Sponsored by:

Cayenne alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:07 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne alternatives?

IMO, this forum contains a lot of bad news from people that don't seem to like Cayennes. Don't take that as an insult, I'd rather hear the truth than sugar coating. So I ask, if not a Cayenne, then what else would you suggest I buy?

The reason I'm in the market is because we're expecting our first child 5/1/08 and need to upgrade from my wife's 2 door BMW. It doesn't snow here, and we don't commute, so we could get by with a camry or just about anything. But being infected with this car lover's disease, just "getting by" doesn't cut it.

My wife likes Cayennes, but hates some other logical choices like the Acura MDX for example. I like the Cayenne because it would tow my track car (the one pictured to the left) in style, because I have very fond memories of my 996, and because I was always very satisfied with the service manager at Stead Porsche here in Walnut Creek. Thanks to the service dept at Concord BMW, all BMW's are ruled out this time around. I consider the CTT an incredible vehicle that has no equal.

Another current attraction of the Cayenne, is that they seem to be a relative bargain on the used market right now. For around $50K I can get a used 2005 CTT, which would be awesome. That is the very top of my budget preference, and the CTT is the only vehicle that's tempted me to spend that much thus far. The #1 attraction of every other vehicle is they're lower price vs a Cayenne.

One other car that excites me is the Audi S4 Avant (the one pictured below is for sale, asking $45K), or even the A4 Avant S-Line V6 for around $35K. The problem with the S4 is that it won't tow, it costs almost as much as a CTT, and I suspect that over the next 5 years it will depreciate more.

Any other suggestions?

Old 11-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

As they say: "There is no substitute." I have a launch vehicle and have been very happy with it. The MDX I took for a test drive last weekend as we want a vehicle with 3rd row seating. It was a fine vehicle with more amenities than you will have with the Cayenne. Bottom line is I couldn't have asked for a more fun vehicle. Get a used one with a CPO to 100k and you'll be fine. Congrats on the baby.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:39 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've got a 9 month old son and we bought our CTT late last year for the same reasons you are looking for one. We've had zero problems and I would highly recommend it. Congrats on the baby!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
IMO, this forum contains a lot of bad news from people that don't seem to like Cayennes.
Really? Wow, I never noticed.

So I ask, if not a Cayenne, then what else would you suggest I buy?
OK, so on one hand you're concerned by a few "people" (re: complete stranger, some who don't take their meds when they should) who allegedly don't like Cayennes, but you're going to ask the same group of people in the same forum what they do like?

It's an internet forum.....Don't believe anything that you read.

Go and figure it out for yourself.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:35 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll wait for the Q7 TDI
Old 11-11-2007, 10:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alex911s
I'll wait for the Q7 TDI
You and JFSheck.....good choice
Old 11-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by alex911s
I'll wait for the Q7 TDI
Sounds great except for the last sentence in the paragraph:
There are currently no plans to import this engine to the North American market.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

IMO, this forum contains a lot of bad news from people that don't seem to like Cayennes. Don't take that as an insult, I'd rather hear the truth than sugar coating. So I ask, if not a Cayenne, then what else would you suggest I buy?
This is a problem solving board (usually... mostly)... so of course there will be problems discussed. That shouldn't be a surprise. Most people who come here don't just post good things about the Cayenne... they look for solutions to problems. If you look at the message boards for any other car you'll see the same type of thing.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:12 PM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by Dennis C
This is a problem solving board (usually... mostly)... so of course there will be problems discussed. That shouldn't be a surprise. Most people who come here don't just post good things about the Cayenne... they look for solutions to problems. If you look at the message boards for any other car you'll see the same type of thing.
I don't disagree with you, but of all the internet forums I've been on, this one is the most pessimistic regarding the subject vehicle. Is that because the Cayenne is the worst vehicle made? I doubt it. Like any forum, I read the posts of extremists with a grain of salt. Even after reading a lot of negatvie posts on here, I'm still not convinced that the Cayenne (CTT especially) isn't the best vehicle in its category. Used, they also seem to be quite a bargain right now.

My question is, what other vehicles have others considered? Am I missing somethig?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:10 PM
sigs
Racer

I don't disagree with you, but of all the internet forums I've been on, this one is the most pessimistic regarding the subject vehicle.
This is a very picky and, myself excluded, informed group of folks. Fact is, many of us here were somewhat like you. We lurked on multiple forums, we read, we ignored the evangelists and we hoped the extreme critics were exaggerating or had had very bad luck. We looked at the competition, decided the Cayenne was what we wanted, and have generally been happy, despite the problems. For some, the Porsche moniker was an important plus. A few of us, like myself, tried everything we could do to NOT buy a Porsche, being jaded by PAG and Porsche service, in general; but we were still left with having to pick the best overall vehicle for what we wanted.

Unlike sports cars, true SUVs are, by nature, Swiss-Army knives, rather than scalpels, so comparisons between different models is more difficult. The forums are useful - pre-purchase - to help you consider which features you might like or which problems you are simply not willing to tolerate - or, as in my case, to help you wait until crucial problems are resolved.They are not useful in helping you decide what you need or want in a vehicle. Based on the alternatives you listed, it seems like you haven't really decided what qualities you are looking for, and it sounds like you really don't even need an SUV. If you are only looking for a few of the Cayenne's capabilities, then there are many vehicles in each category that would be better bargains. IMHO, the Cayenne is really only worth it if you want ALL of its capabilities.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

For $50K, you can probably buy a very nice Touareg TDI....even better tow vehicle, better engine (torque and fuel economy and life), same unibody/paint, same electronics, better interior design, fit and finish.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:12 PM
tommytomaso
Burning Brakes

Q7....4.2 would be my pick and they look cool.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Don't settle for second best......the Cayenne is the ultimate force in the SUV universe.

Here are 82 orphans (****, Turbo S, S....you name it), currently looking for homes:
http://motors.listings.ebay.com/Pors...istingItemList

There are countless more available at a Porsche dealership near you as well:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/pre-owned-vehicles/search/

Happy Holidays.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:09 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

I spent about six months looking (comming out of a 02 Audi Allroad with 107K miles). Wanted the nicest smallest car that I could haul 7000 lb trailer with. Live in a condo and visit job sites on a regular basis.
Read consumer reports and drove the Lexus LX 470 Great electronics, tippy ride, slow throttle response, very comfortable, great finish, snoozy.
Range Rover Sport; pretty cool, nice looking, pretty responsive, felt a little cheap and not sure about long term reliablility.
Tahoe, really pretty nice but topheavy, a little cheap and bigger than I needed but very decent. Probably best value for all things considered
Trailblazer SS, pretty cool ride, has a Vette engine, very nimble, towed enough but barely very spartan inside A rocket in the low $40's
Q7 was nice, good electronics, 4.2 was ok but not very exciting, handling was reasonable, user interface was fine. My wife hated the nose. Nice interior, extra seats that I don't need.
BMW X5 4.8is Very nice, high rear entry, ok towing but not quite enough, good i pod and bluetooth, unlike others I find the I drive pretty intuitive. Nice handling decent response but not like the last car I looked it:
CTT. Nothing was even close. Even for the money. This is a 10 year plus car for me and I don't mind paying the freight. I probably will not get an extended warrantee either. Just pay as things come up...
Old 11-12-2007, 05:28 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

I may need to put my flame suit on but has anyone looked at any American SUV's like the Yukon or Tahoe. There was a big spread in car and driver about the new GM Yukon Hybrid. It looks promising. The Escalade is a little over the top for me. It just seems that not much compares to the Cayenne.

As others point out, the Toureg TDI is a solid choice.

Quick Reply: Cayenne alternatives?