Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

phone prep kit option CS 2005 ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy phone prep kit option CS 2005 ???

Hi,
I ordered a phone prep option with my 2005 CS (without NAV system) at cost of $300, it came with a cradle in a bag that attaches to the center bar and nothing else, I want to guess that it is some sort of hard wire phone option that may require cell phone specific adapter, but to this date no one in Porsche has been able to either install it or explain how it works.
I would appreciate any input re: this question,
thanks,
SA
Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow, another tinkerer! Do a search on the threads that mention THB Bury. I had this setup installed on my Beta model Cayenne S. It was a 2004 with the CDR-23 head unit. There are actually TWO KITS that are needed. One is the phone prep kit and one contains the wiring harness that connects the THB connection module into the MOST ring in your car. If you actually ORDERED this from the factory, you should have all the pieces installed. What you need to make your setup work is one of the cradles from THB-Bury. You can go here and scroll down to the US flag at the bottom of the page and find places here in the US that will sell cadles for your paricular phone. Note that they also have a Bluetooth module that works quite well. I had a for-real factory setup in my Beta model and was very pleased with it.

Be certain to get VERY CHUMMY with your dealer's service manager, as there will need to be some programing done via the PIWIS to make this all work properly. Also, note that the microphone for your phone is in the overhead console, and the sound will emanate from the passenger speaker ONLY. Good luck.

Toby
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
Hi,
I ordered a phone prep option with my 2005 CS (without NAV system) at cost of $300, it came with a cradle in a bag that attaches to the center bar and nothing else, I want to guess that it is some sort of hard wire phone option that may require cell phone specific adapter, but to this date no one in Porsche has been able to either install it or explain how it works.
I would appreciate any input re: this question,
thanks,
SA
See I told you that rennlist could probably help! Toby to the rescue in mere minutes! Good Luck, keep the forum up to date on your progress or lack thereof. ltc may be able to offer some input as well. Welcome to Rennlist's Cayenne forum. Join and you get to look at TSB's, beautiful women who own Peppers and the secret recipe to Purplesaurus Rex.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
ltc may be able to offer some input as well.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist, Sam. We've been chatting over at RF for a while now, glad you made it over here.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:25 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Welcome to Rennlist, Sam. We've been chatting over at RF for a while now, glad you made it over here.
You're a R-panish F-ly too with Mudman and me?! Now we've got Sam where we wanted him.... on the dark side!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:35 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MadFox
You're a R-panish F-ly too with Mudman and me?! Now we've got Sam where we wanted him.... on the dark side!
That's how I found out about Rennlist. You two were crowing about it :-D
Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Default Phone prep kit...

Wow! thank you Toby, you are actually the first person to know anything about that mysterious phone option, THANK YOU.

Also, Thanks MadFox, for referring me here, it seems like a P-philes extended family...

Going back to the main topic, my option was ordered thru Porsche factory, so based on that how does this option work with the blue-tooth device? I have already left a mssg with the TH Bury company. I have an iPhone which is compatible.

merci all,
Sam CS 05
Old 08-23-2007, 08:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, Thanks MadFox, for referring me here, it seems like a P-philes extended family...
Yes, the Adams Family
Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Also, Thanks MadFox, for referring me here, it seems like a Pedophiles extended family...
I think it's got a ring to it
Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
That's how I found out about Rennlist. You two were crowing about it :-D
Men crowing? Are you calling us roosters or something else?

Last edited by MadFox; 08-24-2007 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Clean-up
Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow! thank you Toby, you are actually the first person to know anything about that mysterious phone option, THANK YOU.

Going back to the main topic, my option was ordered thru Porsche factory, so based on that how does this option work with the blue-tooth device? I have already left a mssg with the TH Bury company. I have an iPhone which is compatible.

merci all,
Sam CS 05
Sam,

You want the Bluetooth adapter with the DSP embedded in it. Here is the newer generation one and it seems to be in stock. The one I had was called the System 8 Blue Adapter. It was simply a BT receiver/transmitter that plugged into the cradle and was paired to your phone. Don't know if you can still get them or not, but the USA THB site lists a combo cradle (that holds your phone) and BT adapter. While they may say that they don't support a specific model of phone, as long as your phone supports the BT2.0 spec, you should be OK. Good luck!

Toby
Old 08-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Thanks again Toby,

I did look at the product which the site claims IS compatible with iPhone,

NOW! pretend that I am a blind man and you, the good citizen, wants to help me pass a busy street,

OK! in simple words please explain how this BT device will connect with Phone prep option installed by the Porsche factory and what should I tell my P dealer when I call them for installation appt.?

I hate to be pain...
thanks a million,

Sam
Old 08-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sam,

That cradle acts like a BT headset that is wired into your CDR-23 headunit. Essentially, it serves as the link between your phone and the vehicle's electronics. You should receive pairing instructions that tell you how to put the cradle into a "discoverable" mode. From there, get your iPhone to search for new BT devices. It should "see" your cradle and ask for a 4-digit PIN code (usually 0000, but should be specified in the instructions you get with the cradle). Once you enter that code on the phone, pairing should be accepted by both devices and you will see a BT device called something (mine was called BlueAdap). Be sure that you designate this device with a "hands-free" profile and you should be in business. You should now be able to answer calls and hear/talk via your Pepper. You may also be able to trigger voice dialing, but don't hold out high expectations that your phone will overcome all the ambient noises produced by your car and recognize the name you are asking the phone to dial. Simply getting BT to work for listening and talking should be cause for celebration. Good luck!

Toby
Old 08-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Smile phone prep.

Thanks Toby,
I am familiar with BT pairing, so as I understand this Bury device is then capable of being hard wired to the CDR23 unit via the installed Porsche phone option, now, will the dealer connect the two units? you'd also mentioned something about dealer programming the process...? since most of the times they just don't know much, can you refer me to the dealer that installed for you so I can use them as reference if needed,
you have been a great help,
I appreciate your time,
Sam

Quick Reply: phone prep kit option CS 2005 ???