Cayenne alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:09 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M491
Believe it or not, having one child does not mean you automatically have to buy a truck/SUV or station wagon.

Your 7 lb. baby will fit fine in any of the millions of cars available today. And will continue to fit for many years.

Doctor, I concur! (c)
Old 12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

I agree as well. Even with two kids we did fine without an SUV or a minvan. The story changes, however, when the kids get big, but are not old enough to drive. My 14 year old son is about 6'2", and his little brother isn't far behind. We need and SUV to haul not only the kids, but all their stuff!

He has already approached me about driver's education: "Dad, do I get to drive the HUMMER or the Porsche?"

I'm thinking of an older Saab 9-3... stickshift...
Old 12-06-2007, 06:03 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M491
Believe it or not, having one child does not mean you automatically have to buy a truck/SUV or station wagon.

Your 7 lb. baby will fit fine in any of the millions of cars available today. And will continue to fit for many years.
Thanks Capt. Obvious!

Does anyone NEED a Cayenne? Not really. Could they "get by" with a lesser car? Absolutely. Is that the point of this forum? I don't think so.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
.... Is that the point of this forum? I don't think so.
OK, so what exactly IS the point of this forum?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:58 PM
RoninM5
Advanced

Went from a 2004 Cayenne S with steel spring suspension, to a 2008 X5 4.8i with sport package. The Cayenne felt sportier in the handling dept., but the X5 is significantly smoother in terms of ride as well as engine. It's our family hauler, and we just got it, so I haven't had a chance to really push it, but there is a lot more cargo room, and also second row space than the Cayenne.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:14 PM
RoninM5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Franklin229
I looked at every SUV/truck out there and could have afforded most. I went Land Rover-LR3. It's bigger inside, feels a lot more solid and IMO will do the off-road thing way better than the pepper with out a single fear of getting a scratch here or there. It's a truck with a frame and unibody contruction. Very functional. Will haul 7 passengers comfortably and with the seats folded, I can throw my muddy mountain bike in the back.
I went to a '05 LR3 also for my daily driver, coming from a '06 Jeep Commander with HEMI (the '08 X5 is my wife's daily).

I love it. Great design, so much room and utility. Can carry adults in the third row no problem, the Commander's third row was useless. LR3 is built like a tank. Solid ride. Not nearly as fun as a Cayenne or X5 on the road, but pretty amazing off road.

I bought it used, after reviewing the service records, most of the major stuff has been done, and it is still under warranty. Been problem free since May, when I acquired it, with the exception of a power steering pump failure, replaced under warranty.

Following a friend's V6 LR3 up Nightmare Gulch in my V8 LR3.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 PM
dp35
Pro

My research is now complete, and the Cayenne S is the winner. We test drove the Mercedes ML350 and ML500, the Acura MDX, the Lexus RX400 hybrid, and the Cayenne S (which we just bought). We didn't consider any BMW's thanks to Concord BMW's service dept.

Everyone's situation will be different, and two big things working in favor of the Cayenne were that it was my wife's favorite, and that Stead Porsche is right by my house, and my prior experience with their service dept was great. The Stead service manager is the best I've ever dealt with.

Of the cars we test drove, I'd probably be happy with a well optioned version of any, except the Lexus hybrid and its CVT transmission weirdness. That might be ok for someone who doesn't understand or care how the machine they're driving works, but not for me.

I liked the Acura a lot, but the wife didn't like its looks, and their prices are not cheap, so it was out.

So it was basically down to the ML500 or Cayenne S. I could've ended up with either, but would not have been willing to pay as much for the ML, because they are not eye to eye with the Cayenne IMO (and apparently the rest of the market, based on resale prices).

I found a very well optioned 2005 Cayenne S and bought it. Photos here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...34#post4961434

The end.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:48 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
Everyone's situation will be different, and two big things working in favor of the Cayenne were that it was my wife's favorite, and that Stead Porsche is right by my house, and my prior experience with their service dept was great. The Stead service manager is the best I've ever dealt with.

The end.
as others have said, and i agree, the service department will make or break your cayenne.

Quick Reply: Cayenne alternatives?