Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Cayenne Off-road ready

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 10:01 PM
nrddct
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone else tried dune riding in street tires?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:20 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nrddct
Whatever y'all are talking about... Take pictures.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by nrddct
I would not go dune riding in street tires.
- If you do, use the smallest wheel possible to get the most rubber - for me 18"
- Be sure to air-down prior to going off pavement
- Bring a set of Maxtrax.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:15 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes!!

So I've tried running on 21" rims - my advice DON'T, you are likely to get stuck.

I swapped to 265/60/R18 road tyres - Perfect. Great for Sand dunes. Buy cheap tyres, as they have rubbish tread, and poor sidewalls. As a result they deflate nicely and dont claw at the sand. Grip is great! For dunes its all about floating over the top

That said I've just swapped to A/Ts (265/65/R18 BFGs) not quite as good in sand, deflated OK, but they dig into sand a bit too much. If you look at Sandtyres (yes they are a thing), they look like balloons with soft sidewalls and little tread.

Pics? Check out www.facebook.com/CayenneGTSoffroad

Clip below is this weekend, climbing fossil rock outside Dubai.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:03 PM
NotSlowNotFast
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Porsche...5ZIJbM&vxp=mtr
Old 06-08-2017, 01:41 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

What do you use for normal communication when beyond cell phone coverage?
We have a Kenwood 710 HAM radio hard mounted, works great when traveling in a group and when we can reach a repeater. Our BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band two way HAM radio has limited range but is useful when spotting technical parts of the trail.

Our Midland 75-822 40‑Channel CB Radio is essential when in the forrest to communicate with logging trucks. The trucks do drive fast and carry heavy loads - very hard for them to stop. This is critical for us especially on one lane bridges. Also useful to get current & predicted weather conditions.

Traveling in open dry areas the dust plume vehicles kick up is a good sign someone else is out there.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:17 AM
h_____
Instructor

The section from that clip, isnt as remote as it first looks, its probably only 30km from civilization. Also, alot of the desert has good cell phone coverage out here, and actually you see quite a lot of cars.

However, when we've gone further afield and lose coverage, we've not had backup. We've always gone with a min of 3 cars and a view on where escape routes are. That way you can get 1 car stuck, Get another stuck recovering it and still get out. We've got a longer trip planned in Sept, and I plan to have a Sat phone by then. Its starting to look like a worth while investment.

Thankfully the UAE has pretty good cell phone coverage, we've found Oman a little more patchy.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:07 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

As good as Sat phones are, we had two Iridium phones neither worked when we needed them on a trip in 2009. They were our only means of communicating. Found out later that the Iridium 33 satellite we needed had collided with the Russian Kosmos 2251 satellite knocking both out of service.
Granted this was a highly unusual situation that thankfully has not impacted us since.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:24 AM
h_____
Instructor

Thats interesting, I dont know a lot about Sat phones, and never really thought that they are (of course) tied to a certain satellite provider.

The ones that are available easily here seem to be Thuraya coverage or Inmarsat.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:12 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by h_____
Thats interesting, I dont know a lot about Sat phones, and never really thought that they are (of course) tied to a certain satellite provider.
The ones that are available easily here seem to be Thuraya coverage or Inmarsat.
You got me thinking to look at current provider coverage maps - https://www.orbitalsatcom.com/coverage#tabscoverage6
Currently we just have a Garmin-InReach devise that uses the Iridium satellite network giving us global coverage.
Different capabilities from a phone but we only need it for tracking & emergency contact when out & beyond.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:04 AM
h_____
Instructor

Thats really useful! It never occurred to me that the networks wouldnt automatically cover the whole area!

:-) I think a purchase over the summer, before our big trip in September.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_r2r
I'm running stock tire size, 255x55x18. Nothing else changed. No rubbing, no changes in speedometer, lots of room to flex and runs the same way. I'm not a rock crawler but enjoys riding on fireroads.
Nice setup! I shall be doing the same thing for tires and purpose of mild off road adventures. Thank you for sharing!

Quick Reply: Getting Cayenne Off-road ready