ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TestnDoc
PCM3 ??????? When??????????
Hey Doc,
I should have known this would have driven you out.
Same answer as before....

BTW, has anyone seen the new Ford 'Sync' option? Voice recognition to control your MP3 and Bluetooth devices.
http://www.syncmyride.com/
...too bad Porsche sees no value in that either.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:15 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got back from a walk I the voices were saying "Bluetooth." Thank you Larry for filling in while I was away! If the German car manufacturers felt there was a need/demand for Bluetooth they would offer this little item. Oh.... I forgot, Bluetooth IS available on Mercedes and Audi. So, maybe P company is technologically short changed in their engineering department or someone higher up had a bad experience in his/her formative years or...............................
Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I just got back from a walk I the voices were saying "Bluetooth." Thank you Larry for filling in while I was away! If the German car manufacturers felt there was a need/demand for Bluetooth they would offer this little item. Oh.... I forgot, Bluetooth IS available on Mercedes and Audi. So, maybe P company is technologically short changed in their engineering department or someone higher up had a bad experience in his/her formative years or...............................
Yes, P company is a bit short changed in certain areas of engineering, mainly electrical. Besides, what few electrical engineers they have are currently "involved" with the Hybrids.....notice that when shown, there was no price, no promise of delivery date? Fine with me, plenty of more marshmallows to cook before this one is ready for prime time.....maybe a good addition would be one of those turkey thermometers that 'pop up' when it's done.....sorry, I digress.

As previously mentioned for the umpteenth (or eleventy billionth) time, it's simply a matter of the marketing department and the finance department telling engineering that there is no reason to spend money on an option that will NOT sell a single additional vehicle.

You have to be in the room when it's said.....it loses a lot in translation, trust me.

So far, Dr W and Peter the Great are correct. Bitch, moan, groan, complain, ask strangers on internet forums how to retrofit electronics into these things....but they still keep coming back to the showroom.....well, there is someone who isn't going back into the showroom, but I don't want to drop names.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:59 PM
abtmuda
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So no CT ever came with BT? I was thinking of changing the entire HU with another OEM BT capable one?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by abtmuda
So no CT ever came with BT??
Correct. Bluetooth has never been an OEM PAG option.

Originally Posted by abtmuda
I was thinking of changing the entire HU with another OEM BT capable one?
And exactly which OEM Bluetooth capable headunit are you thinking of installing in place of a CDR23/PCM2.x ?
You can retrofit an Audi MOST headunit or Mercedes MOST headunit (they're basically the same...all made by Becker) from an electrical (simple) and software (not so simple) perspective......I know of folks who have done it (no, no names), but I've never heard of it being done by end users.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:39 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-19-2007, 02:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Got enough to share ?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:04 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry spent my pennies on a Jawbone ($80 on ebay)
Old 10-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Correct. Bluetooth has never been an OEM PAG option.
Hey now, quit dissin' my Beta efforts.

Don't forget, I *had* a factory prep kit installed and used the stock THB Bury Bluetooth DSP adapter (also sold by Porsche with a PNA part number) and had true Bluetooth on my Beta model. Admittedly, it was not a Turbo Cayenne, but c'mon.... give a guy a break!

(Never mind that Porsche got served with a nice lawsuit from some firm in the US over some misappropriation of technology. Come to think of it..... I think the phone prep kit was pulled shortly after the Sheriff showed up in Atlanta.)
Old 10-19-2007, 07:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Toby,
I would never 'diss your Beta efforts; you would be in on the first ballot if we had a Cayenne Modification Hall of Fame.

Phone prep kit aside, I don't think it's what most people would consider a 'Bluetooth option out of an ordering guide'.....that's what I meant.

You know, simple options, like BiXenon headlamps
Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man! You really know how to hurt a guy!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:14 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Larry please cover your eyes. Toby what is the word on the phone kit. I ordered same and of course never used it! Is there some technology that was misappropriated?? Can I now convert it to Bluetooth??
Old 10-20-2007, 09:03 AM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
It looks/sounds cool, but I was specifically looking for something that doesn't go behind the ear and so far this thing has been great:

You don't have to install or use the ear loop with the Jawbone. In fact it 'fit' and worked better for me without the loop.

'Loopless' the Jawbone looks very much like what you've got pictured. It's just a bit thicker.

The Jawbone's noise canceling really is amazing and the quality of your conversations will easily blow away any other headset, or hands free setup.

If you pick one up at an ATT store their 30 day return policy should apply. It'll cost you a bit more than buying online but it will give you a chance to try it out.

The only slight downside I've come up with is that it has its own charging (USB to Jawbone) cable and you can't use a mini USB cable.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Larry please cover your eyes. Toby what is the word on the phone kit. I ordered same and of course never used it! Is there some technology that was misappropriated?? Can I now convert it to Bluetooth??
pdxjim,

The technology was always there, it's just that Porsche was apparently enjoined from selling same in (at least) the US. If you have the complete Phone Prep Kit that includes the cradle, the wiring harness from the rear spoiler (for the external antenna), the MOST interface box AND the proper cradle, you should be in business. In fact, it looks like there is a vendor here in the US that has a Bluetooth cradle pplug-in for the THB System 8 setup that formed the basis for Porsche's Hands-Free Phone kit - Here is the link for PTP-USA. Look at the very first entry! Note that there are other cradles available for the System 8 system. Good luck!

Toby

Quick Reply: 05 Bluetooth????