7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep fossil rock
standard road tyres 275 x 20 17 psi
Old 09-27-2016, 07:33 PM
becker - 97'C4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I asked this question on another car forums but had no replies here I see people actually going off road, very cool: I go back/forth to South America and have done a few excursions/hikes up to the Andes (~16K-feet altitude) and a 4x4 is definitely a must to get to points to start a hike, a day or two away from civilization. Will the Cayenne handle the altitude and muddy dirt off roads??? I rented Toyotas/Nissans with great results they deliver there. I don't see the extra set of gears you get on a 4x4 on the cayenne, what it has is it good enough??? I can get a decent deal on a used Diesel so might be cool if it gets the job done and take it up there. One time we took a hyundai it looked mighty but that was it just looks we had a hard time getting it off the mud that thing was crap.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:50 AM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My biggest disappointment on my 2015 Diesel is the apparent omission of the center lock differential. (They call it "automatically locking") The Base gasoline model has this omission too, I think.

It's essentially one-wheel drive. Lose traction at ANY one corner and I am looking for a shovel, or a tow. I got stuck turning around and crossing a shallow bar ditch!

Our ML is far superior in the traction department - it will embarrass my vintage Land Cruiser and, of course, Jeep Clubs.

Not so with the Cayenne. I won't head down that Forest Service Road, for fear that I will get stuck yet again. I had the same situation with our Tiguan and got rid of it.
Yes, I am engaging the first notch of the off road switch (there are not two off road modes on the CD).

Am i doing something wrong? Is the "automatic" function not working?
What, exactly, is supposed to happen when I engage the one notch on the Off Road switch, and the yellow light comes on?

It's kind of a deal breaker for me, especially this year when Colorado's Aspens are having their most spectacular season in several decades!
Old 10-06-2016, 08:24 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Searcher356
My biggest disappointment on my 2015 Diesel is the apparent omission of the center lock differential. (They call it "automatically locking") The Base gasoline model has this omission too, I think.

It's essentially one-wheel drive. Lose traction at ANY one corner and I am looking for a shovel, or a tow. I got stuck turning around and crossing a shallow bar ditch!

Our ML is far superior in the traction department - it will embarrass my vintage Land Cruiser and, of course, Jeep Clubs.

Not so with the Cayenne. I won't head down that Forest Service Road, for fear that I will get stuck yet again. I had the same situation with our Tiguan and got rid of it.
Yes, I am engaging the first notch of the off road switch (there are not two off road modes on the CD).

Am i doing something wrong? Is the "automatic" function not working?
What, exactly, is supposed to happen when I engage the one notch on the Off Road switch, and the yellow light comes on?

It's kind of a deal breaker for me, especially this year when Colorado's Aspens are having their most spectacular season in several decades!
You need to be also turning off the PSM or PASM button. It activates the brakes and lowers power when off road or towing.

Big difference but yes, 955 is the differential model you would want for any version of Cayenne with locking capability.

I still think tires and PSM off you should see way better avoidance..

It seems that the diesel and hybrid got a variant AWD and Diff deletion I did not know about
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayenne-forum/793207-2011-cayenne-differential-lock.html

Old 10-10-2016, 10:18 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

cordsig79, Thanks for the link. I'll follow up there, too.

Tires help, of course, but I got stuck twice when I crossed a ditch and a wheel lifted just clear of the ground. All power was transferred to the wheel in the air, and I was dead in the water. No tread pattern could have helped that situation!

I am not sure about turning off PSM.
According to the 2015 Owner's Manual, (just to restate - 2015 Diesel)
"Off-road PSM (PSM in the off-road driving program)
When off-road mode is active, an off-road PSM specially matched to off-road driving is activated automatically to improve traction.
In order to improve drivability in difficult terrain, the response of the of-road PSM is less sensitive in the low speed range when the vehicle is set to the off-road driving program."
On the next page it says,
"Switching off PSM
....Depending on the stability of the vehicle, when braking power is increased, the vehicle is stabilized even when PSM is switched off. One-sided spinning of wheels is prevented, even with PSM switched off."
I guess they call my situation "one-sided spinning."

What I don't understand is why the brakes weren't applied to the spinning wheel, directing torque to the wheels with traction.
I wonder - do I have a lazy PSM? (i.e. broken)
Old 10-11-2016, 01:52 AM
ReichenbachRacer
5th Gear

If anyone is looking for a lift on their cayenne I may be able to help.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:47 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Searcher356
cordsig79, Thanks for the link. I'll follow up there, too.

Tires help, of course, but I got stuck twice when I crossed a ditch and a wheel lifted just clear of the ground. All power was transferred to the wheel in the air, and I was dead in the water. No tread pattern could have helped that situation!

I am not sure about turning off PSM.
According to the 2015 Owner's Manual, (just to restate - 2015 Diesel)
"Off-road PSM (PSM in the off-road driving program)
When off-road mode is active, an off-road PSM specially matched to off-road driving is activated automatically to improve traction.
In order to improve drivability in difficult terrain, the response of the of-road PSM is less sensitive in the low speed range when the vehicle is set to the off-road driving program."
On the next page it says,
"Switching off PSM
....Depending on the stability of the vehicle, when braking power is increased, the vehicle is stabilized even when PSM is switched off. One-sided spinning of wheels is prevented, even with PSM switched off."
I guess they call my situation "one-sided spinning."

What I don't understand is why the brakes weren't applied to the spinning wheel, directing torque to the wheels with traction.
I wonder - do I have a lazy PSM? (i.e. broken)
I should clarify... If you have 955 with diffs engaged, turn off PSM.

Your AWD system W/o diffs, the diesel needs PSM to imitate diffs but sadly it will brake and still cause what you mentioned in getting stuck.

I too got caught in a ditch once with PSM and street tires to blame, now I have ATM and hit the PSM off button and rip it out, before engaging diffs...

The diesel model seems to only be a play in USA market on fuel economy and not off road capabilities...
Old 10-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Originally Posted by cordsig79
I should clarify... If you have 955 with diffs engaged, turn off PSM.

Your AWD system W/o diffs, the diesel needs PSM to imitate diffs but sadly it will brake and still cause what you mentioned in getting stuck.

I too got caught in a ditch once with PSM and street tires to blame, now I have ATM and hit the PSM off button and rip it out, before engaging diffs...

The diesel model seems to only be a play in USA market on fuel economy and not off road capabilities...
That, sadly, is my experience - with off roading. I am not confident that I can head down that inviting Forest Service road without a off-road buddy to pull me out.

What baffles me is why the brakes don't take charge of the spinning wheel, so the wheel(s) with traction have power.

BUT, the Diesel shines when it comes to towing our 27' RV. A gas engine doesn't have the "stuff."

So the market is for fuel economy AND towing.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:27 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

BUT, the Diesel shines when it comes to towing our 27' RV. A gas engine doesn't have the "stuff."

So the market is for fuel economy AND towing.[/QUOTE]

I got the CTT for touring and the base for backup, third car and hunting rig.... Also the kids and dogs go in the base...
Old 03-02-2017, 10:42 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

We have taken our Cayenne diesel off-road, to auto-cross, and we do road rally. Last winter we went north of the arctic circle for the ALCAN 5000 rally with no real issues - yes our diesel did start after being cold soaked to -36F without being plugged in - plug ins were not available. 'Otis' has done everything we have asked it to do. The Cayenne will never be a rock climber or into deep mud holes due to the approach and departure angles. Driving thru Big Bend Nat'l Park, taking the Lost Coast road home after Rennsport, abandoned logging roads on the southwest corner of Vancouver Island, driving the Alvord Desert and Steens Mountain area, going where there is no 'road' to competing in autocross and rally all were good. We will never use it for a track car, that what the RSA is for. Pleasant drives with the top down, take the 3.2 Targa. The December 2016 Pano has some of what we have done for more info see:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...meet-otis.html
Old 03-05-2017, 08:13 PM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm ready......I think.........

The following 2 users liked this post by dr_r2r:
King Thunderlord (04-15-2023), Rob/RSA (12-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2017, 11:28 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

That is what I am talking about there.......looks good nice and full wheel wells, the light........how handy?

Are you on the Overland forum too?
Old 03-06-2017, 12:38 AM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes Cole, I post every now and there too. I'm running stock tire size, 255x55x18. Nothing else changed. No rubbing, no changes in speedometer, lots of room to flex and runs the same way. I'm not a rock crawler but enjoys riding on fireroads.
I love the golight and only use it when needed...so's the roof rack. Cops from other states won't bother me (I got stopped before and asked to put duct tape from my old lights). It's magnetic so I can also put it anywhere as long as the cigarette cord can reach it. Not to mention that it's also remote controlled.
I enjoyed reading your post's and got some handy tips from everyone in this forum.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Billy Monahan
1st Gear

Default Interested in the modding. Please email

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
sinktheboat, my friend is modding Q7s, touaregs and cayennes for off road usage. he developed i.e. a clearance kit that enabled him to use 305/55 R20s on his personal Q7 4.2V8 tdi. shoot me a PM if interested, I can give you his email.
Interested in the modding. Thanks
Old 05-18-2017, 12:13 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes - interested too.

The light is pretty cool, magnetic is a great idea actually. Good to see other peoples cars.

Quick Reply: Getting Cayenne Off-road ready