Sponsored by:

Custom butt seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:03 AM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom butt seat

OK, I confess, I traded in my C2S 06 for a Cayenne S this week. I needed to get a tip with more room, but wanted to stay in the brand. Too many client airport runs and golf clubs, just couldn't make the 911 work. I was in tears for about a day, but now I'm lovin my new CS. Got the white with the upgraded brown leather and all the bells and whistles. Fantastic, except one thing, the side bulsters on the bottom the seat makes my legs tired. It's too tight for my 200 pound frame. The comfort seats are not as comfortable as the 911. Hummm...what to do???
So I ask my dealer, whom I like a lot and always treats me well. He says, "got me". No one ever said anything about the bottom sides being to hard and pushing on the sides of their legs". "OK", I said.
But, no... I just couldn't let it go, so I tell me new car detailer the same thing. He tells me he has heard this before and sends me to the "master". This guy explains that Porsche uses a somewhat firm (read that as very hard) molded one piece "orthopedic" foam bottom base, intended to hold its form longer than your butt can. He makes his living "fixing" this for expensive cars. I look around his shop...all big brand stuff. So I pay the asking price, and watch one of the most time consuming detailed skilled repairs you can imagine. I pick the 1 inch soft foam, he sculpts the one piece with the new foam and WOW! I cannot believe it, no leather cutting, just butt perfection. Firm in the middle, soft on the sides, yet perfect grab for cornering. I think I'm going to sleep in it. I took a shot on somethng new for my baby and it actually worked out!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:59 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrats on CS purchase. Yes the bottom of all standard seats in Cayenne is shaped funny (too much butt bolster laterally), but I got used to it. With my CTT, I've ordered the sport seat and hope it will feel better.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:16 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow congrats!! pictures please!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:08 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, what you described is a real issue, although it's not frequently discussed for some reason (most folks prefer to talk about wheels and exhausts).

I'm not that big in build, and find the side bolsters to be a pain. I'm actually surprised that Porsche didn't make any change to the seats when the facelift came out. Glad to hear that you found a solution. Too bad it's not an easy cookie cutter solution! Would love to see a pic of your seats!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 590 Posts

Wow...I just picked up my new Cayenne tonight and noticed the side bolsters during my 20km trip home. I'm hoping they soften up a little with more miles...
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zedder-

They will.

When I bought mine I had the same issue, and it bugged me. But now I don't even think about it.

In fact, I had an '08 loaner the other day and it was like that when I drove home, but after that, I similarly did not notice an issue.

I do embrace the idea of solving problems with $$$ as SKYSTAK has. But I also have a legitimate question as to whether it is really necessary. While the seat seems to have been desiged for the proverbial "98-lb weakling" or someone from a country where food is somewhat scarce, it seems to adapt pretty quickly to normal people despite what the reputed "foam experts" say.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:57 AM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as i said, you can live with it or fix it. i find it to be way better. I expect that the purest will rough it on any non-factory mods and thats fine "because Porsche designed that way for a reason dam#@". i just suggested a fix which is also fine and very comfie as well. This is my second Porsche, the 911 seat does not have the enlarged side bolsters. I wasn't going to drive it long enough to ignore it or wait for it to break in, which it won't as it not designed to do that. It is a filled one piece mold, which you really need to see. Just looking at the density will easily allow you to deduce that it will have very little brake in over time. It's almost like a plastic, that's is how it stays firm.
And YES, butts are fair game as much as wheels and exhausts! fun even
Old 10-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forget the butt - show us the white on Chestnut!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Custom butt seat