Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Prodigy Brake Controller Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007 | 11:00 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Default Help with Prodigy Brake Controller Install

In the back of my mind I knew there were issues with the Prodigy but like a dumb *** I had one installed because I was in a pinch and it doesn't work.

I didn't watch the installers close enough and next thing I know the factory brake terminal was gone with a pair of wire cutters. The Prodigy doesn't work right, it's like it constantly pumping the trailer brakes and I am dragging it around.

So I took it back and they said tough **** go to the dealer and unplugged the controller.

So I am going back and make it their issue with some of the printed threads on how to wire it correctly.

So my question is if they already wired the controller the way they though it should have been is it just a matter of swapping two wires to get it to work right. I have the TIP sheet that is from Prodigy showing what needs to be done. I may even try to do it myself.

The doc says to connect the controller RED wire to black / red wire at the vehicle stop lamp switch. What is the stop lamp switch. Is this the factory connector that is stuffed under the dash that they cut off.

There is also some posts about the Primus controller. Does this have the same wiring issues as the Prodigy or will it just mate up with what I have now, which is wrong for the prodigy but maybe right for the Primus.
Old 08-28-2007 | 11:17 PM
Sharptt
Pro

I don't remember what exactly had to be done but my Prodigy was installed by my Porsche dealer and did not work properly. The technician called the company and they told him what he needed to do to make it work properly in the Cayenne. It's worked perfectly since then. You probably can call the company yourself and get the answers you need. Great unit once it is installed properly.
Old 08-29-2007 | 10:44 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Larry should have some answers for you
Old 08-29-2007 | 04:32 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I suggest you do a search before posting such questions as we have covered much ground here over the past few years and it might provide quicker answers to your queries...

Click here to read my install instructions I made a few years back for the Cayenne and Prodigy...

Good Luck and hope all works out well!!!

Last edited by JFScheck; 08-29-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2007 | 04:44 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

OMG it sounds like the girl behind the counter at Uhaul wired it EXCEPT they have been told nationally not to do any electrics on Cayenne, dealer only.
Old 08-29-2007 | 08:51 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by JFScheck
I suggest you do a search before posting such questions as we have covered much ground here over the past few years and it might provide quicker answers to your queries...

Click here to read my install instructions I made a few years back for the Cayenne and Prodigy...

Good Luck and hope all works out well!!!

I did read this post and others about the Pordigy install. What I was trying to figure out is how to un-do what the installer did. I didn't follow where to get the brake wire. I think I found everything.

I would like to get the prodigy to work but I don't have much confidence in the installer and now other shops won't touch it. So I called Tenkonsia directly and they said the Voyager and Primus will work the best because of the 3volts issues like the prodigy has. The Primus better because the plug will mate up with the prodigy that has already been installed. The voyager would need to be re-wired since it does not use a plug. I'm short I time since I need to tow my 911 to Road America this weekend.

Either way my F'n cayenne is in the shop for a super rough idle, it's like the car is driving on flat tires...coils anyone...And it blows smoke at start-up 80% of the time. Oh-yeah, it's down 2qts of oil in less then 1k miles and I just had my 10k service...upside down oil scraper...
Old 08-31-2007 | 02:41 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not to be a negative nelle - but sounds like your "Pepper" is actually a "Lemon".

Hope all get's fixed and Best of Luck!

Quick Reply: Help with Prodigy Brake Controller Install