Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:26 PM
ozr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
Hi everyone,

...the flickering occurs mostly during acceleration, stopping, and cornering...
thanks a bunch,
Sam
...LOOSE electrical socket contact for the WHOLE light assembly component ...

...that's, when inertia disconnects/reconnects LOOSE contact connection in a LOOSE light housing component, sliding back/forward on the plastic rails...

Whole light assembly component sits on plastic RAIL housing in a car by DESIGN and it's PORSCHEs weak point for NON careful light housing factory!!!, dealer tech or car owner light housing attachment to a car...

READ the owners manual for removing/reattaching light component assembly at page 318.

Remove both light assemblies, REtighten loose screws in the plastic rails component in a car itself (about two screws...), check light assembly contact socket, then CAREFULLY place light assembly on the plastic rails, VERIFY precise placement, SLIDE light assembly component CAREFULLY back, while CAREFULLY turning tightening screw (see manual page 318 for reference...). Make sure it's tight!!! Drive the car and VERIFY, if assembly becomes loose again, RETIGHTEN again, drive again and verify...

...and your problems should go away...

...but of course, replacing whole light assembly units under warranty MAY fix this too...because, probably, you just need to retighten/reconnect parts/components...

If above doesn't help, ONLY then you check light assembly INTERNAL SUBcomponents: bulbs, internal sockets, connections and etc...

OZRacing
Old 10-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ozr

...that's, when inertia disconnects/reconnects LOOSE contact connection in a LOOSE light housing component, sliding back/forward on the plastic rails...

Whole light assembly component sits on plastic RAIL housing in a car by DESIGN and it's PORSCHEs weak point for NON careful light housing factory!!!, dealer tech or car owner light housing attachment to a car...

READ the owners manual for removing/reattaching light component assembly at page 318.

Remove both light assemblies, REtighten loose screws in the plastic rails component in a car itself (about two screws...), check light assembly contact socket, then CAREFULLY place light assembly on the plastic rails, VERIFY precise placement, SLIDE light assembly component CAREFULLY back, while CAREFULLY turning tightening screw (see manual page 318 for reference...). Make sure it's tight!!! Drive the car and VERIFY, if assembly becomes loose again, RETIGHTEN again, drive again and verify...

...but of course, replacing whole light assembly units under warranty MAY fix this too...because, probably, you just need to retighten/reconnect parts/components...

If above doesn't help, ONLY then you check light assembly INTERNAL SUBcomponents: bulbs, internal sockets, connections and etc...

OZRacing
OZR,
this may make sense, because usually the flickering happens during acceleration or deceleration. I will bring it to our competent Porsche dealer's attention...in their credit they've ONLY tried fixing it 5 times ...god just help us
Sam
Old 10-07-2007, 01:13 AM
bmc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ozr

OZRacing
OZ is dead on.

i know it is not the same car, but i had this exact problem on my V10 touareg shortly after the dealer made some repair that involved removing the bumper and head lights. the tech had the hold down 180 out and when locking the head light assembly in place the unit was unable to secure completly.

i would look at the headlight assembly, bucket and last the mechanism that locks them both in place.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is already a well known TSB regarding intermittent headlight operation due to the connector and retention. IIRC, the TSB has been posted in this forum

I would have assumed that the dealer replaced it already; or that PCNA Technical support desk would have told them to do it by now.

Simple check, read your paperwork and see if it's been done.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Finally, I think the problem is fixed. 3 days and no flickering.

This is what they replaced:

LEFT REAR LEVEL SENSOR (I am not sure why the rear one?)
HEADLIGHT SERVO MOTORS X2
LEFT HEADLIGHT HARNESS
LEFT XENON BULB

hopefully this is it.
Sam
Old 11-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Why the left rear level sensor you ask??

AHEM Class is now in session!

First, the leveling system for the Bi-Xenon lights relies upon the level sensors located on the left side of the car - specifically the front AND rear level sensors. The control units located on the underside of each Bi-Xenon headlight housing are actually a combination unit - it's a ballast (needed to "start" the Xenon light) AND a control unit that uses digital inputs from the leveling sensors along with steering input signals (from the sensors located on the steering wheel) to calculate how to "steer" the main light beam.

If you watch your lights when they first start up, there is a specific sequence executed by the two control units for the lights. First the lights are fired on and then the lights are depressed to their lowest angle, raised to their highest angle and then settle into the "level" position that your Porsche tech programmed into the control units (yes, that's right - BOTH of them, and they are programmed sequentially) via the PIWIS. If I remember the programming sequence required, the vehicle has to be parked on a completely level surface, then the left control unit/light assembly is programmed to "settle" on a designated height marker representing a "level" delivery of beam, and then the right unit must be similarly programmed. This represents about 1 hour of effort.

Then while the car is being driven and the Bi-Xenon lights are "on", those programmed, "level reference points" are constantly compared to the data presented via the CAN-Bus by the level sensors at the front and rear left corners of the suspension. When deviations occur that indicate that the vehicle is "tilted" up or down relative to the level position, then the light beams are deflected down (if the vehicle has assumed an upward angle) or deflected up (if the vehicle has assumed a downward angle).

Any questions?? Good. Class dismissed.

Seriously, I'm surprised that one of the control units was not replaced. Perhaps there was a level sensor fault reported on the CAN-Bus but Porsche forgot to document an error message for it. Or more likely, the left headlight harness was the real culprit. Too bad, I could have GIVEN you one of those harnesses. Surprisingly, that harness (a 12 inch harness with two Valeo connectors on it) is one part of the wiring harness that is NOT VIN-specific. It is specific for right or left.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Toby
Old 11-02-2007, 08:12 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff

First, the leveling system for the Bi-Xenon lights relies upon the level sensors located on the left side of the car - specifically the front AND rear level sensors. The control units located on the underside of each Bi-Xenon headlight housing are actually a combination unit - it's a ballast (needed to "start" the Xenon light) AND a control unit that uses digital inputs from the leveling sensors along with steering input signals (from the sensors located on the steering wheel) to calculate how to "steer" the main light beam.

If you watch your lights when they first start up, there is a specific sequence executed by the two control units for the lights. First the lights are fired on and then the lights are depressed to their lowest angle, raised to their highest angle and then settle into the "level" position that your Porsche tech programmed into the control units (yes, that's right - BOTH of them, and they are programmed sequentially) via the PIWIS. If I remember the programming sequence required, the vehicle has to be parked on a completely level surface, then the left control unit/light assembly is programmed to "settle" on a designated height marker representing a "level" delivery of beam, and then the right unit must be similarly programmed. This represents about 1 hour of effort.

Then while the car is being driven and the Bi-Xenon lights are "on", those programmed, "level reference points" are constantly compared to the data presented via the CAN-Bus by the level sensors at the front and rear left corners of the suspension. When deviations occur that indicate that the vehicle is "tilted" up or down relative to the level position, then the light beams are deflected down (if the vehicle has assumed an upward angle) or deflected up (if the vehicle has assumed a downward angle).

Seriously, I'm surprised that one of the control units was not replaced. Perhaps there was a level sensor fault reported on the CAN-Bus but Porsche forgot to document an error message for it. Or more likely, the left headlight harness was the real culprit. Too bad, I could have GIVEN you one of those harnesses. Surprisingly, that harness (a 12 inch harness with two Valeo connectors on it) is one part of the wiring harness that is NOT VIN-specific. It is specific for right or left.

Toby

OK, now why don't you tell the class how complicated it is to replace halogen headlights with Xenon/Litronics in, say, a Carrera or Boxster......I should guess it takes 20 words or less and involves a screwdriver

I'm sure most of the newbies (hmmn, chicken) don't realize that PAG and PCNA actually call Toby when there is a question with Cayenne headlight assemblies.
Toby has 'been there, done that....boldly gone where no man has gone before.....or should have gone "

Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff

Toby
no question with ...
man this is deep....needs Pink Floyd The wall...
THANK YOU TOBY
BTW: as expected all was repaired under warranty
Sam

Last edited by Sam CS 05; 03-10-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc

OK, now why don't you tell the class how complicated it is to replace halogen headlights with Xenon/Litronics in, say, a Carrera or Boxster......I should guess it takes 20 words or less and involves a screwdriver

I'm sure most of the newbies (hmmn, chicken) don't realize that PAG and PCNA actually call Toby when there is a question with Cayenne headlight assemblies.
Toby has 'been there, done that....boldly gone where no man has gone before.....or should have gone "

something about P lights and Larry...hummm... it must have been a tragic experience...brings tears to my eyes
Old 11-17-2011, 05:03 PM
elycayenne06
AutoX

Check Dipped Beam for my CS06 so far was a two part problem.
1.That seem to resolve this connection problem
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...going-out.html
2. Replacing D1S HID - High Intensity Discharge Lamp seem to resolve flickering while driving.

Quick Reply: Flickering Xenon lights?