Sponsored by:

Porsche warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:37 AM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexus 6
Hahaha...what in the hell is that supposed to mean?

Yea just like JRCTT said....check out www.mbadirect.com . That is where we purchased ours through, and I gotta tell ya...I tried my absolute very best to try and dig up dirt on these guys and nada...nothing. They have been in the business 30 years, are BBB participants and had like 3 complaints logged in the last few years, and all of them were resolved.

When I bought my 2004 CS a few months ago, it had 17k miles on it and was due to go nekkid December 24th of this year. The dealer (I bought mine at a Lexus dealer after I had went to the Porsche dealer here, and when I inquired about a Cayenne...and I don't know if it was because I was in Cami Cargo shorts and a t-shirt or what? But the two salesmen I spoke to pretty much came off as pompous ******, and really did not try to help me? So I took my business elsewhere ) But the Lexus dealer wanted to sell me one (and tack it on to the financing of course) for over $3000.00! I said "HELLS NO!"

The one I bought from MBA Direct was the one just below their best plan, and it will cover me for 100k or 2013 which ever comes first, and paid $1800.00 for it. So feel free to check them out, and if you call...ask for Ed (West coast operations manager) or his assistant Lula and mention that you are a rennlist forums member, and that Jason Crum from there referred you? And I will be straight up with you....if you do, I get $50.00, you get a discounted policy? Win/win situation my friend
Have you checked out the financials on this company? They were delisted from the OTC but the CEO is hopeful they will be back sometime in the future. They might need some work on the balance sheet,

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=MBAH.PK&annual

The CEO looks like a honest fellow though http://www.mbadirect.com/News/CEOsCo...tner=mbadirect
Old 12-12-2007, 09:30 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcb928
Have you checked out the financials on this company? They were delisted from the OTC but the CEO is hopeful they will be back sometime in the future. They might need some work on the balance sheet, http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=MBAH.PK&annual
The CEO looks like a honest fellow though http://www.mbadirect.com/News/CEOsCo...tner=mbadirect
Do you hear the Hawaii Five-O Theme music softly playing in the background? It's getting louder.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
Do you hear the Hawaii Five-O Theme music softly playing in the background? It's getting louder.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:12 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mudman2
You will need to add about $4K for a thrid party warranty to 100K. Or take the risk, and if its an early 05 or prior that risk could be big.

Anyone for tennis ?

I see this all the time how bad Cayennes are. I am wanting a Cayenne but you scare the crap out of me. I originally thought that the 03 and 04s were bad, now early 05s are bad.

What Cayennes are good? I am looking at an '05 S with 35K miles. The in service date was Nov 04. This means that the factory warranty is good through Nov '08. It is also a certified car and the Porsche dealer told me that the warranty was extended to Nov '10 and 100K miles.

The asking price is $42K.

So is this a Cayenne to think about or not? What do I need to look for in a Cayenne?

Where can I find a list of standard options. I didn't see the one I was looking at having HID lights listed on the options but I can't imagine a car that was over $60K not having HID lights.

TIA
-Dana
Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DanaT
I see this all the time how bad Cayennes are. I am wanting a Cayenne but you scare the crap out of me. I originally thought that the 03 and 04s were bad, now early 05s are bad.

What Cayennes are good? I am looking at an '05 S with 35K miles. The in service date was Nov 04. This means that the factory warranty is good through Nov '08. It is also a certified car and the Porsche dealer told me that the warranty was extended to Nov '10 and 100K miles.

So is this a Cayenne to think about or not? What do I need to look for in a Cayenne?

Where can I find a list of standard options. I didn't see the one I was looking at having HID lights listed on the options but I can't imagine a car that was over $60K not having HID lights.

TIA
-Dana
FORE !

Old 12-12-2007, 10:59 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the world wants to know

what cayennes are good?

lesse, during our last episode, i believe we were still looking for the option code on that one....
Old 12-12-2007, 11:02 PM
droptop
Pro

Default hmmm...

speaking of Bar-B-Q, i have some new Raspberry Chipotle Sauce that should tone down the bitterness of newbies once they own it for a week or so....
Old 12-12-2007, 11:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I see this all the time how bad Cayennes are. I am wanting a Cayenne but you scare the crap out of me.

You scare WAY too easily. You must be afraid of spiders too.

I originally thought that the 03 and 04s were bad, now early 05s are bad.
No, the 03 and 04's had "personalities", the 05's are much, much better (of course, there was nowhere to go but up), and the recent "coil issues" aren't MY specific really, just part # specific.

What Cayennes are good?
The only good Cayenne is a dead Cayenne..........Larry, 2005.

I am looking at an '05 S with 35K miles. The in service date was Nov 04. This means that the factory warranty is good through Nov '08. It is also a certified car and the Porsche dealer told me that the warranty was extended to Nov '10 and 100K miles.
Sounds like a reasonable start.

For CPO, depending on options, not too bad.

So is this a Cayenne to think about or not?
Sure.

What do I need to look for in a Cayenne?
Suicide note from the previous owner....look under the seat.

Guess again, BiXenons are an option and I've seen Cayenne S models topping out at 80K without them.

TIA
-Dana
Godspeed.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:39 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc

You scare WAY too easily. You must be afraid of spiders too.
No. I just have this preminition that fixing them isn't cheap. That doesn't really bother me as much as being scared of wife (spider are nothing compared to a woman).

My experience with Porsches has been varied. I had a 944 that I put 100K miles on with hardly any problems. Great car. My 951 seems to have had some issues. Maybe some of the issues I have caused (could 19psi pf boost contribute to blown head gasket?). Also, since the car has been "massaged" it now has character. I have a list of instructions for the wife before she can drive it. She hates that.

The wife is convinced that a Cayenne means being in the shop every week and costing more to repair than it costs.

I can handle the occasional issue (my primary car is a Grand Cherokee so "issues" are normal) but I don't want a lemon.

-Dana
Old 12-13-2007, 12:27 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can handle the occasional issue (my primary car is a Grand Cherokee so "issues" are normal) but I don't want a lemon. -Dana
Then go '06 Tit.S or if '05 give a lot of scrutiny to the service records. Once you get past the initial glitches and surprises the vehicle can be bulletproof. '06 is a champ. ZERO issues for 15 months and 23K miles.. I had been into the dealer at least 20 times with the Beta.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Is a CPO warranty sufficient protection for your bride?
How would you rate your Porsche dealer for service? Do you have a good relatiionship with them?
Do you plan on keeping this vehicle past 100K?
Have you read the CPO warranty and discovered what is NOT covered? A CPO is NOT a bumper to bumper like the original OEM.

This month's long term Achilles Heel is the cracked coolant tube issue (no, don't ask, do a search, otherwise you'll incur the wrath of MadFox.....he's still a bit disappointed that we haven't gotten a STFA emoticon)

P.S. Mention towing and I'm unleashing the squirrels.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:47 AM
droptop
Pro

Default as far

as the 05 MY goes, i keep hearing how it is better.....

you may note that my avatar points out that my 05 was judged a lemon and porsche was forced (at pen point by the arkansas AG office) to take it back. also note that since you are buying used, you will not have lemon law protections. depending on your state of residence, you may have MORE protections (californians for instance) but probably you will have alot less.

the discussion of warranties, or service contracts is interesting. in the automobile world, warranties are put on by companies to make cars that have reliability problems more attractive. so, you already know up front that the cayenne has some issues... thats good, knowing what you are getting into makes the "click" as you step down less surprising.

quite honestly, the cayenne isn't a bad ride, but it's not in a class by itself either. i brought the FX back across US412 from blytheville to springdale arkansas last night, in the rain. it's a interesting drive in good conditions, these weren't. yet, the FX did a fantastic job, keeping a tight grip on the road, and when i decided that i was finished with following ma kettle in her minivan who was hitting her brakes every 300 ft, the FX took off like a cat-shot hornet for a highly illegal double yellow pass.

some people just like porsches, some folks like flogging themselves every morning. i don't pretend to like either. will any random cayenne have more problems than any random infiniti or lexus? statistically, yes, without question. will it be more expensive to fix? absolutely.

will having the porsche crest on the front be worth the additional trouble? that is a question each person has to answer themselves. for me, the answer was "NO!"

after enlightenment... chop wood, carry water.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 AM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
How would you rate your Porsche dealer for service? Do you have a good relatiionship with them?
This bit of wisdom from ltc is sometimes underemphasized. These questions should be in ALL CAPS and BOLD whenever included in an answer to any question on this forum. Virtually all cars have problems, though later Cayennes have far fewer problems than earlier ones. How hard they are to live with depends very heavily on your dealer's service (assuming they are covered by whatever warranty), meaning the experience level of the techs working on your car, their knowledge of the problems common to Cayennes, etc. I am not much for conspiracy theories, but the difference I see between the 993 service I got some years ago and my current Cayenne service might lend some credence to others' claims that dealers often put Cayennes on the back burner when it comes to which techs work on the vehicle and where they go in the priority list. Maybe it's just because current 911 owners complain more about having to drive the loaner Boxers and Cayennes more than do Cayenne owners. I definitely witnessed that sort of prejudice with my MB dealer (ML vs. S-class quality of service).

My late '05 MY has had few issues, but service has been exasperating - usually suboptimal, occasionally brilliant, sometimes proactive, and always slow - albeit always pleasant. Better than my former MB dealer, but not on a par with my local Ford, Nissan, Volvo, etc. dealers and not worth mentioning in the same breath as my wife's Lexus dealer. I love my truck, but I won't buy another P-car of any flavor (at least as a daily driver) until I move somewhere close to good service.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sigs
This bit of wisdom from ltc is sometimes underemphasized..
That just sounds wrong in this forum.....would you like to take a moment and reconsider?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:49 PM
sigs
Racer

Hey, a pearl is a pearl, even if it comes from a cranky, under-medicated oyster.

Quick Reply: Porsche warranty