Sponsored by:

PCM Retrofit on '04?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PCM Retrofit on '04?

Okay gang, some of this was discussed on another thread but I am tring to sort of bring it to the fore -

I have an 04CS with the Bose sound system, CD changer, and CDR32. I want to retrofit a PCM unit with nav and the XM module. No problem right? I mean, there are Tequipment P/Ns for this stuff!

My Chicago area dealers seem to be having a tough time with the concept.

My main dealer (Napleton Porsche in Westmont) is really balking. "I am not sure you can even do that". I say "Why don't you find out, give me a solid figure, and we'll go from there". I finally have to call HIM back 3 days later and he says "Still not sure, but the price should be right around ten, ten five, something like that". I say "that sounds a lot higher than what I have heard. I also ask "I thought you said that this could be done and you've done it. What did THAT one cost?" He says "That one cost about about seven thousand" I say "Well?" Dead air. Then he says "I have to find out if it can be done in the first place. Let me call you back"

So I call MotorWerks of Barrington. They are huge. They do everything, right? The guy says "Yeah it can be done on an 04, but it doesn't work. It may work on some of the cars produced later in the run, like those built at the end of the model year. I will have to see and call you back"

What am I missing here besides residency in places that have good dealerships? There are 3 or 4 more dealers to try but this is ridiculous.

And no I don't want to trade my car (well not a car, but definitely not a truck...I am not sure what it is) for another one just to get this feature, but in my area, it seems like they are forcing my hand.

Is there anything to their assertions that such a retrofit is indeed a mind-boggling affair that is unlikely to be successful?

Last edited by HD2pct; 08-16-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:50 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting a new PCM under warranty. Dealer told me if he had to replace it after warrant expired it would be more than $5K. (Whew) When ordered as an original option it was $3,100. It is even more to put it in after, plus labor etc. Others have reported paying even more with Sat and NAV. I recall hearing as much as $7000.

Check the KBB value on your '04. Cost of the upgraded radio seems like it would be a lot relative to the value of the car and I'm not sure you would recoup it.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:44 PM
billyg
Advanced

Rome, Paul and Steve at Porsche Nashua are 2 of the best techies that
I've delt with. Paul does all the audio installs and will be doing mine next
week.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:15 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PCM retrofit can be done. There are detailed instructions available from Porsche but you're SOL for factory satellite radio. That can only be done on 05 and later Cayennes with PCM2.1. I would expect to pay around 5 grand from the dealer for the PCM2 installation kit (part number 955.044.900.02) and somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 or 8 hours labor.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:17 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billyg
Rome, Paul and Steve at Porsche Nashua are 2 of the best techies that
I've delt with. Paul does all the audio installs and will be doing mine next
week.
Agreed. Those guys are great. I'll be seeing them next week.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:35 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Hey thanks for the input everyone.

The plot only thickens - my main dealer called back and said that we are all set, and that they have the complete "kit", with XM module and all ready to go. Cost is high 8k range.

I might do it. Hey come on, a lot of people on here are equally crazy and some even more so.

rome, I totally agree with you as far as cost relative to the KBB. But I have only 28.5k mi on my car and a few other little upgrades I like and I have sort of a sentimental attachment...stuff like that. I could say screw it and get an 06 for 20k additional. It will be the same car, exactly, with almost the same mileage, with stuff that is fixed by redesign at Porsche that has been fixed on mine via warranty work.

Most importantly, I can add gizmos to my ride all day long without a justification to the little lady. You all know what I mean.

OTOH, I would also like PASM, and that CAN'T be retrofitted. Soooo........
Old 08-31-2007, 10:20 AM
HD2pct
Pro

I thought I might close the loop on this little saga for those who might be in a similar position.

After considering my apparent loss of sanity, I told the dealer that it was a "go" - PCM,nav,XM module, etc, somewhere north of $8k. My major impetus for this was seamless XM integration, plus the main PCM/nav unit does have some other marginally useful features (Wiki: "rationalization").

After a day and a half, my guy called to say, "Everything is great! Come and pick it up!".

When I got there, he said "Looks like we have alittle problem - the tech did not 'program' your XM. We are going to need your car again tomorrow, maybe for 2-3 hours". I took that to mean that there needed to be some software installation to get PCM to talk to the XM module. But 2-3 hours sounded fishy.

I brought the thing in first thing the next day and left it with them. Two hours later they called and told me that the setup would not work. The XM module only works with the updated PCM which will not work in an '04 without serious and outrageously expensive work. So my choice was to have them 1)pull everything out and put my CDR-23 back in and forget the whole thing, or 2)put an outboard XM unit somewhere in the car, or 3)just go without XM.

I went with option 2 and they put a Audiovox CommanderMT in there, with the promise of zero wires anywhere. It matches the interior of my car perfectly and there are indeed no exposed wires - not even 1mm worth. So here I am with what I was trying to avoid in the first place (although admittedly the best possible install), and my new $7,000 toy right next to it!

Those are the breaks, Beta owners! When dealers say to you, as they did to me, "uhhhh...I am not sure that will work", think twice about it when someone pops up and says "we're all set!"

Last edited by HD2pct; 08-31-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:59 PM
billyg
Advanced

HD2pct and others do you notice a difference in your stereo sound? We had the PCM
installed and my wife after only 1 short trip thinks the sound coming from the CDR-23
was better! Should the receiver really make a difference? I thought the PCM if anything,
because its more expensive and made also by Harman Becker if I'm correct, would create
a better sound.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:48 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by billyg
HD2pct and others do you notice a difference in your stereo sound? We had the PCM
installed and my wife after only 1 short trip thinks the sound coming from the CDR-23
was better! Should the receiver really make a difference? I thought the PCM if anything,
because its more expensive and made also by Harman Becker if I'm correct, would create
a better sound.
Billy - There is no appreciable difference in sound as far as I am concerned. I wonder if the audio specs for these units are published somewhere. Both PCM and CDR-23 seem to have the same feature set and all that - just different interfaces, and really, the business end of the sound system is outboard the head units. I definitely would NOT upgrade to PCM simply in the quest for better sound!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:03 PM
billyg
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy with the nav and xm despite my wife
thinking it's an inferior sound. As for me, I'm convincing myself that
the sound is better because of the cost!

Quick Reply: PCM Retrofit on '04?