Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyl 4 Engine Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007 | 10:42 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Default Cyl 4 Engine Misfire

For the second time I got the cyl 4 misfire engine code. Funny thing is this is the 2nd time in about 500 miles and the dealer looked at the car and cleared the code. and they didn't fix it.

Is an engine misfire the same thing as the coil issue. When this happens it's like the cayenne is driving on 4 flat tires and at idle it's like sitting in my 993. Also at idle there is a very strong sulfur odor from the exhaust. I have not noticed this smell before but the car blows smoke at startup 80% of the time. They are tracking oil consumption now and they are referencing the oil scraper TSB...36k miles...

I have red the coil issues posts where you drive in 4 or 5 gear and then get on the gas and the car should hesitate. This is not the case when the car is running normal.
Old 09-07-2007 | 12:16 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jaholmes
....and at idle it's like sitting in my 993..
I was going to help you, but then you had to slander the 993.
Alright fine, I'll let it go...THIS TIME ONLY.

When your dealer replaced the coils, did they also replace the spark plugs? Specifically, what did #4 plug look like?

FWIW, you have a much larger problem than coils, but I'm sure you already knew that, your dealer probably does and PCNA definitely doesn't want to know (unless you're naked, in which case they're seeing $$)
Old 09-07-2007 | 09:43 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

I wasn't knocking my 993, just trying to relate to how it feels. I was slamming the Cayenne more.

Well, the dealer didn't do ****, that's the problem. Exact same problem. I feel they are just dragging it out so they don't have to pay for the coils. I am at 36k miles. I think it's time to move on to a different dealer.

Can you please elaborate on my bigger issues. Is it the blowing smoke at startup...you can even pm me. Porsche has made the oil consumption so wide that it hides real oil issues.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-07-2007 | 10:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Without seeing the vehicle and/or the plugs (specifically #4) and/or the smoke at startup and/or the oil analysis and/or an inspection of the catalytic converters and/or a vehicle emissions analysis, I'm going to venture a guess and say that you need the engine removed and opened up for internal analysis and inspection.
The obviously correct rememdy is a new (well, no one gets new, just remanufacturered) crate motor, but you will be eligible for that when PCNA is brought to court after multiple and futile service attempts (simply to get you to the point where you're naked and you have no legal recourse....remember: it's all about the wording on the service paperwork....don't sign it unless it's worded exactly as you want the problem described.....each and every time) and/or when hell freezes over. This will of course take time and money and PCNA has calculated that the vast majority of owners will simply trade the vehicle and run away (very impressive Powerpoint presentation from Marketing on that call, I must say).
Oil consumption should NOT be an issue with an NA engine (as in the case of turobcharged PAG motors....which is now officially something odd like 1qt/622 miles).

Of course, I know nothing about these vehicles. I'm just someone who is confined to a "vacation villa".....it's what the family calls the mental hospital....and spend my spare (re: non-medicated) time surfing the web.
Having Larry die didn't exactly help my mental state, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to be here for a while.

I'm sorry that I can't do more to help.
Old 09-07-2007 | 03:05 PM
ozr
Racer

Exclamation

...For the second time I got the cyl 4 misfire engine code. Also at idle there is a very strong sulfur odor from the exhaust. I have not noticed this smell before but the car blows smoke at startup 80% of the time. They are tracking oil consumption now and they are referencing the oil scraper TSB...36k miles...
...what color smoke?...
...white? black? blue? green? red? ...or just normal regular?...

OZRacing
Old 09-07-2007 | 03:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ozr
...what color smoke?...
...white? black? blue? green? red? ...or just normal regular?...
It's a V8, not a flat 6; I don't think they're expected to smoke at start up and consume oil.
Old 09-07-2007 | 03:53 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

The smoke is a grey-ish, and it's a lot of smoke. It definately lingers in the air. And now with the engine mis-fire the exhaust has a very bad odor to it and the dealer comented on it. Also it will blow smoke 80% of the time at startup. No reason; outside temp hot / cold, engine hot / cold.

I agree is should not smoke at startup and consume as much oil as it is. Now there is some issue with Porsche loaners. I have a chevy cobalt POS now as a loaner.

Anyone check out the Toureg2.
Old 09-07-2007 | 03:54 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
It's a V8, not a flat 6; I don't think they're expected to smoke at start up and consume oil.
And we are not voting on a pope.
Old 09-07-2007 | 04:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You are burning something in addition to oil and/or your cats are getting ready to fail (perhaps related to being fouled by burning something in addition to your oil).

Check plugs, check compression leakdown, boroscope peek into the cylinders, drop the exhaust and check the cats......none of which the dealer is likely willing/able to do....unless they're 100% sure PCNA is going to pay them in return.
Old 09-07-2007 | 04:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Anyone check out the Toureg2.
If the TDI was offered/available in MA, I'd be driving one tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2007 | 02:39 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Back to this problem. All coils were changed and the single Cyl 4 plug. I am going through the dealer's oil consumption check. I am at about 1qt of oil for around 600 miles. They are saying this is normal, I thought 1k miles was normal...BTW, I am on my 2nd oil check and I just got the check oil light and it's still blowing smoke at startup.

So how can I push for a new motor since I fit into the TSB for the upside down rings. The problem is that TSP has 2.5 qts oil consumption. I have about 38k miles and I fell that I have been put on a treadmill until the warranty is up, then they will magically find the issue. I live in an area with a few deals so I think it's time for my wallet to do the talking and go elsewhere.
Old 12-15-2007 | 02:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Back to this problem. All coils were changed and the single Cyl 4 plug. I am going through the dealer's oil consumption check. I am at about 1qt of oil for around 600 miles. They are saying this is normal, I thought 1k miles was normal....
The number has evolved 'downward' over time, all in the direction which benefits PCNA.
IIRC, the last "published"...and I use the term loosely...number was 1qt per 1 kilometer, not 1000 miles.

So how can I push for a new motor since I fit into the TSB for the upside down rings. The problem is that TSP has 2.5 qts oil consumption..
You can't, unless you can find a way to accelerate oil consumption. Yes, Dorothy, there are ways to do this, but of course we can't talk about them......psst, they're watching right now.

I have about 38k miles and I fell that I have been put on a treadmill until the warranty is up, then they will magically find the issue. I live in an area with a few deals so I think it's time for my wallet to do the talking and go elsewhere.
Not much advice I can give. You could try the 'legal' avenue in an effort to apply some "pressure", but they're pretty immune.
You could just drive it thru the front lobby doors of PCNA HQ...no, scratch that, after Larry did, they installed those concrete Cayenne barriers, like in front of government buildings.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 12-15-2007 | 02:53 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

............ am at about 1qt of oil for around 600 miles. They are saying this is normal, I thought 1k miles was normal............. I live in an area with a few deals so I think it's time for my wallet to do the talking and go elsewhere.
They're not speaking the truth on oil consumption for a S. Turbos can burn a qt./600 miles and many do.. but I've had two S' and have NEVER put oil in the car (never been low) other than at oil changes (done at the dealer and dealer stated oil never low). You have "issues" and it indeed may be time to get a new dealer --- I'd explain problems and lack of resolution and request testing be done as "villa boy" has suggested. If they refuse.. it might be worth getting it done independently and then using that for arbitration and/or then making your dealer "eat it" if it proves to be internal mechanical problems.
Old 12-15-2007 | 02:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Villa Boy? Isn't he dead?
Old 12-15-2007 | 02:58 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Villa Boy? Isn't he dead?