermarket warranty will pay for itself quickly.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:39 AM
jeremy77
Intermediate

Thank you for all your inputs and advice. Time to go car shopping...
Old 11-15-2007, 01:13 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

Nexus and I recently purchased warranties from MBA - I paid $2,500 for my 5 year 100k $0 deductible bumper to bumper which only lists exclusions and I have an 04 turbo, I think Nexus paid $1,800 for his S.
They will also give you a small discount if you mention the forum and Jason (Nexus).

Good luck...

JR
Old 11-15-2007, 06:28 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRCTT
Nexus and I recently purchased warranties from MBA - I paid $2,500 for my 5 year 100k $0 deductible bumper to bumper which only lists exclusions and I have an 04 turbo, I think Nexus paid $1,800 for his S.
They will also give you a small discount if you mention the forum and Jason (Nexus).

Good luck...

JR
All I can say is those sound way too cheap... many a warranty company has bankrupted over Porsche.. and/or they exclude more than you think.. if you're fortunate maybe they're good.. if not --- Book 'um Dano!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:56 AM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by MadFox
All I can say is those sound way too cheap... many a warranty company has bankrupted over Porsche.. and/or they exclude more than you think.. if you're fortunate maybe they're good.. if not --- Book 'um Dano!
I have received quotes for thrid party service contracts (legally, they are not warranties) for 5yr/100k miles from $1,800 to $4,300. After reviewing the language, they both cover exactly the same stuff and exclude the same stuff, though there are minor differences in the amenities/extras (e.g. trip interruption, roadside assistance, etc.).

As best I can see, it comes down who is underwriting the service contract. If it is a reputable insurance company, that is publicly traded/rated by Best as an A+, then you are safer, than with a retention group, which can fold at the drop of a hat. They are, after all, in the business of collecting premiums, not paying claims.

All that said, (ltc may disagree here re: the pepper), you get what you pay for. If third party service contract is your choice, and it will be mine, probably makes sense to pay the extra scratch and go with the contract offered by your dealer. That way if the product he sells goes t_ts up, he will have some incentive, morally, or otherwise, to help you out. After all, he wants you to buy another Porsche, or at the very least the $70 windshield wipers that come complete with Bose sound.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:05 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

I hear what you are both saying and do agree...I am hoping the research I did and more so the research Nexus did (where are you) got us a decent warranty. The one through the dealer was just to much although it would have been my preference.

Here is the link to the company I purchased my warranty from if anyone wants to check them out http://www.mbadirect.com/

JR
Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRCTT
I hear what you are both saying and do agree...I am hoping the research I did and more so the research Nexus did (where are you) got us a decent warranty. The one through the dealer was just to much although it would have been my preference.

Here is the link to the company I purchased my warranty from if anyone wants to check them out http://www.mbadirect.com/

JR
It's quite unusual for a thread to have gone so long without Nexus havnig something to say...
Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dennis C
It's quite unusual for a thread to have gone so long without Nexus havnig something to say...
Hahaha...what in the hell is that supposed to mean?

Yea just like JRCTT said....check out www.mbadirect.com . That is where we purchased ours through, and I gotta tell ya...I tried my absolute very best to try and dig up dirt on these guys and nada...nothing. They have been in the business 30 years, are BBB participants and had like 3 complaints logged in the last few years, and all of them were resolved.

When I bought my 2004 CS a few months ago, it had 17k miles on it and was due to go nekkid December 24th of this year. The dealer (I bought mine at a Lexus dealer after I had went to the Porsche dealer here, and when I inquired about a Cayenne...and I don't know if it was because I was in Cami Cargo shorts and a t-shirt or what? But the two salesmen I spoke to pretty much came off as pompous ******, and really did not try to help me? So I took my business elsewhere ) But the Lexus dealer wanted to sell me one (and tack it on to the financing of course) for over $3000.00! I said "HELLS NO!"

The one I bought from MBA Direct was the one just below their best plan, and it will cover me for 100k or 2013 which ever comes first, and paid $1800.00 for it. So feel free to check them out, and if you call...ask for Ed (West coast operations manager) or his assistant Lula and mention that you are a rennlist forums member, and that Jason Crum from there referred you? And I will be straight up with you....if you do, I get $50.00, you get a discounted policy? Win/win situation my friend
Old 11-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nexus 6
Hahaha...what in the hell is that supposed to mean?

No offense intended... but your lack of posting in the last few days has been noticed, that's all... You're one of the more vocal rennlist members in recent months...
Old 11-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dennis C

No offense intended... but your lack of posting in the last few days has been noticed, that's all... You're one of the more vocal rennlist members in recent months...

Oh and I was only messin man, no offense taken

Yea I have just had a lot of unfortunate personal relationship drama going on for the last few weeks. So that has kind of consumed me some, but I have begun the healing process.

But yea....other then that I have posted in the off topic section a lot.

Last edited by Nexus 6; 12-12-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Now that's a full service hair stylist...

Quick Reply: Porsche warranty